Kill Team without devastator?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MikeN

MikeN

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'm preparing for a new DW campaign with a 3-man kill-team comprising a Rune-priest, Techmarine & tactical. i'm wondering that without a Dev. they will lack firepower vs hordes? But I don't want to throw in a Dev. npc and run them like a walking Gun-servitor. Have other GM's ran games without Devastators and how did the KT fare?

#2 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

Is something stopping them from recquisitioning a heavy weapon?

#3 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

To build on the point bogi is trying to make, Unrelenting Devastation isn't that critical to taking down hordes. A heavy bolter, well placed frag missile, or metal storm ammo in a boltgun is still sufficient.

Also, the rune priest has this covered. Your actual concern should be a lack of an apothecary or anyone with a medicae skill.

#4 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

Killteam Onslaught in my campaign have a Chaplain (tactical marine), an assault marine Champion, a Librarian Keeper-in-Training, a Killmarine (tactical) and a Forge Master. They've never failed a mission and have rarely not completed all primary and secondary objectives to boot. They have lost limbs and fate points since I don't go easy on them. So no, a devastator is not absolutely essential by any means.

#5 MikeN

MikeN

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Appreciate the feedback. The tac-marine can requisition a heavy bolter & the tech is a Salamander who will probably take a flamer as his primary weapon. That's reassured me about them not having the Dev in the Kill Team. 

#6 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

KommissarK brings up a good point though: the lack of Medicae might become a problem. I might consider making Mediace available as an elite advance.

I would argue that the Devastator is the most replaceable of the specialities. Yes, no one will be quite as good as he is at laying down the Heavy beats, but a Tactical Marine with the right build and equipment can come close enough that it won't matter much.

#7 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

And with errata, the bonus to horde damage from the Devastator squad ability is +1D5 per attack. Not a massive difference.

Killteam Onslaught have a joint follower, The Black Skull. An advanced servo-skull made from the remains of a Black Shield apothecary, it stays hidden during combat and gives the Killteam first aid after the dust settles. It means they can pick themselves up after tough fights that much quicker without handwaving away wounds.

#8 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Double post, please ignore.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS