• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mooch68

Mooch68

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hi all,

If the other player is the active player in marshalling, and I have 3 x Ice Fisherman, and I have 1 x Cragorn, as soon as my opponent collects gold can I trigger all responses on these cards to take up to 4 gold. Someone told me I could only trigger 1 of them.

Cheers,

Mooch

#2 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Mooch68 said:

Hi all,

If the other player is the active player in marshalling, and I have 3 x Ice Fisherman, and I have 1 x Cragorn, as soon as my opponent collects gold can I trigger all responses on these cards to take up to 4 gold. Someone told me I could only trigger 1 of them.

Cheers,

Mooch

Each of the cards have their own effect, but you trigger them one at a time. 

Start of Marshalling your opponent counts gold, then in step 5 of  the framework action window (see FAQ) you get a chance to respond by using either Cragorn's or one of your Ice Fishermen's ability. Once that has resolved the option to respond again passes between you and your opponent, and you would initiate the ability of the other fishemen one by one until both of you pass. At which point the framework action continues and your opponent starts marshalling her cards. On the basis that your opponent doesn't cancel any of these effects, you would end up with 4 gold, but it doesn't happen all at once.

I've probably used the wrong terminology but I'm sure others will chip in if I'm wrong.

tl;dr - you get 4 gold. 

#3 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Marshalling cards is as a player action and are the ice fisherman and cragorn. They are not responses.  The opponent can marshal a card between each ice fisherman triggering its effect.

I would give a better answer if it was easier to type this post on my phone.

In the end, the ice fisherman+cragorn doesn't normally steal all 4 gold before its used.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

thedaffodilfish said:

I've probably used the wrong terminology but I'm sure others will chip in if I'm wrong.
And because you (and the OP) use the wrong terminology, you have the outcome very wrong.

I'll give the "better answer" Bomb refers to:

As Bomb says, Ice Fisherman is a "Marshaling" action and Cragorn is an "Any Phase" action. The are not Responses. That makes their timing equivalent to the Active Player's opportunity to play a card. They are all "Player Actions."

So, after the active player counts income, the first player gets to take one actions. Then the next player, and so on clockwise around the table until everyone has passed in succession.

That means, if the first player is not the GJ-choke player, the sequence goes like this:

• FP: I count income. Then, for my first action, I do A.
  • GJ-Choke: I use Ice Fisherman #1 to steal 1 gold from you.
  • FP: Now I do B.
  • GJ-Choke: I use Ice Fisherman #2 to steal 1 gold from you.
  • FP: Now I do C
  • GJ-Choke: I use Ice Fisherman #3 to steal 1 gold from you.
  • FP: Now I do D
  • GJ-Choke: I use Cragorn to steal 1 gold from you.

You can see why all 4 are unlikely to get gold. Now, if the GJ-Choke player is the first player, it looks like this:

• Active Player: I count income
  • GJ-Choke: I use Ice Fisherman #1 to steal 1 gold from you.
  • AP: I do A.
  • GJ-Choke: I use Ice Fisherman #2 to steal 1 gold from you.
  • AP: Now I do B.
  • etc….

When the GJ-Choke player is the first player, they get the first action and will therefore get a crack at the active player's gold pool before the active player can spend anything, but it still alternates overall - making it unlikely you will actually get a total of 4 gold from your opponent.

#5 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Everyday is a school day.

Thanks for the (correct!) responses and my apologies to the OP for the dogs breakfast I posted ;)

I have a much better understanding now.

#6 Mooch68

Mooch68

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

OK, I need a clarification on the something.

In the FAQ it states:

After the first action has been fully resolved, the opportunity to take another action goes to the player to the left, and so on (continuing in clockwise order).  After all players have consecutively passed on taking additional actions, then this player action segment is over, and the game proceeds to its next framework action or to the next phase.

Now to me that seems to mean that I could continue to trigger actions until we both passed.  What rule am I missing here?

Mooch

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Mooch68 said:

Now to me that seems to mean that I could continue to trigger actions until we both passed.  What rule am I missing here?
You can continue to trigger actions until you have both passed, but after each action you take, he gets the chance to take an action - which includes playing a card from his hand using the gold in the gold pool that you are trying to steal.

All that stuff about the opportunity to take an action passing clockwise? It means you don't get to trigger all 3 of your Fishermen one after the other. He always gets the chance to do something in between, which is likely to involve using the gold in his gold pool. Now, it could go: "Fisherman." "Pass." "Fisherman." "Pass." "Fisherman." "Pass." "Cragorn." "Pass." "Pass." resulting in you getting 4 gold from him before he ever gets a change to use it. But it's far more likely to go: "I count 8 and I'm First Player. I pay 4 for Stannis." (Down to 4.) "Fisherman." (Down to 3.) "I pay 3 for Brienne." (Down to 0.) "Fisherm… Well, crap."

#8 Mooch68

Mooch68

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Cool, thanks for the response.  Cleared that up.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS