Hobbit Quest 3 issues

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Apologies if there is already a thread for this, if there is then someone just link me to it. I'm also posting this without the cards or rules handy, so sorry for any mistakes…

We are having great difficulty with the third Quest from the OHaUH Hobbit box, so much so that we're not sure we're interpretting the rules properly.  Let me see if we have this right…
You cannot move on to the third part of the Quest until you correctly answer 9 Riddles, all of which involve randomly discarding cards from the top of your deck.  If you incorrectly guess at what card will be discarded, Gollum does 1 damage to Bilbo, who cannot be healed.  So we have to correctly guess 9 times before we make 3 wrong guesses or else Bilbo dies…
How are we supposed to beat this, short of rebuilding our decks to increase our chances of guessing what will be discarded?  We have a 4-player party using mostly mixed-sphere decks; it would be bad enough if the Riddles only required us to guess 1 thing about the card (sphere, type, etc) but some of them require you to guess multiple attributes correctly, like both the cost and sphere.  wtf!

How is anyone beating this other than dumb luck and playing it over and over?  I really hope somone just tells me we are doing it completely wrong; its the most frustrating experience I've had with this game since the "escape test" Quest when Gollum got shuffled back into the encounter deck.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

seems like you are playing it correctly, but if i remember rightly then you place however many cards you guess right as progress tokens on the card so it can end up being more than 1progress per riddle answered

also you can use the ring and bilbos resoucres to discard more cards

finally i played this with 3 player and it was hard but i think its actually easier with less people….i also think alot of people build decks specially for this quest

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

richsabre said:

i also think alot of people build decks specially for this quest

grumble… I was afraid that I was going to get that answer.  We're not keen on that approach b/c we like playing with the decks we have; we enjoy the challenge of trying to beat every Quest with the same builds, not just taking advantage of the card pool to build something that is specifically designed to win one particular Quest.  Whats the point in playing if you've built a deck based on knowledge of all the bad stuff thats going to happen from the Encounter deck?  In that case you can't really lose unless you get bad draw; its kind of like using god mode when playing a video game - fun for a minute but ultimately not very rewarding.

#4 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Ive played this quest about 15 times and won only once. After the few initial goes i had to tailor my deck to be able to defeat the quest and also to limit my expanse of cards to a single sphere and mainly two cost allies, events etc which made the riddle guessing achievable.  Part of the fun for me is when i get defeated i go back to reshaping my deck in order to be able to win(or at least get further along the quest).  I know you must be frustrated as you want your one ready built deck to defeat all adventures but with this game im afraid you will need to tinker around with your decks to suit the quest you will be going on. Good luck with it and dont give in, just limit your spheres and cost of cards with this one and im sure you will get further, Cheers.

#5 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Don't forget about treasures that you can collect in the first scenario.
My friends and I beat this scenario (3 players) fairly easily with Sting on Bilbo (he doesn't take damage from Gollum anymore), and Orcrist on Elladan with a bow (insta-kill all the goblins).

#6 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Emrad said:

Don't forget about treasures that you can collect in the first scenario.
My friends and I beat this scenario (3 players) fairly easily with Sting on Bilbo (he doesn't take damage from Gollum anymore), and Orcrist on Elladan with a bow (insta-kill all the goblins).

Strictly speaking, I'm not certain Sting would work - as per the rules inset, cards in the riddle area (including Bilbo) are immune to player card effects, and treasures are player cards. This, however, would seem rather silly.

I may have got this all wrong - I haven't actually played the Hobbit scenarios yet, I've just looked at the rules.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#7 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

Yes, I don't think Sting works.

I must admit I haven't yet played the third Hobbit scenario, but wouldn't the riddle game be made a lot easier through the timely use of Imladris Stargazer / Gildor? As long as you know which card is on top of your play deck when you play the riddle game, you'll always win.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

Yes, I don't think Sting works.

I must admit I haven't yet played the third Hobbit scenario, but wouldn't the riddle game be made a lot easier through the timely use of Imladris Stargazer / Gildor? As long as you know which card is on top of your play deck when you play the riddle game, you'll always win.

you always have to shuffle right before doing riddles

rich

#9 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

You don't need to build a deck tailored to the quest; you do, however, need to know the composition of your deck like the back of your hand. Realizing things like "I have 20 attachments left in my deck" can go a long way. Even then, sometimes you'll just get hosed. Such is the nature of a game with random elements.

#10 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Man, I had never thought that Sting was prohibited on Bilbo in quest 3…

It made so much sense to me to have the benefit from the treasure you took time to loot… but I guess you're right, Treasure cards become player cards after all.

About the Treasure quest, aren't you annoyed by the way the Purse and the Key work? Basically, if you see them before the Trolls arrive, there's no way you can loot them. How frustrating is that? :P My friends and I homeruled that those objectives are attached to the Trolls when they appear.

#11 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Emrad said:

About the Treasure quest, aren't you annoyed by the way the Purse and the Key work? Basically, if you see them before the Trolls arrive, there's no way you can loot them. How frustrating is that? :P My friends and I homeruled that those objectives are attached to the Trolls when they appear.

This situation has been clarified by Caleb Grace of FFG. If the objectives are revealed before the trolls are in play, the Key/Purse are discarded. This gives you a chance to acquire them when the encounter deck is reshuffled.

#12 13edl@m

13edl@m

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

My play group had problems with this as well.  We sort of cheesed it a bit though.  Between the four of us we had a Rohan deck and a tactics deck that were nearly pure sphere and each had a sizable and predictable card draw.(centering mostly on allies)  We simply nominated the Rohan deck to be first player and the tactics player to follow him.  Low and behold we passed the riddles in fair shape.  It's disputable whether it's a cheap tactic going into the scenario deciding who goes first or not, but in this scenario we take what we can get.

#13 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Emrad said:

Man, I had never thought that Sting was prohibited on Bilbo in quest 3…

It made so much sense to me to have the benefit from the treasure you took time to loot… but I guess you're right, Treasure cards become player cards after all.

Though on reflection - if you could use Sting on Bilbo here, it would make it impossible for Gollum to damage him. Which would make things rather too easy, I think. It still doesn't make sense thematically though.

#14 John85

John85

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Happy Birthday jjeagle

#15 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

John85 said:

Happy Birthday jjeagle

happy birthdday from me also (though im not sure the ffg birthday thing works- it was mine yesterday and it failed to recognise it…it did however give another poster a cake sign that quoted me….so i guess that counts haha

#16 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Well, thank you both - but I don't quite understand this - it isn't my birthday, and I entered my DOB correctly in my FFG profile. So I don't know why the birthday cake has come up!

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

jjeagle said:

Well, thank you both - but I don't quite understand this - it isn't my birthday, and I entered my DOB correctly in my FFG profile. So I don't know why the birthday cake has come up!

i think they gave you mine from yesterday

#18 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

haha, I had the cake as well two days ago and  my birthday is in July…
Weird huh?

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS