Areo Hotah

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ambassador

Ambassador

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

I have been playing TGOT Board game for some time now. I understand how to use house cards effectively. That being said I do not understand why the Areo Hotah house card has 3 strength and a fortification. There is no reason a player should be wasting a 3 power house card on a defensive action. 

#2 Moebius

Moebius

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Its not wasting it if it lets you win the battle… the point is its less likely to lose with a ST 3 card so the tower will see less use thats a different story

#3 Prince Capsicum

Prince Capsicum

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I agree about the pointlessness of the fortification icon completely. Given Areo's position in the books it seems appropriate that he have defensive capabilities. Perhaps another two fortification icons would have sufficed so he could be the anti-Gregor!  

#4 Moebius

Moebius

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Well the DWD version has 2 fortifications instead of one… they kinda heard you ;-)

#5 Prince Capsicum

Prince Capsicum

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Would you happen to know any more about the ADWD expansion? 

#6 Moebius

Moebius

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Well its available already and only 15€

I have it, and its okay… not great imho, just okay.

There is a clear power creep effect in the cards that make the cards more important than the tactics and strategy in some situations(IE setting your final strenght or your opponent final strenghth), I dont like that.

There are some cool characters though, so I am playing the base game with 1 character or 2 per house from the new expansion.

Also it can be played without major spoilers to the books.

#7 Prince Capsicum

Prince Capsicum

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Is there a link you can give me that tells me all about the new rules and cards?

#8 Moebius

Moebius

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

No sorry. I have the cards in spanish and did not find them online either.

#9 Ambassador

Ambassador

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

A fortification does not help the player win combat, it blocks sword icons. House cards with a higher combat strength are more likely to win combat. It makes no sense strategically to have a winning card with an ability geared towards losing combat. When a player knows he will lose the combat he uses a card with a defensive ability. Likewise with winning combat a player would prefer an offensive ability. So giving him two fortifications does not make this better. Also concerning his card being accurate to his character in the book we need only consider the Mace Tyrell house card.

#10 blesak

blesak

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

thanks for all the information guys

forum indonesia

indonesia community

iklan gratis

iklan baris

#11 Haergrim

Haergrim

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

More or less agreed on the impracticality of Hotah. 

But as to Mace Tyrell I've always considered his combat strength and ability as being a way of representing the huge number of troups the Tyrells were supposedly able to muster

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS