• 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

The Hoth Cycle begins!!!!

#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

WOW! I really didn't expect such an announcement so soon!!!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

They always have previews at least 3 months in advance to allow pre order from retailers. 

#4 Meaxe

Meaxe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

We now know that we'll have another Vader and maybe another Wedge (depending if there is a Wedge Antilles in the core set) in this Force Pack.  And the Force Pack will include between 5 and 6 new objective and maybe more.

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Well, what I meant was I'd expected to have had the core set in my sweaty little hands before the first cycle was announced! 

#6 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

There is alot of announcements and articles coming out so they are getting this ready for release which is a great thing

#7 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Jvirtue55 said:

There is alot of announcements and articles coming out so they are getting this ready for release which is a great thing

Oh yes! It makes me feel like it's finally going to happen!!

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

spalanzani said:

Well, what I meant was I'd expected to have had the core set in my sweaty little hands before the first cycle was announced! 

spalanzani said:

That would have meant no first cycle till March. Now we are looking at February which is right on track with all of the other LCG's as there is usually a 1 month break after a major release like a core set or deluxe expansion, sometimes longer if the core sets sell out fast like with Android: Netrunner.

I am excited they started with Hoth. They are my favorite scenes from the movies.

#9 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Speeders and AT-ATs and Wampas, oh my!

#10 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

The Products page for this says that it contains sets 37-42.  So we've got 6 new sets past the 36 sets in the core game.  They've already stated 10 new sets per box (60 card box, same as usual).  So that means 4 sets in double, and 2 sets that are "unique."

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

I was really hoping that the scum & villainy / smugglers and spies expansion would be one of the first products released. Maybe such a box won't exist, or maybe it will be in the middle of the Hoth cycle. I can't wait to see how this develops.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Generally the larger box sets will take between 3 and 6 months before they come out. 

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#13 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Wow, we are just on information overload the last week or so. So exciting!

Honestly a little surprised they started with Hoth, and more specifically how focused the cycle as a whole will be. I wonder if this will be par for the course for the cycles, or if other cycles will be a bit more diffuse in their themes. I like the idea of this: the Endor cycle, the Cloud City cycle, the Jabba's Palace city, so on and so forth. Does this mean that the Core Set is pretty focused on the A New Hope, and so we'll see cycles progressing roughly through Empire and Jedi?

I'm curious to see how this whole Hoth mechanic plays out, particularly as it sounds like the mechanics are mainly focused on the Rebel Alliance and Imperial Navy factions. Are the pods for the other four factions completely disengaged from this Hoth theme, or will they play into it as well? And with six pods to a Force Pack seeming to be what the distribution model is (two unique pods, four duplicate pods), how will they be spread out for the factions? In other LCGs, there's pretty much always a few cards for every faction, but we might see packs that don't cover a given faction at all.

One concern I have over this Hoth mechanic is that it sounds like it could be something we'll have to wait for the whole cycle to be complete to really utilize. I'm reminded of the City plots from the King's Landing cycle in AGOT, a set of plot cards that all interact with each other in important ways; when you have all of them, they can be quite powerful, but just one or two aren't going to do you much good. Will the Hoth objectives be worth playing right away, or will we need more packs? And is this first pack going to be pretty Rebel and Imperial focused in order to get enough Hoth cards out into the card pool right off the bat?

Questions, I got 'em! Can't wait for the game to finally be here. Fingers crossed they'll release the rule book this weekend.

#14 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Budgernaut said:

I was really hoping that the scum & villainy / smugglers and spies expansion would be one of the first products released. Maybe such a box won't exist, or maybe it will be in the middle of the Hoth cycle. I can't wait to see how this develops.

Budgernaut said:

Smugglers and bounty hunters will probably make up a lot of the deluxe expansion, which would really help kick off the Empire cycle after Hoth and finish up any  New Hope themes(like metric tons of jawas).  If so, my guess is that Dagobah and Cloud City will be lumped in together. Is there enough material to get one cycle each out of them? Maybe, and then transition with another deluxe expansion into two to three cycles of Jedi..with lots of ewoks. How long does FFG have the license for again?
Or maybe I'm completely wrong and the theme will be based on Shadows of the Empire material.
I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but I am excited.

Edit: Apparently I wanted to respond to you twice for emphasis.

#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Anyone else happy they've stuck with Force Packs, and not gone for some other option?

One of the interesting things I noticed in Nate's preview here was the fact that, when an objective passes to your opponent, your opponent seems to have control of them? I wonder if this will be expanded upon to give your opponent greater benefits from having your objectives on his side of the table, or something. It's an interesting idea, anyway.

I'm also really interested to see how they can expand upon the first forty minutes or so of the film into a six-cycle pack. I didn't realise there was that much stuff! Hopefully they'll be delving into the EU for this at any rate, so maybe we'll get a Dash Rendar before the cycle is up?

Seems to me like the objective card to the rear of the two-card fan where they discuss how Force packs work, that is a Jedi objective (the colouring seems to be tan, like others that have been previewed), though I don't know if that'll be an objective in this pack. At least it won't be exclusively a two-faction-per-pack thing, maybe. Though that could be a good thing for some people who prefer to only get the cards they want. Being a completist, I don't really care either way… 

Seems like the game is off to a flying start, anyway, even if the core set isn't even out yet! I am thrilled in my little corner of Wales 

#16 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Budgernaut said:

Same here. Does anyone remember when Assault on Ulthuan was released in relation to the Corruption Cycle for Warhammer, by any chance?! 

EDIT: checking through the news page for Warhammer, Assault on Ulthuan was announced as released between the fourth and fifth packs of the first cycle for that game. What bearing that will have on this game, I have no real idea, but just wanted to share the fruits of my (admittedly easy) research on that…

#17 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

spalanzani said:

One of the interesting things I noticed in Nate's preview here was the fact that, when an objective passes to your opponent, your opponent seems to have control of them? I wonder if this will be expanded upon to give your opponent greater benefits from having your objectives on his side of the table, or something. It's an interesting idea, anyway.

While that is an interesting concept, and something very in keeping with the mythology, I believe you may have misunderstood. What it sounds like to me, is that the Light Side player will have his Hoth objectives, and the Dark Side player will have his. Both sides will have cards that look to see who currently has more Hoth objectives on the table. Thus, if you find you have an equal or lesser number of Hoth objectives than your opponent, you are encouraged to "battle for Hoth," represented by focusing your attacks on his Hoth objective(s). There is the possibility that Hoth objectives themselves may change ownership during play, but this is not necessary for driving home the struggle over the system.

I'm beginning to see the value in the set-based production. It's really an ingenious way to capture the tone of galactic conflict, without the need for a dozen cards cluttering the table. It's also a broad concept to build upon, in that objectives can represent anything, not just planets like Hoth, but long-term goals, Force-sensitive ideologies, and so forth.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#18 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

spalanzani said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Where does it talk about objectives passing to your opponent?

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#19 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

MarthWMaster said:

spalanzani said:

While that is an interesting concept, and something very in keeping with the mythology, I believe you may have misunderstood. What it sounds like to me, is that the Light Side player will have his Hoth objectives, and the Dark Side player will have his. 

You are most likely entirely right! It was very late, and I was very excited 

#20 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Darksbane said:

spalanzani said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Where does it talk about objectives passing to your opponent?

I may have misinterpreted! Reading this:

While the light side controls more of the planet than its foes, their new Hoth objectives grant them protection from dark side assaults, advantages in edge battles, and other benefits.

in conjunction with this:

A number of light side effects, like that on the Hoth Operations card, are dependent upon the light side player controlling more Hoth objectives than his opponent.

made me think that the light side player only will have Hoth objectives, which the dark side player can "capture" (half-remembered mechanics that involve the text on the Princess Leia card) objectives for their own nefarious purposes. In the cold light of day, however, I have since seen this:

additional Force Packs will introduce more Hoth objective sets to the environment for both the light side and the dark side,

which really flies in the face of what I was thinking last night. Please disregard my previous, over-excited ramblings 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS