Wondering best expansinons/packs to get after core set

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

just got core set and looking to expand just a little so looking for best bang for my buck, what is people's most enjoyed adventures. I play solo so mainly best ones for that, i guess getting good cards to build deck be important too but most enjoyable adventures more for what im looking for. (unless can't make good solo deck with just core to play the other adventures) any feedback be great.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

im a solo player so here are my thoughts…ill go through them all quickly so you can make your own decision

hunt for gollum- very good quest. not too hard, not too easy. has the first song card which are important in deck building. very themeatic so if you like storylines this is one you'll come back to

conflict at the carrock- lot of fighting in this one. quite hard if you dont run tactics. nice and challenging… feels a bit of a 'build up' quest with an epic finale

journey to rhosgobel- again nice and thematic but hard. you need to build a deck specifically to win this and have good luck

emyn muil- a weak quest as it is mainly travelling to locations. too easy and if it werent for the amazing art its one that wouldnt see much play

dead marshes- a nice balanced quest with unique play. nice balance of fighting and questing and of course its an epic area of middle earth. nice replayability

return to mirkwood- bad solo quest. too hard ….not to dol guldurs standards but more of a 'rush quest' that offers not much replayability does have dain though which is a great dwarf hero

khazad dum - you need this pack to play any of the dwarrowdelf cycle (below). lots of dwaf cards so if you like them youre sorted. harder quests than mirkwood but fun.

rehorn gate- very nice quest with great art and play. also start of the noldor cards which are very powerful

road to rivendell- again nice quest but more frustratingly luck based (sleeping sentry!…youll know what i mean if you play it haha)

watcher in the water-more of a fighting quest with some unique encounter effects. i like this one and its nice to replay- again great area of middle earth

long dark- underground quests have tired me a little….and this one is too easy solo. harder in two handed

foundations of stone- like long dark but better. still the uniquness of getting split up is lost in solo play. still neat though

shadow and flame- all about the balrog. if you like enemy show downs then this is good, but i guess could get old quick

hobbit pack 1 - great quests, cards and content. hard though so id recommend getting this later on.

overall i always say go in order when people ask this question…but im a 'themey' so love the story. you dont have to of course and you wont miss much really.

the mirkwood packs are all about rohan and eagles. khazad dum and the hobbit about dwarves and dwarrowdelf about dwarves and noldor

i think the mirkwood packs are more fun but have weaker cards…however i wouldn't say skip them as many key cards that are required for the powerful combos are in the cycle

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

thanks (: that was alot of info that be thinking about, just got the core so no rush to get more just wanna be ready for when ready to get some more, however with being big into agot, and since was at worlds got star wars not sure how much willing to give out for each game (agot be highest and to early for star wars and lotr for me to decide 2nd yet)

#4 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm definitely with Rich on this one - go in order, and you'll get a better experience for playing stories etc. Probably a stupid question, and I don't mean to be insulting, but you know this isn't like the AGoT model, right? Adventure packs provide almost minimal player cards, with the bulk of the product being a new quest to play - so there is a case for getting as many adventure packs as possible, so as to maximise your player cards. While I wouldn't say picking and choosing the adventure packs will mean you'll miss any real synergies, there is something of a case to be made that you need all of the Dwarrowdelf packs for the player cards, whether you use the quests or not. And you'll need Khazad-dum to play any of the Dwarrowdelf quests. 

If you're after good quests to play, though, it does largely depend on what you like to play. I'm probably the only person here who will say Hills of Emyn Muil is in the top three of best quests, but if you want a more challenging version then go for The Redhorn Gate. For a good all-round quest, Into the Pit (the first quest from Khazad-dum) is a firm favourite of mine. Hunt for Gollum is also a good all-rounder, the Mirkwood quests are all kinda designed to cement the mechanics and show just what the game can do, it feels. Foundations of Stone is a tremendously good quest to play, even if one of its main novelties is, as Rich pointed out, completely lost in solo play. I can't say as I'd jump in with that one first from the core set though. 

From the core set, Hunt for Gollum is probably the most logical bet. The Dead Marshes is also of the same ilk (and you get Boromir as a hero). Then Khazad-dum, Redhorn Gate, and Foundations of Stone. If you aren't forever lost to this game after that, I'd be very surprised! 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#5 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

spalanzani said:

I'm definitely with Rich on this one - go in order, and you'll get a better experience for playing stories etc. Probably a stupid question, and I don't mean to be insulting, but you know this isn't like the AGoT model, right? Adventure packs provide almost minimal player cards, with the bulk of the product being a new quest to play - so there is a case for getting as many adventure packs as possible, so as to maximise your player cards. While I wouldn't say picking and choosing the adventure packs will mean you'll miss any real synergies, there is something of a case to be made that you need all of the Dwarrowdelf packs for the player cards, whether you use the quests or not. And you'll need Khazad-dum to play any of the Dwarrowdelf quests. 

If you're after good quests to play, though, it does largely depend on what you like to play. I'm probably the only person here who will say Hills of Emyn Muil is in the top three of best quests, but if you want a more challenging version then go for The Redhorn Gate. For a good all-round quest, Into the Pit (the first quest from Khazad-dum) is a firm favourite of mine. Hunt for Gollum is also a good all-rounder, the Mirkwood quests are all kinda designed to cement the mechanics and show just what the game can do, it feels. Foundations of Stone is a tremendously good quest to play, even if one of its main novelties is, as Rich pointed out, completely lost in solo play. I can't say as I'd jump in with that one first from the core set though. 

From the core set, Hunt for Gollum is probably the most logical bet. The Dead Marshes is also of the same ilk (and you get Boromir as a hero). Then Khazad-dum, Redhorn Gate, and Foundations of Stone. If you aren't forever lost to this game after that, I'd be very surprised! 

yea, looked at the card list on cardgamesdb so know not like agot, that is why wondered what the best adventures where since weren't going to buy packs based on the very few player cards. So far i love the game but it is very hard haha i can't even beat the second core set adventure, those hill trolls are beasts and then if put in more combat players once i beat the troll don't have enough questing to beat the rest of the adventure haha i love the challenge though and having to keep reevaluating my deck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS