My Worlds Report

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

First off, everyone at the tournament seemed to have a good time, and everyone that I played against were good sports and were great to talk strategies and tactics with. Thank you to FFG and all of the judges. They were all very helpful and just made it a great day. I have to say I really came away glad to have met so many good people, and it really made for an enjoyable day.

We had 24 people. I played: Darth vader with Swarm tactics, Howlrunner with swarm tactics, Obsidian, and 3 Academy Pilots. The theory behind my squad is to keep everyone within 1 of Howlrunner for rerolling dice, which I typically need. Vader gives swarm tactics to one AP, and Howlrunner does the same with another. If I'm facing a Rebel squad, their rookies are level 2, so I'm getting 5 shots in before their rookies attack. Since my AP's go first, I can also use my AP's to block their ships, thus taking away their actions. The trick is to keep my squad close to each other, making the best use of Howlrunner's ability, which doesn't always work out.

One of the main reasons I went to Worlds was to branch out from my local gaming group and see what other people are playing and how they are playing this game. Since this game is fairly new, I really wanted to learn about what other squads and strategies people were using. From what i could see, i think there was about half and half split between Rebels and Imperials, but the main gripe was that mostly the Rebels played Rebels and Imperials played Imperials. There wasn't nearly as much rebels vs imps as there should have been.

My first game was against Thomas from Milwaukee. He had 7 TIEs, so between us we had 13 TIEs on the board. Lemme just say, Imp vs Imp battles tend to go to time, since TIEs are more defensive than offensive. I did my usual setup and opening move (it might just be better to try and watch one of the videos to see it rather than for me to try and explain it.) There wasn't a lot of casualties in this game (it was a live-fire Imperial training exercise…:) In the final round, I had 1 of his ships gone, and he had one of mine gone, so i was just a little ahead of him on points. Last round I finally killed his Mauler Mithel, and he had a shot on vader, who had no shields and 1 Damage. He rolls 3 hits. If i don't roll 2 evades, vader's dead and I lose the match. i rolled 3 evades. That game was that close, and it was a great game against a great guy.

My second game was against Nick from Madison. He ran Wedge, 2 rookie pilots and Gold Squadron with ion cannon. In some of my prep games againsgt my wife, she played ion cannons and beat the crap out of me, hitting them every time. So I wanted to get the Ywing gone, but I had to take out Wedge first. So my first attack round I concentrated on Wedge, and was able to take him out. My second round I concentrated on the Ywing and took it out. The third round I got some shots on his rookies, i took one out, and the other was damaged, so he conceded.

My third game was recorded, against Adam from Indianapolis. He set up asteroids right in the middle of the board, so that kind of screwed my strategy a bit. So I set up in one corner of the board, and he set up in the other. He was playing the Imperial all-stars (named TIEs.) I wanted to do all of my fighting in one of the clear corners of the board, so i flew there, and he came at me through the asteroids. he took a few hits, but his squad really didn't need the cohesion that mine did. This game also went to time. I killed 2 of his ships, for a total of 33 points, so it counted as a (I forget the name of it, kill them all) win. That was an interesting game due to the asteroid setup and just where all of the fighting took place, but I ended up winning.

My fourth game was the semifinal against Ryan from Milwaukee. He played vader with 5 Obsidians, and Vader had Concussion Missiles. We set up directly across from each other, so this was going to be a quick and painful game. I did my usual setup, and he set his up 3 wide and 2 deep. The trouble with his setup is that 3 ties don't usually fit between asteroids, so he was colliding with himself trying to avoid the asteroids. The battle was painful, i think he ended up killing 2 of mine, and I killed all but 1 of his, so he conceded as well.  That game was plagued by his bad rolling. His missiles failed to even get a hit, and many times he rolled 3 blanks on defense. It was getting late by that time, so we were both happy to just go straight for each other and duke it out. For getting to the semifinals, we each got Millenium Falcon and acrylic focus tokens.

In the final game, I played Nick again. The four finalists were 3 undefeateds and Nick, since I was his only loss. That game was recorded as well. i did my usual setup. First attacking round I lost Howlrunner (good job, Nick) and I killed Wedge. So both of our squads were completely different after that round. I focused on the Ywing again and knocked it out. My AP's spun and killed one of his rookies, and I think his other was damaged, so he conceded again. I did mistakenly roll 3 dice once instead of 2, so I was happy to take a total miss, but he allowed me to reroll, and I hit. Luckily i completely missed on a shot shortly afterwards. Karma. Nick was a great guy, and I'm glad he got to the final round. He deserved a trophy and more. I look forward to trying to set up a time and location when our gaming groups can get together for a day of fun.

Thank you to FFG and all of the judges for designing a great game. :) Look forward to defending my crown next year. :) And honestly, I look forward to the game growing and seeing what squads people bring next year. See you then!

#2 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Nice report and congrats as well.

#3 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Congratulations Doug.  Imagine my surprise when I'm watching the video coverage to see you.  I'm at home chanting Go Hothie! Go! and go you did.  Well played sir,  You had a great squad and you played it superbly well.  I'm glad you looked beyond the 8 Ties or the 5 Y's you were considering before.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#4 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Congrats on the finals. I really wish I had known about this, I would have tried to make the trip… It's been a while since I've done anything star wars minis competitively.

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I toyed around with a bunch of squads (sound familiar??? :P), but finally settled on a squad with a good commander effect (Hmmm…) I also added Swarm tactics for some good moving first 2-4 ship combos (sound eerily familiar???:P) Then I had to figure out how to keep everyone within range 1 of her (gosh this sounds just like…) So I devised my opening formation, and with asteroids on the field and setting up first, it works out pretty well. My 3rd game, against Adam, he had Howlrunner as well, but he didn't really use her much at all, which I was kind of surprised at.

And Moses was there, so it was great to see him and catch up from the Gencon days. We didn't end up playing each other (Lady H and he played a 4-person game during the semifinals for fun, though.) It's good to see some of the old minis crowd getting into this game. Eruletho, you should come up next year and play. The people were really great, and next year the squads will be so much more diverse.

Glad you enjoyed watching! :) I may have to sit down and watch the matches to see what you saw…

#6 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Interesting report, Doug.  Really enjoyed reading it.  Again, congatulations on the win.

I'm so glad you and Lady H jumped into this game with two feet.  I can say it's far better than SSB.  That's not saying a lot.   (Major props to FFG for putting out an outstanding product.).

Hope to see you guys here for Gen Con, 2013 -- at least, an upcoming Gen Con, anyway.

#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hey, Doug, I was able to catch both your matches on stream since I had to attend vicariously.  Did I hear you say you were from Des Moines? I'm in Ames and trying to find some other players.  Please hit me with a PM and perhaps we can talk.

BTW, congrats of the win, I was really impressed with the tight formation flying! I'd sure like to find a Rebel squad that would give you a little bit more of a problem…

#8 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

hothie said:

Yeah, I toyed around with a bunch of squads (sound familiar??? :P), but finally settled on a squad with a good commander effect (Hmmm…) I also added Swarm tactics for some good moving first 2-4 ship combos (sound eerily familiar???:P) Then I had to figure out how to keep everyone within range 1 of her (gosh this sounds just like…) So I devised my opening formation, and with asteroids on the field and setting up first, it works out pretty well. My 3rd game, against Adam, he had Howlrunner as well, but he didn't really use her much at all, which I was kind of surprised at.

And Moses was there, so it was great to see him and catch up from the Gencon days. We didn't end up playing each other (Lady H and he played a 4-person game during the semifinals for fun, though.) It's good to see some of the old minis crowd getting into this game. Eruletho, you should come up next year and play. The people were really great, and next year the squads will be so much more diverse.

Glad you enjoyed watching! :) I may have to sit down and watch the matches to see what you saw…

Many familiarities to be sure.  Great report, thanks for the write up.  If we've got the Godfather hooked then the sky is the limit.  

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#9 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

I like the way you think, Don. :-)  I totally agree.  It would be nice to get the (SWM) gang back together.

The last time I saw him, he was in a mad dash to grab copies of Android: Netrunner at Gen Con (Saturday).

#10 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Yeah,  my wife and I are in Ankeny. I'll shoot you a pm to figure out the when and wheres of meeting.

I actually devised a squad that one of our gaming buddies played against me before the tournament. He beat me, but he played marksmanship wrong and I didn't catch it. The squad was Wedge with R2D2 and marksmanship, Biggs with R2F2, and a Ywing with ion cannons. There were probably more points and upgrades, but that was the main gist of the squad. It came down to a damaged Wedge vs a damaged vader, and with R2 replenishing his shields he won. That was the squad i was afraid to face, but never did.

#11 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

So something like this?

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing
Upgrades:
Proton Torpedoes
R2-F2

Pilot: Wedge Antillies
X-Wing
Upgrades:
Marksmanship

Proton Torpedoes
R2-D2

Pilot: Gray Squadron Pilot
Y-Wing
Upgrades:
Ion Cannon Turret
R5-D8

Seems a little upgrade heavy to me.    Personally I think the Rebels 4 ship builds are stronger.  The Rebels regenerative upgrades are extremely useful in smaller formats, but under the heavy fire of a full 100 pt build, I find they just don't cut it.

#12 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

It was something like that. Essentially I had to focus on Biggs with R2F2 while Wedge practically killed something every turn. He brought the Ywing from the side and ion cannoned me to death. It worked, even with only 3 ships, although like I said, he thought Marksmanship was an all of the time thing rather than an action, so that helped him out.

And a big thank you to everyone for the kind wishes.

#13 LaughingTree

LaughingTree

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Congrats on the win!

I saw a little of the X Wing final at Worlds and it was part of what convinced me to buy the game to play with my son (we both love mini games and Star Wars is dear to my childhood). Hopefully I'll get to play it at GenCon and Worlds next year. 

#14 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I doubt that i'll make to worlds, but we plan on a family vacation to GenCon next year, so I will hopefully definitely be there

#15 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi Hothie and R5Don4.

I recognize you guys from the Star Wars Miniatures game forums. I was Stormtrooper on those boards and used to post batreps of my Stormtrooper swarm squads. Now I'm here posting TIE swarm batreps.

How do you find out about these tourniments. I'm up in Winnipeg, Canada, but I'd love to go to there big tourniments, especially a "Worlds" tourniment!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#16 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hello. Too bad the Jets have been grounded for the year. (Blackhawks man, myself.)

Fantasy Flight Games has a tournament every year. You have to check their site, but it's usually early November, and it was this past weekend. I guess the next upcoming tournament will be at your local gaming store, the Kessel Run Tournament, if your store signed up for and got approved to host one. The next major tournament will be at GenCon in Indianapolis in mid August. Although that will be much more expensive than FFG's Worlds tournament in November next year. Hope to see you there!

#17 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

This is my rendition

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing
Upgrades:
R2-F2

Pilot: Wedge Antillies
X-Wing
Upgrades:
Swarm Tactics

Proton Torpedoes

Pilot: "Dutch" Vander
Y-Wing
Upgrades:
Ion Cannon Turret

Proton Torpedoes 2x

I feel like this is less dependant on wedge and give a little more kick. What do you guys think? I am also thinking about moving one torp from Dutch to Biggs.

#18 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

atmsalad said:

I feel like this is less dependant on wedge and give a little more kick. What do you guys think? I am also thinking about moving one torp from Dutch to Biggs.

I say why not? If you have Biggs trailing in the back to force your opponents to attack him at range 3, he'll be perfectly lined up for a Proton Torpedo shot. Especially since "Dutch" can give him the target lock, allowing him to keep R2-F2 working hard. Good thinking. Looks like a fun squad.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#19 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

LaughingTree said:

Congrats on the win!

I saw a little of the X Wing final at Worlds and it was part of what convinced me to buy the game to play with my son (we both love mini games and Star Wars is dear to my childhood). Hopefully I'll get to play it at GenCon and Worlds next year. 

Welcome to the game! Glad you and your son can play together. Mine's a little too young yet, but his time will come…>:) Hope to see you at either Gencon or Worlds.

#20 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

You should move one torp from Dutch to Biggs, as you'll likely use Dutch's torp first combat round, then Ion Cannon after that. Looks scary. Glad I didn't face it! :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS