Photo

Is it me or is Fantasy Flight stealing the mech designs from fans and making them their own?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Its not the first time they have done it. I though that it was like the recon mickey…just awesome conversions that get made in to real game pieces but now the axis carrier (truck+heavy axis walker legs) and the new allies (heavy walker with open back and mounted cannon)…ive seen people here on the forums showing their conversions. My question is…do they get recognition or is dust just stealing the idea?

#2 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

I feel like a lot of what your seeing is just coincidence.

#3 SeismicShock

SeismicShock

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I would consider it kind of flattering? Also, this stuff likely has a fairly long tail dev cycle, so when the conversions come out, it probably just confirms something that they've already got in the pipeline

Any links to show us these prescient conversions?

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

These all seem like very logical progressions that they'd make. Not really stealing ideas from others…

#5 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

LedZep said:

Its not the first time they have done it. I though that it was like the recon mickey…just awesome conversions that get made in to real game pieces but now the axis carrier (truck+heavy axis walker legs) and the new allies (heavy walker with open back and mounted cannon)…ive seen people here on the forums showing their conversions. My question is…do they get recognition or is dust just stealing the idea?

Yes i totally agree. These are items I made a while back and now some seem to be appearing. I do though agree some are a natural choice like the mortars and gun crews. Im not so sure about the axis half track walker though. I made this when the first heavies came out and now there are two on the horizon. Its a conspiracy !!!!!!!!

#6 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=196&efcid=1&efidt=664649

Here you can see the new allied tank and something that clearly inspired the Wotan axix laser medim mech. I dont know… 

#7 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

The Ryu was the first "Wotan", that was a known model for a long time and well before the conversion contest.  Anyone can put a large cannon on a heavy walker, it's sort of made for it, I think that was just a natural design for that walker style.  I even posted a few pics of my allied heavy command vehicle on the Facebook group that didn't get finished in time for the conversion contest.  Should I cry foul that there is now an allied command heavy coming out?

#8 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I guess you guys schould be more proud of it that your ideas were implemented into game:D

#9 LotusPwn3r

LotusPwn3r

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Jeez! Am I the only one who remembers the Walker Conversion Contest like five months ago?

And the winner gets a mini made from their creation?

C'mon, guys …

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_editar.asp/efid=248&efcid=1&efidt=744466&efidm=744968

#10 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Lska said:

I guess you guys schould be more proud of it that your ideas were implemented into game:D

I would rather get paid than be proud !!!

#11 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

I don't think that would be possible, especially that the main principles are pretty obvius on those walkers 

#12 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Lska said:

I don't think that would be possible, especially that the main principles are pretty obvius on those walkers 

One can dream cant they ???

#13 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Yea I posted the conversion contest. I think that is cool but you may be proud that you made something so cool that its implemented on the game but then again its your idea that a company used to make money.

#14 SeismicShock

SeismicShock

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Open topped armored vehicles were used by the US (at least) during WWII, specifically artillery and anti air weapons… not sure strapping legs to them instead of tracks is revolutionary

#15 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

SeismicShock said:

Open topped armored vehicles were used by the US (at least) during WWII, specifically artillery and anti air weapons… not sure strapping legs to them instead of tracks is revolutionary

SeismicShock said:

Thanks for the positive feedback.

#16 SeismicShock

SeismicShock

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

mgentile7 said:

SeismicShock said:

SeismicShock said:

I'm simply suggesting that perhaps this is a case of parallel evolution rather than malicious theft.

#17 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

On the other hand if i was a company like FFG i would start such a constest, made it clear in the rules that you don't have rights for your concept and then remade it and sell to ppl:D EVIL I SAY!

#18 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

SeismicShock said:

mgentile7 said:

SeismicShock said:

SeismicShock said:

I'm simply suggesting that perhaps this is a case of parallel evolution rather than malicious theft.

Thanks for clarifying.

#19 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yes and I posted pictures of my French Foreign Legion Armor 3 Infantry several months back! CRY MURDER! LOL.

I seriously doubt they are stealing your ideas. As someone mentioned earlier, open topped vehicels really existed, its just an extension of that thought. It is more them looking at the molds they have and saying "how can we sell this again?" "Oh I know, less plastic and have it open topped!" Its like the SSU tanks, exact same body, two different turrets, four guns. And the SSU players (me included) are buying 4 of these! Its a good business strategy, lets them expand the game, we feel we are getting new units added to the game and they only need to make a few new molds here and there.

BBQ Squad, Hell Boy Squad? Extra flamer thrower? Exact same molds.

#20 maquinista

maquinista

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I would be very flattered if a company that make the miniatures I like and buy would make something similar-influenced-copied by something I eventually done.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS