Alliance vs. Empire

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

For a thousand generations, the light and dark sides of the Force have been pitted against each other. And for nearly seventeen years, this conflict has been reflected time and again in various games, and soon players will once again do battle for the fate of the galaxy.

The time has come to pick a side. Oh yes, the tournament rules will inevitably require players to bring two decks: one Light and one Dark, and many will undoubtedly use this to justify their neutrality. But we are at war, friends, and wars are not won with divided loyalties. So I ask you…

Which side do you choose?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Forever Rebels!

Evil must be fought, and justice prevail, lest the galaxy tip irrevocably toward darkness. It may look good stalking the corridors of power with your black cape swishing along and polishing the mouse droids behind you, but the people won't stay crushed underfoot for long. 

Join the Rebellion and Fight the Empire!

All art is quite useless

#3 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

I definitely like that we'll need to play both sides. But right now, with my limited information on the game and the card pool, I'm leaning toward The Imperial Navy.

First off, I just like playing the Empire more. Back when the game was first announced, it wasn't the co-op gameplay that gave me pause, it was that you were forced to play the Light Side. Secondly, sometimes I just get a bit sick of playing Jedi and Sith all the time. I get it, they're samurai space wizards, they're cool, but I quite like the non-magic forces of the Star Wars universe.

But that's just based on personal biases. As I said, what I want to play now and what I actually end up enjoying playing most will likely be very different. When I first started playing AGOT, I figured I'd be a Lannister player, as they're my favorite house. I discovered they're play-style didn't really work for me, and now I largely play Greyjoy and Baratheon. Perhaps The Imperial Navy won't quite fit for me, and I'll end up favoring one of the other five factions instead.

#4 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Dark side, definitely. :-)

Imperial navy, sith and scum and villainy? Yes please! :-D

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Imperial Navy is who I am leaning towards for Dark Side and probably Rebel Alliance for Light Side. I assume you will need a deck for each side for tournaments.

#6 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

In defense of peace and justice, I'm excited to play as a light side player. But bounty hunters have always been a soft spot for me, so when that faction gets fleshed out I think I may switch sides … for the right price.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Budgernaut said:

In defense of peace and justice, I'm excited to play as a light side player. But bounty hunters have always been a soft spot for me, so when that faction gets fleshed out I think I may switch sides … for the right price.

We don't need their scum!

#9 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I take it all back. There's an Ewok pod, one of the Neutral Light Side pods in the Core Set. That's what I'll be playing, and I guess I'll have to bring some lame "good guys" with me to make it work.

Now I just want to know what Force Pack cycle will come after Hoth. Will they make their way through Empire, so we'll see Dagobah and/or Cloud City next. Or will they jump around? The Endor cycle cannot come soon enough. I must have more Ewoks! My dream is to run an Ewok deck, please don't let me down, FFG.

I also wonder how long it would take to have enough to run a purely Neutral deck. Both sides have three Neutral pods in the Core Set, but two of them are Limit One Per Deck, so the best you could do at first is 30 or 40% Neutral, depending on if you have one or two cores. It seems like most or many of the Neutral objectives will be Limit One, so it might not be until the Hoth cycle is complete that we actually have the cards to go full Neutral. I wonder if they'd ever print proper Neutral affiliation cards; perhaps in an expansion.

#10 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

alpha5099 said:

I take it all back. There's an Ewok pod, one of the Neutral Light Side pods in the Core Set. That's what I'll be playing, and I guess I'll have to bring some lame "good guys" with me to make it work.

Show me! I dared not hope. I thought I had to settle for jawas.

#11 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

qwertyuiop said:

alpha5099 said:

Show me! I dared not hope. I thought I had to settle for jawas.

No visual spoilers yet, but we've got this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkJg8gKsOXl5dGliYlpVYmRqQmtKTENlM1VzS1NWUHc#gid=0

The Ewok pod is Objective Set 17.

#12 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thank you thank you!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS