I think this game is too hard…

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Its unreasonable hard for me. I am still stuck at  core set quest 3. No matter 1 or 2 players, with 2 large and 2 small expansions, with different sizes of deck (30,40 or 50), with different kinds of combination of heroes, i still couldnt make it. Its just too hard for me. The enemies hard (a lot of them have 5+ HP&DEF), so many locations(surge, high threaten level) and damage trap, shadow cards are strong (2 damages to each exhausted hero, forced 2 resources to recover a hero etc. )

Maybe i am not playing carefully enough, but even if i uncover all the encounter cards and play, i still couldnt get through this quest, i mean, if a game makes me fail every time no matter how carefully u plan ahead, it will depress me. When i loose, i just feel i had a bad luck of drawing the worst encounter cards.

I v been playing mage knight boardgame also. That game is hard too and i need to think a lot before making a decision of what to do next, but hey, i can achieve my goal by planning and it really satisfies me a lot. For LOTR LCG, even if i win a game like quest 2 hill troll, i just feel i was lucky because the encounter cards didnt trouble me too much.

So what about you guys, are you feel depressed about this game? Or do you always win a level 7 quest with ease?

BTW, i v been playing this game for 2 months, with 2 months i can play puerto rico and twilight struggle online pretty well (over 70%  win rate vs real persons), with a week i can solo mage knight the board game with no big problems. So i dont think i couldnt play this game well just because i am not smart enough, then what wrong with me? 

#2 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

I wouldnt be hard on yourself and dont give up on the game. Ive been playing for nearly a year and have only beaten Dol Guldur once in a 3 player mode, never solo which is 90% of my games.  After the core set you get Adventure Packs with varying levels of difficulty but with these come new cards to make your deck better and the quests more achievable. In my first few months i won about 10% of my games which i thought was bad but once you expand your card range and learn new combos, you will win more often.  Again, dont give up on this game its fantastic, i assure you that the satisfaction you will get in a few months will be well worth it. Buy the APs, play regularly, examine the card combos and watch some you tube vids which will give you little tips on tactics to defeat the quests, Cheers.

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hmmmm Dol-Guldor is really difficult to play solo yes but in 2 player or more is actually quite easy.

I think you have some problem with deck building and you need also choose right combination of heroes.

Maybe you understand rules wrong???

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

dont get depressed about this- when the game first came out, i lost ALOT….and i mean an hell of a lot. why did i lose? …..poor deckbuilding

this is what everything really comes down to…its not so much how you play, but what you play. a good deck (or two) will be able to handle the encounter deck and what it can throw at you, whether that be lots of enemies, locations or treacheries.

as said above dol guldur is hard, so dont dwell on that…it took my a long time to win this multiplayer and ive never won it solo. i have however won everything else out at the moment so i think this shows what a hard quest it is

also remember that your card pool is relatively low at the moment. there are some amazing cards out there that can really help. not that im saying this is a 'pay to win game' but the idea of a greater card pool is more choice and better combos.

2 months isnt that long. ive been playing for a year and a half and still loose often enough to make this game as challenging as when i first bought it (well not all are as challenging, but many are)

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

The game is quite hard, indeed, but Dol Guldur is next to impossible solo. I play this game for a long time now and never defeated alone - I tried for probably one or two months after getting the game, then I forfeit it. 

All the other quests have similar difficulty to the second quest in the Core set, but they usually focus in different aspects - while the Journey Along the Anduin focus on combat and enemy engagement choices, others may focus on treachery cards, questing power, quickness, etc…

You'll have more success if you try a deck for each quest before trying the "One Deck to Rule Them All" method; this way you will have knowledge on how to beat each quest when deckbuilding.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#6 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Thank you guys, i feel much better now. I think i will start to watch some youtube  OCTGN video and learn first.

Last night i was thinking about to sell this game. There are new games coming out every month, attracting me so much. 

With your words, i understand this game is hard not because it has a bad mechanism, the problem is my deck building,

With 2 big and 2 small expansions my original box still is not full, i think i may have to buy another small expansion or just wait for the new larger gondor expansion coming out.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Thank you guys, i feel much better now. I think i will start to watch some youtube  OCTGN video and learn first.

Last night i was thinking about to sell this game. There are new games coming out every month, attracting me so much. 

With your words, i understand this game is hard not because it has a bad mechanism, the problem is my deck building,

With 2 big and 2 small expansions my original box still is not full, i think i may have to buy another small expansion or just wait for the new larger gondor expansion coming out.

im pleased youve decided to stay around….this game can be hard and ive seen too many people give up on it (or perhaps they stopped posting…) but anyways with a decent card pool and deck building you should soon lose that frustration

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#8 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

I am very often terrible at this game, and I've been playing well over a year now. All of the recent scenarios I cannot complete, and I do often get really depressed by it (case in point, I haven't played it in over two months). But I love it, somehow, and I will keep buying the expansions. Maybe I'm just too strange…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#9 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Somewhere here in the forums Rich answered a guy about the Adventure Packs and he also gave tips on which (good) cards came with each pack. You should take a look.

spalanzani said:

Maybe I'm just too strange…

Why, aren't we all? ;)

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#10 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I just love the exigency of this game on deckbuilding.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS