Photo

Navigator Duels: Fall out from Fatigue = Win! What?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I really think this has to be an error, or else 'doping' before the duel - by having someone punch the crap out of you - would be the secret technique of victory.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

HappyDaze said:

I really think this has to be an error, or else 'doping' before the duel - by having someone punch the crap out of you - would be the secret technique of victory.

Hey HappyDaze, does this refer to something in the Navis book? I don't recall reading anything about Navigator duels.

#3 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Macharias the Mendicant said:

HappyDaze said:

Hey HappyDaze, does this refer to something in the Navis book? I don't recall reading anything about Navigator duels.

Correct. Exact text:

Each navigator uses their Lidless Stare power to try to overpower their opponent. They make an Opposed Willpower Test against each other, but do not follow the normal rules for this power. To represent the protracted battle between the two, they make a series of Tests, and the first Navigator to beat the other by 3 or more degrees of success subdues his opponent and wins the duel. Each time a Navigator makes a roll, he suffers one level of fatigue, and a Navigator who succumbs to fatigue before his opponent does wins.

It would indeed seem to be an error, since collapsing from fatigue does not strike me as the action of a winner.

#4 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

susanbrindle said:

HappyDaze said:

Each navigator uses their Lidless Stare power to try to overpower their opponent. They make an Opposed Willpower Test against each other, but do not follow the normal rules for this power. To represent the protracted battle between the two, they make a series of Tests, and the first Navigator to beat the other by 3 or more degrees of success subdues his opponent and wins the duel. Each time a Navigator makes a roll, he suffers one level of fatigue, and a Navigator who succumbs to fatigue before his opponent does wins.

It would indeed seem to be an error, since collapsing from fatigue does not strike me as the action of a winner.

It seems to me pretty safe to assume that the text should read:

Each navigator uses their Lidless Stare power to try to overpower their opponent. They make an Opposed Lidless Eye Test against each other, but do not follow the normal rules for this power. To represent the protracted battle between the two, they make a series of Tests, and the first Navigator to beat the other by 3 or more degrees of success subdues his opponent and wins the duel. Each time a Navigator makes a roll, he suffers one level of fatigue, and a Navigator who succumbs to fatigue before his opponent does loses.

However, it does seem that beating your oppoenent by 3 degrees before they pass out is a much more decisive victory than just outlasting the other Navigator. Also, I suggested another change: shouldn't the Navigators use their modified Lidless Eye tests instead of just WP tests? I seems like this is what is implied in this description, but making it explicit seems like a good idea.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS