The search for a Perfect Deck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrd

jrd

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

OK, so first of all - what do I mean by a perfect deck? I shall define it as follows:

- Interesting and enjoyable to play
- Successful against a wide variety of quests
- Refined until I do not feel I can improve it further (though I may change a card or two from time to time, for example as new cards become available)

Although I have tried many deck designs, the style I return to most often is Spirit/Lore, based on slowly building up resources (characters, attachments and cards) to gain control of the game environment.

So here is the deck:

• Beravor Core Set 12
• Frodo Baggins Conflict at the Carrock 25
• Glorfindel Foundations of Stone 101

Allies (22):
2x • Henamarth Riversong (Core Set 60)
3x Zigil Miner (Khazad-dûm 9)
1x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set 61)
2x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark 83)
1x • Arwen Undómiel (The Watcher in the Water 58)
3x Imladris Stargazer (Foundations of Stone 106)
1x • Gléowine (Core Set 62)
1x West Road Traveller (Return to Mirkwood 121)
2x Mirkwood Runner (Return to Mirkwood 123)
1x • Dori (The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 9)
1x Northern Tracker (Core Set 45)
1x • Haldir of Lórien (A Journey to Rhosgobel 57)
1x • Elfhelm (The Dead Marshes 100)
2x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)

Attachments (15):
2x Fast Hitch (The Dead Marshes 103)
3x • Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone 107)
1x Song of Wisdom (Conflict at the Carrock 34)
1x • Thror's Map (The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 13)
1x Protector of Lórien (Core Set 70)
3x Unexpected Courage (Core Set 57)
2x • Asfaloth (Foundations of Stone 110)
2x A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock 33)

Events (14):
3x Daeron's Runes (Foundations of Stone 108)
3x Elrond's Counsel (The Watcher in the Water 59)
1x Hasty Stroke (Core Set 48)
1x Will of the West (Core Set 49)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set 50)
3x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set 53)

Total 51 cards

To test the deck, I have played this deck against all the quests I own: the 3 core set quests, Hunt for Gollum, Hills of Emyn Muil, The 3 Khazad Dum quests, The Redhorn Gate, Road to Rivendell, The Long Dark, Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame and Massing at Osgiliath. The current score is 14 games played, 14 wins and no heroes lost - a very respectable score.

Strategy

At the start of the game, with a starting threat of only 22, I usually have a few turns before you need to fight much. I typically quest with Frodo and Glorfindel for 5 on turn 1, and use Beravor to draw cards whenever possible. I try to get as many of the following into play, as quickly as possible:

Light of Valinor on Glorfindel
Unexpected Courage on Berevor
Imladris Stargazer
Zigil Miner
Henamarth Riversong
Thror's Map or Asfaloth

I will usually make very slow progress while on stage 1 of a quest. My priority is to build up a useful selection of allies, attachments and cards in hand while not losing the game - given long enough, this deck usually wins.

Generally, I draw 2 cards a turn from Beravor. Once I get a Stargazer and a Zigil Miner in play, I will be discarding 2 cards per turn for 1 or 2 extra resources. Since I am going through at least 5 cards per turn (more with Daeron's Runes or if I get a second Miner into play), the deck runs out pretty quickly, at which point I play Will of the West to reshuffle the deck.

Card by card analysis:

• Beravor Core Set 12
The most useful hero. Good at questing, attacking, defending and with an excellent ability. I wll use the card drawing ability every turn unless I have to use Beravor to quest or fight. I try never to use Beravor to defend if there's a chance she could be killed by a shadow card effect. Beravor is even better with 1 or 2 Unexpected Courage.

Frodo's ability to convert damage to threat is extremely useful and allows me to take undefended atacks if necessary, without risking losing a hero. Frodo normally quests unless I need him to defend.

Glorfindel is the deck's main attacker, and he also quests if necessary (or whenever he has Light of Valinor). I never defend with Glorfindel, but often put damage on him in preference to other characters (such as from treachery effects or from low strength undefended attacks).

Extremely useful to know what the next encounter card is; also occasionally used to see if the next card has a shadow effect, which may affect whether I optionally engage an enemy.

If I don't know what's on top of my deck, I'll guess 2 (or maybe 1, if a lot of 2-cost cards have already gone). Usually I will have an Imladris Stargazer in play before I play a Zigil Mner, which menas I know what number to call. I will discard pretty much anything, unless I need the cards urgently, as the cards will come round again.

Usually kept in hand to remove unpleasant conditions; often used as a sacrificial defender (so I can get him killed and recycled again). In quests with no unpleaseant conditions, this card is often not played.

Only usually played if I have several wounded characters. Sometimes used as questers or emergency defenders.

Plas as soon as possible. Works extremely well with Zigil Miner.

An extra card per turn is always useful. In an emergency, can quest or defend.

Usually played if I am struggling to quest successfully, or to swap locations if I don't have Thror's Map.

These 6 allies are mainly used as attackers. Their additional abilities are sometimes useful, depending on the quest (for example, Mirkwood Runners are excellent against Khazad-Dum's Orcs and Uruks). I typically play about 2 of these characters during a game.

Mainly only played in emergencies, or to help defeat large opponents (such as trolls) or to kill oponents that cannot be engaged.

Play ASAP on Frodo, allowing him to quest and defend (or sometimes defend more than once).

Play ASAP on Glorfindel, who then quests every turn (unless I am trying not to quest too much).

Play on Frodo. Allows Burning Brand to be played on Frodo and helps balance resources between spheres.

Excellent card, allows me to move a newly-relealed location card to be the active location before resolving questing!

Play on Frodo or Beravor, depending on whether I expect to need more willpower or defence.

Play two on Beravor ASAP.

An excellent card for location control. Top priority in location-heavy quests.

Play on Beravor, unless I have a Song of Wisdom so I can play it on Frodo. In combat-heavy quests, I play Burning Brand on Frodo and Beravor.

Events (14):
Often played after using Imladris Stargazer and finding a card I need urgently. A good way to discard duplicate unique cards (such as Light of Valinor).

Usually played after I quest unsuccessfully, or when I need 1 more quest point to clear a location, or to keep an enamy from engaging me. Often returned from the discard pile with Dwarven Tomb.

I usually rely on Burning Brand to protect against shadow cards, so only 1 of these.

Essential for some quests. Try to always have 1 in hand.

Essential, as the deck will run out of cards. Recycle with Dwarven Tomb.

A key card in the deck. If you discard the Will of the West, you will need a Dwarven Tomb to bring it back. Otherwise, use to bring back whatever Spirit cards you need.

#2 Maggical

Maggical

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Maybe this deck I built helps: http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=736831

#3 Koz

Koz

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

jrd said:

OK, so first of all - what do I mean by a perfect deck? I shall define it as follows:

- Interesting and enjoyable to play
- Successful against a wide variety of quests
- Refined until I do not feel I can improve it further (though I may change a card or two from time to time, for example as new cards become available)

Although I have tried many deck designs, the style I return to most often is Spirit/Lore, based on slowly building up resources (characters, attachments and cards) to gain control of the game environment.

So here is the deck:

• Beravor Core Set 12

Allies (22):

Attachments (15):

Events (14):

Total 51 cards

To test the deck, I have played this deck against all the quests I own: the 3 core set quests, Hunt for Gollum, Hills of Emyn Muil, The 3 Khazad Dum quests, The Redhorn Gate, Road to Rivendell, The Long Dark, Foundations of Stone, Shadow and Flame and Massing at Osgiliath. The current score is 14 games played, 14 wins and no heroes lost - a very respectable score.

Strategy

At the start of the game, with a starting threat of only 22, I usually have a few turns before you need to fight much. I typically quest with Frodo and Glorfindel for 5 on turn 1, and use Beravor to draw cards whenever possible. I try to get as many of the following into play, as quickly as possible:

Light of Valinor on Glorfindel
Unexpected Courage on Berevor
Imladris Stargazer
Zigil Miner
Henamarth Riversong
Thror's Map or Asfaloth

I will usually make very slow progress while on stage 1 of a quest. My priority is to build up a useful selection of allies, attachments and cards in hand while not losing the game - given long enough, this deck usually wins.

Generally, I draw 2 cards a turn from Beravor. Once I get a Stargazer and a Zigil Miner in play, I will be discarding 2 cards per turn for 1 or 2 extra resources. Since I am going through at least 5 cards per turn (more with Daeron's Runes or if I get a second Miner into play), the deck runs out pretty quickly, at which point I play Will of the West to reshuffle the deck.

Card by card analysis:

• Beravor Core Set 12
The most useful hero. Good at questing, attacking, defending and with an excellent ability. I wll use the card drawing ability every turn unless I have to use Beravor to quest or fight. I try never to use Beravor to defend if there's a chance she could be killed by a shadow card effect. Beravor is even better with 1 or 2 Unexpected Courage.

Frodo's ability to convert damage to threat is extremely useful and allows me to take undefended atacks if necessary, without risking losing a hero. Frodo normally quests unless I need him to defend.

Glorfindel is the deck's main attacker, and he also quests if necessary (or whenever he has Light of Valinor). I never defend with Glorfindel, but often put damage on him in preference to other characters (such as from treachery effects or from low strength undefended attacks).

Extremely useful to know what the next encounter card is; also occasionally used to see if the next card has a shadow effect, which may affect whether I optionally engage an enemy.

If I don't know what's on top of my deck, I'll guess 2 (or maybe 1, if a lot of 2-cost cards have already gone). Usually I will have an Imladris Stargazer in play before I play a Zigil Mner, which menas I know what number to call. I will discard pretty much anything, unless I need the cards urgently, as the cards will come round again.

Usually kept in hand to remove unpleasant conditions; often used as a sacrificial defender (so I can get him killed and recycled again). In quests with no unpleaseant conditions, this card is often not played.

Only usually played if I have several wounded characters. Sometimes used as questers or emergency defenders.

Plas as soon as possible. Works extremely well with Zigil Miner.

An extra card per turn is always useful. In an emergency, can quest or defend.

Usually played if I am struggling to quest successfully, or to swap locations if I don't have Thror's Map.

These 6 allies are mainly used as attackers. Their additional abilities are sometimes useful, depending on the quest (for example, Mirkwood Runners are excellent against Khazad-Dum's Orcs and Uruks). I typically play about 2 of these characters during a game.

Mainly only played in emergencies, or to help defeat large opponents (such as trolls) or to kill oponents that cannot be engaged.

Play ASAP on Frodo, allowing him to quest and defend (or sometimes defend more than once).

Play ASAP on Glorfindel, who then quests every turn (unless I am trying not to quest too much).

Play on Frodo. Allows Burning Brand to be played on Frodo and helps balance resources between spheres.

Excellent card, allows me to move a newly-relealed location card to be the active location before resolving questing!

Play on Frodo or Beravor, depending on whether I expect to need more willpower or defence.

Play two on Beravor ASAP.

An excellent card for location control. Top priority in location-heavy quests.

Play on Beravor, unless I have a Song of Wisdom so I can play it on Frodo. In combat-heavy quests, I play Burning Brand on Frodo and Beravor.

Events (14):
Often played after using Imladris Stargazer and finding a card I need urgently. A good way to discard duplicate unique cards (such as Light of Valinor).

Usually played after I quest unsuccessfully, or when I need 1 more quest point to clear a location, or to keep an enamy from engaging me. Often returned from the discard pile with Dwarven Tomb.

I usually rely on Burning Brand to protect against shadow cards, so only 1 of these.

Essential for some quests. Try to always have 1 in hand.

Essential, as the deck will run out of cards. Recycle with Dwarven Tomb.

A key card in the deck. If you discard the Will of the West, you will need a Dwarven Tomb to bring it back. Otherwise, use to bring back whatever Spirit cards you need.

You realize that all of your key cards have been erratta'd right?  Beravor and Zigil Miner were both nerfed making this deck not so great.  Check the FAQ

#4 AjiTae

AjiTae

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Indeed… check the errata.

A method that's still legal and can produce loads of resources in one turn is We Are Not Idle + Lure Of Moria on a dwarf deck. You can get as many as 10 or 15 resources (and a card) which, combined with a Narvi's Belt, offer endless possibilities.

#5 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

AjiTae said:

A method that's still legal and can produce loads of resources in one turn is We Are Not Idle + Lure Of Moria on a dwarf deck. You can get as many as 10 or 15 resources (and a card) which, combined with a Narvi's Belt, offer endless possibilities.

I don't see in his post anything that says he doesn't play accordingly to the faq.

He only says that he draws cards with Beravor once… And he gets 2 resources max with Zigil

Even if he puts 2 UC's on Beravor, it  doesn't mean he uses her ability more than once per round

Carlos José Matos

#6 AjiTae

AjiTae

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

CJMatos said:

AjiTae said:

I don't see in his post anything that says he doesn't play accordingly to the faq.

He only says that he draws cards with Beravor once… And he gets 2 resources max with Zigil

Even if he puts 2 UC's on Beravor, it  doesn't mean he uses her ability more than once per round

Alright my bad but then I don't understand what Ziggy is doing here. We're talking "perfect deck" and after erratum this card is not really the "perfect" choice. Beravor is still a good hero.

#7 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

In my opinion, Zigil is there to increase resource creation, because if you take a closer look at the deck it has no resource boosting cards except for Zigil.

So with all the drawing that this deck possess, only three resources a round is short…

And as it is an Lore/Spirit deck, it doesn't have access to Steward of Gondor or We are not Idle (also for the lack of dwarves)…

So Zigil, even errated, is useful in this deck

Carlos José Matos

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS