So I suddenly came to think about an alternative setting for Deathwatch and one that I would like to share and see what you think about it. Most likely the number of plot holes and logical gaps will take it down, but I thought that I should bring it out at least.
The basic setting is as follows:
- All the 18 Legions are still loyal as such but are missing their Primarchs
- None of the Primarchs fell to Chaos and there was no Horus Heresy
- Instead of Horus wounding the Emperor the Void Dragon awoke on Mars along brought about the fall of the Emperor and his entombment in the Golden Throne (and potentially with the Eldar playing a part as well)
- With the loss of the Emperor's guidence the Primarchs more or less fell on each other, driven by ancient rivalries and conflicting visions for mankind's future, and in their struggle the Legions destroyed the Imperium that the Great Crusade was origionally formed for, and most of the Primarchs were slain during these wars
- Finally the last Primarchs agreed to truce to uphold mankind's defense in the face of mounting threats to the Imperium, and this includes the adoption of the Codex Astartes to prevent such horrific internal wars among the Astartes from ever recurring again (thinking about skipping the Codex Astartes part…) before also they went missing over the next millennium
- With the loss of both the Emperor and the Primarchs Chaos wormed its influence into the hears of mankind and started making inroads in significent ways, including making large numbers of Adeptus Astartes fall to the Ruinous Powers
- The Deathwatch was formed as a way of trying to bridge the great distances and bitter hatred that existed between the Legions sine the great war between the Legions, in addition to the tasks they recived from the Ordo Xenos
Any comments, ideas, suggestions and critics are of course welcome.