The Falcon!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

So making it to the semifinal round had a sweeeeeet prize!!!!

the Falcon is massive!  I don't think I'd use it in tournament play but for fun, you bet!   

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Wait, you already had the Kessel Run tournament?

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

congrats man. Im sure I know a couple die hard fans who would offer you some cash for that lol. Imagine going to a Kessal Tournament and using that bad boy and getting some upset folks (or plop some of the upgrades on current ships)

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#4 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

I can't use it in that event.  They aren't legal till the new wave is released.  

I am looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

I'll post a battle report of it in a few days.

#5 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

OH!  Good God I am rude.  Thanks for the congrats.  

#6 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

No I made the semis at World.

Great event they put on.

#7 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

you lucky so and so..…concrats

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#8 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

Picasso said:

No I made the semis at World.

Great event they put on.

Congratulations on the win.  

Can you tell us a little more about that tournament?  How many rounds did you play?  What was your score?  In your opinion were matches set up such that it would be Rebel vs Imperial in the finals?  Thanks.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#9 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

better yet, what list did you run?

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#10 Traveller724

Traveller724

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I was at the World Championship event.  It was fun.  They ran a great event.  Well organized.  When I arrived they had my name tag, a t-shirt, and a copy of the Star Wars Card game (for pre-registering).

I was not in the finals or anything, but I still had a good time. The people were fun and I think most people were having a good time.  In the premininary rounds, we played 3 Swiss style rounds.

I had a rebel force of the following:  Garvin Dreis (26), Biggs (R2-F2, 28 pts), Red Squadron Pilot (23), Y-Wing Gold Sqdn with Ion Cannon (23 Pts).

Game 1:  Fought 3 y_wings with Ion Cannons, all gold sqdn.  One was equipped with Proton Torps.  and 1 X-Wing Rookie Pilot with Proton Torps. 

The bottom line was that my force spent a lot of time at speed 1 moving in a straight line without getting to fire.  I shot down an enemy Y-wingthat had Proton Torps while she shot down my Y-wing and Biggs by the time the time limit ran out, so it was a loss for me.  

My conclusion from this one battle is that lots of Y-wings are tough to deal with if you are a rebel player because the ion cannons can keep most of your ships tied up.

GAME 2: I fought 1 TIE Adv and 4 TIES.  Darth Vade w/ Marksman, Cluster Missile.  TIEs: Mauler Mithel, Backstabber, Darkcurse, and Night beast.  At the opening pass, Biggs was killed by Darth and Mauler.  Fortunately, all my ships were able to fire at Darth and we took him out,.  After that it was a staright dogfight.  I lost my Y-wing but took out the other TIEs for a Victory.

GAME 3:  I fought another rebel force consisting of Biggs/R2D2, and and 3 Rookie X-Wings with various droids.  I lost 3 fighters but took out all his fighters for a modified victory (3 tournament points)

Overall it was fun.  If I had a suggestion it would be that when I play I want to to play rebels vs Imperials.  Rebels vs rebels and Empire vs Empire is not nearly as desirable, but that is just ust my personal preference. I'm not sure how many would agree.  I assume most people play rebels vs imperials in their at home games.  I would be willing to have both and Imperial force and a Rebel force ready at a tournament.  If players had to use both, the tournament winner would presumably be a good all around player, not just good at one faction or the other.  

There would be some disadvantages to this because some players might only want to play one faction, or it would possibly cost players a little more to own extra fighters.  

The other option would be to pair up opposing factions to the maximum extent possible and accept some fratricide games.  You could possibly be allowed to have some players who accept a willingness to switch between Rebels and Imperials.  Again, not sure how popular that would be, but it wouldn't bother me.

Anyway, thank you FFG for a great event.  I'm looking forward to the Kessel Run event next at my local game store.

#11 Traveller724

Traveller724

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Oh, a couple more points.

This was my first Swiss style game.  I'm not sure how the "Strength of Schedule" point modifications work, but I'd be curious to find out.  I don't know what kind of force the winner ran.  Basically, If you win a game by at least 33 points, you get 5 Tournament points.  If you win by less than 33 points, you get 3 tournament points.  A Tie is worth 1 point and a loss is not worth anything.

Four people made it into the finals and they player elimination rounds to determine the winner.

#12 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

My list was as follows,
Vader with a concussion missile and swarm tactics
Five obsidian pilots

The Tournament ran well. We played three games in the preliminary rounds. You always played someone with the same win loss record as you had. There were about 32 players so after three rounds there were four people left who had three wins.
I did notice that there was a lot of same faction vs same faction throughout the event. I did ask about it and was told it just worked out that way.
The semifinal was two rebel players against each other and two Empire players against each other. In all but one of my rounds I played against Empire.
This is extremely difficult. Not enough red dice being rolled. Most rounds you are lucky to get one hit. This is making me consider running Rebels for the Kessel Run events.

The biggest difference between Doug’s list and my list was Howler Runner. He kept all of his ships at range of her to get the reroll. Not having the ability to reroll dice in the shooting phase was killer to my list. I think I rolled all blanks five times.
I’m not trying to take anything away from his list he won fair and square but I think if I would have not played my roommate in the round before and she went on to the finals she had the best list there. She played Traveller724 in the first round. He has her list right except it was a Red Squadron Pilot not a rookie.

Having the Falcon and knowing what card upgrades are coming leaving your ships clustered together is a terrible idea. The Assault Missile damages all defending ships with in range one of the ship hit by the attack. I used it tonight against six Tie Fighters. Does a lot of damage fast.

I’m willing to answer questions about my list or what my thoughts are for the Kessel Run.

Ryan

#13 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I agree about the Empire on Empire and Rebel on Rebel.  You should have to bring two lists to GenCon and Worlds.  Coin flip to decide who plays what.  You should have mastered all aspects of the game to be called Champ.  

Not taking anything away from the winner of World's just saying in the future I think you should have to bring two lists.

Ryan

#14 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm kind of starting to agree that you should have to have a list from each side to play at tourney. Not sure what the best way to implement that would be, though. It would be nice to have something like Netrunner, where you have to play both sides in a match, but the time constraints would make this pretty impractical, especially as the game grows. I'm not sure a coin toss to determine faction would be best either. If there were some way to insure that each player HAD to play both sides, and then determine who the best player from each side was to go to the final match, that would be interesting. As it is, I know the swiss style pairings & cut to final are the easiest way to go, but for this game mirror matches are just thematically WRONG. And, I believe, for most casual or home players it will most likely be opposite factions.

It is interesting to note that according to what I saw in the chat pod there was about an even split between factions - 24 total, 13 Imperial to 11 Rebel. Yet according to one account, many of the matches in the swiss rounds were mirrors.  If a more concerted effort was made to ensure that most matches were Rebel vs. Imp, perhaps that would help. Rather than a strict swiss, perhaps another pairing model could be considered. Although, TBH, I'm not sure what that might be…

#15 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

ziggy2000 said:

It is interesting to note that according to what I saw in the chat pod there was about an even split between factions - 24 total, 13 Imperial to 11 Rebel. Yet according to one account, many of the matches in the swiss rounds were mirrors.  If a more concerted effort was made to ensure that most matches were Rebel vs. Imp, perhaps that would help. Rather than a strict swiss, perhaps another pairing model could be considered. Although, TBH, I'm not sure what that might be…

will all the rebel players please stand on my left, and all the imperial players on my right? now number off, and 1 will fight with 1, 2 will fight with 2, and so on, until we reach the last few players, and you guys just fight among yourselves.

#16 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

I do think that  two lists is the way to go. I think that a good player should be able to win against his own faction.  I lost to my faction cause it is set up to play against swarm rebel lists. Not another list of six imperials. The only complaint I have about the tournament was my pairings, I played against all Empire lists until I had to play against my roommate. I think that rebels have a better chance of playing against their own faction.  X-wings are the most balanced ship in the game. For this reason I think you will start to see more rebel lists in events. As an Empire player they are the most tactical list to play. You need to know what you are doing to win. However I don't want to play against a similar list where it comes down to dice rolls. I think Doug and I unofficially agreed early that our game would come down to dice rolls where he had a distinct advantage and my eight siders were not kind to me at all for the first time that day

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining against the event it was one of the best events I've attended. 

So my question is for the Kessel run what lists do you think you will see at the event?

ryan

#17 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

Also with the upgrade cards that come with the falcon the game will be changed. TIEs with shields, 11 Pilot skills, Assault Missiles.  Curses fantasy flight you are going to get me to by three falcons!!!!!

so I used the Falcon last night for the first time. I took it against five academy pilots and wing gundark. 75pts. I had seventy in the Falcon. Yes I used Han, Luke, Chewi, an assault missile, elusiveness (great card), the title card for the falcon, and a shield upgrade.  Wow this was a hard fight!  Erin came at me with the six ties set up in a "V" shape.  Han with a pilot skill of 9 moved last and the empire ships flew towards the falcon center ships five forward and ships on the edge three easy turn. They all took a focus.  I flew Han straight three and took a targeting lock on the academy pilot that flew five towards me.  In the combat phase I opened by shooting my Assault Missile.  I managed two hits on the academy pilot so then all TIEs within range on of him took 1 damage.  There were three TIEs with in this range so they all took damage.  Four ties shot back and I lost three shields. After that Erin kept putting TIEs in the way of the Falcon so that it was always overlapping and not taking actions. This would lead to my down fall as the Falcon only has one evade and the title card for the falcon allows for it to take and evade token as an action.  Han and Luke allow for rerolls and bonuses in the combat phase so there is no point in taking a focus action.  Elusiveness allows you to take a stress token to avoid a hit. Awesome card. I was able to drop one TIE a round but eventually with out being able to take actions and not avoid damage I was overwhelmed. 

Pros:  1.) The falcon is fun to play. You are always shooting. 

Cons: 2.) the big base is hard to maneuver and easy for the empire to take advantage of.

Ryan

#18 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Picasso said:

Also with the upgrade cards that come with the falcon the game will be changed. TIEs with shields, 11 Pilot skills, Assault Missiles.  Curses fantasy flight you are going to get me to by three falcons!!!!!

so I used the Falcon last night for the first time. I took it against five academy pilots and wing gundark. 75pts. I had seventy in the Falcon. Yes I used Han, Luke, Chewi, an assault missile, elusiveness (great card), the title card for the falcon, and a shield upgrade.  Wow this was a hard fight!  Erin came at me with the six ties set up in a "V" shape.  Han with a pilot skill of 9 moved last and the empire ships flew towards the falcon center ships five forward and ships on the edge three easy turn. They all took a focus.  I flew Han straight three and took a targeting lock on the academy pilot that flew five towards me.  In the combat phase I opened by shooting my Assault Missile.  I managed two hits on the academy pilot so then all TIEs within range on of him took 1 damage.  There were three TIEs with in this range so they all took damage.  Four ties shot back and I lost three shields. After that Erin kept putting TIEs in the way of the Falcon so that it was always overlapping and not taking actions. This would lead to my down fall as the Falcon only has one evade and the title card for the falcon allows for it to take and evade token as an action.  Han and Luke allow for rerolls and bonuses in the combat phase so there is no point in taking a focus action.  Elusiveness allows you to take a stress token to avoid a hit. Awesome card. I was able to drop one TIE a round but eventually with out being able to take actions and not avoid damage I was overwhelmed. 

Cons: 2.) the big base is hard to maneuver and easy for the empire to take advantage of.

Ryan

Awesome batrep!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#19 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Picasso said:

Ryan

Thanks for the preview.  March seems so far away.  Let me know if you get bored with that and want to unload it. ;)

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#20 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

I think I'm going to keep mine. The Kessel run is coming up and I plan on rounding out my set.  I do enjoy using the model too much.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS