Photo

When is sanity/stamina restored in the asylum/hospital?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

The situation is this: investigator X fights a monster, fails miserably and is left with 1 sanity and 0 stamina. Investigator X is knocked unconscious and therefore ends up in the hospital. In the following mythos phase, monsters with the square symbol move, and an unlucky die roll for the Colour Out of Space causes each investigator to lose 1 sanity. What happens to investigator X?

I can think of three different ways of playing this:

1. The investigator is unconscious until the end of the mythos phase and does, for some reason, not take damage from the Colour Out of Space. At the end of the mythos phase, the investigator is restored to 1 stamina.

2. The investigator is unconscious until the end of the mythos phase, takes damage from the Colour Out of Space and is devoured. The player draws a new investigator who enters play the next upkeep phase.

3. The investigator is immediately restored to 1 stamina, takes damage from the Colour Out of Space, is driven insane and moves to the asylum. The investigator is immediately restored to 1 sanity, but may have lost as much as 3/4 (three fourths) of his/her items and clue tokens in a single round. (First investigator X lost half of his/her items and clue tokens when X was knocked unconscious, and then X lost half of the remaining half (!) when X was driven insane.)

So how am I supposed to play this? I can't really think of a good reason why the investigator should not take damage from the Colour Out of Space (case 1), so I guess the investigator is just very unlucky. But just how unlucky?

#2 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

3.  All of the unconsciousness stuff (discard/move/regain 1) happens immediately, so Investigator X goes unconscious and insane in the same turn.  Similar deal as if it'd been a Chthonian instead of a Colour; you'd just get knocked unconscious twice.  It's a good reason to get rid of those guys!

#3 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

In order to get rid of them you have to have a good chance at killing them.  Also you'll most likely have to send the investigator into a gate since they'll be spending a large percentage of their time gate camping.  The only reason I say this is because Chthonians and Colours always seem to spawn when my investigator(s) capable of killing them are off in a gate or simply don't exist.  When rolling for their movement the first player ALWAYS seems to roll high.  :(

subochre is right about #3.  You'd end up at the Asylum with one stamina and one sanity.

#4 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

"Good lord, what happened?"

"Aw, this guy gets hauled in here lookin' like someone ran him through a paper mill.  The docs barely got him stabilized when he bolts awake and starts screamin' about some fizz inside his brain before he goes all catatonic, just starin' and droolin'.  So they're packin' him up to the nuthatch."

"Sheesh.  Must be Tuesday."

What was that noise?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS