Jump to content



Photo

3 questions, come in if you want to learn more about this game :-)


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I v been playing for several months now… and i think to enjoy this game without errors you need great patience, since at the end of each game there are tremendous calculations,setup and planning. Also you need to keep everything organized until the end or you will make mistakes when calculating, setup or planning, especially at the end of the game…My questions are:

1. Do players have hand limitation?

2. When to use an "action"? For example: 

a. When a location revealed during quest phase, can we use "Asfaloth" the horse card to act and eliminate that location, so that threat power wont be counted later?

b. When a location is removed by a successful quest phase,if there are more quest tokens left, can we use "gandalfs map"to act, make another location active, then put the left tokens on it?

And could someone explain what is an "action window" pls?

3. Why does a tournament deck have 50 cards? For me i think the more cards i have, the more uncertainty my decks gona be. For most of players, how many cards do they have in a deck for a solo or 2 players game? 



#2 richsabre

richsabre

    Moby the Goldfish

  • Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

 

I v been playing for several months now… and i think to enjoy this game without errors you need great patience, since at the end of each game there are tremendous calculations,setup and planning. Also you need to keep everything organized until the end or you will make mistakes when calculating, setup or planning, especially at the end of the game…My questions are:

1. Do players have hand limitation?

2. When to use an "action"? For example: 

a. When a location revealed during quest phase, can we use "Asfaloth" the horse card to act and eliminate that location, so that threat power wont be counted later?

b. When a location is removed by a successful quest phase,if there are more quest tokens left, can we use "gandalfs map"to act, make another location active, then put the left tokens on it?

And could someone explain what is an "action window" pls?

3. Why does a tournament deck have 50 cards? For me i think the more cards i have, the more uncertainty my decks gona be. For most of players, how many cards do they have in a deck for a solo or 2 players game? 

 

 

1. what do you mean by 'hand limitation'? if you mean is there an upper limit on cards then the answer is NO….however remember that you can only have 3 of each card (sometimes 1)

2.actions can be used at the start and end of each phase (as per the new faq) and in each GREEN WINDOW….so your examples the first you can do, as you have an action window before quest resolution (after cards have been revealed) however the second you cannot as there is no action window between discarding a location and removing the tokens

in any case extra tokens go on the quest card- never on other locations

the action windows are in the end of the rule book….basically red windows are game stages where actions cannot be taken but responses can be (test of will for example)…green windows are game stages where actions can be taken at any time

you could not for example heal a character in a red window using an action, but you could play a card if it said for instance 'response: after an enemy is revealed from the encounter deck heal 1 damage on 1 ally you control'

3.this is the general amount to state in the game as too few card (30 for eg.) would make the game too easy…this is why tourament decks have more…as you say the more cards the less certainty you have..this is not by accident as its part of the game's diificulty. in general i would forget they are called 'tourmanet decks' as this is a bad name…they are proper decks which most players use once they get experienced

i never go over 50…..i now play solo but 2 handed, each with 50 cards….this is about right, though 52/3 is not that much over.

if you want to make a deck with less cards within the rules i recommned using two cards if you have them

daerons runes

we have not been idle

what these do is discard themselves and draw cards for no cost- thus making you have a deck with less cards

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#3 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

 Thank you rich, now….

I."however remember that you can only have 3 of each card (sometimes 1)", i think for unique cards u can have more than 1 in your hands but u can put only one into play?So  whats that "sometimes 1"?

II. 30 cards a deck makes the game easier for me, since i could never make core set 3 quest 3 with 50 cards… and is that really illegal to have 30 cards in a deck? (I dont have many expansions so for multi players game i dont have enough cards to build everybody a 50 cards deck)



#4 richsabre

richsabre

    Moby the Goldfish

  • Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

 

 Thank you rich, now….

I."however remember that you can only have 3 of each card (sometimes 1)", i think for unique cards u can have more than 1 in your hands but u can put only one into play?So  whats that "sometimes 1"?

II. 30 cards a deck makes the game easier for me, since i could never make core set 3 quest 3 with 50 cards… and is that really illegal to have 30 cards in a deck? (I dont have many expansions so for multi players game i dont have enough cards to build everybody a 50 cards deck)

 

 

-yes you can have 3 uniques in your hand…the card i refer to is path of need which you can only have 1 in your hand, i think there are some cards coming up in future packs similar to this

-well technically i think it is breaking the rules….if i remember the rule book rightly you can only make the 30 card decks with the single sphere decks designed to introduce you to the game- i dont think theyre meant to be anything long term

but its your game, so if you want to stick with it then go ahead

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

    Member

  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

richsabre said:

in general i would forget they are called 'tourmanet decks' as this is a bad name…they are proper decks which most players use once they get experienced

When it comes to interpreting rules, people always take a very legalistic approach, and take things literally and word-for-word.  EXCEPT when it comes to the 50-card rule.  I don't really understand why.  I think it is because players are not comfortable when there is no limitation on deck size.  If the manual said "standard deck minimum size 40, tournament deck minimum size 50," we would never have this discussion….

The rules do not specify any sort of minimum number of cards for a deck.  Any amount is legal play.  "Fewer than 50 is legal" is not a house rule, but rules as specified by the game manual!  There are TWO exceptions:

1) If playing in a tournament, there is a 50-card specified minimum.

2) In any game, your deck may never contain more than 3 copies of a card.

 

The community has pretty universally interpreted limitation number 1 as applying to any game, fairly well ignoring the "tournament" part.  So everyone constructs decks and plays with 50 or more cards (myself included).  I play with 50+ cards because it feels "valid" if there is some sort of metric to which everyone is restricted.  

But it's not a rule!

 



#6 richsabre

richsabre

    Moby the Goldfish

  • Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

GrandSpleen said:

 

richsabre said:

 

in general i would forget they are called 'tourmanet decks' as this is a bad name…they are proper decks which most players use once they get experienced

 

 

When it comes to interpreting rules, people always take a very legalistic approach, and take things literally and word-for-word.  EXCEPT when it comes to the 50-card rule.  I don't really understand why.  I think it is because players are not comfortable when there is no limitation on deck size.  If the manual said "standard deck minimum size 40, tournament deck minimum size 50," we would never have this discussion….

The rules do not specify any sort of minimum number of cards for a deck.  Any amount is legal play.  "Fewer than 50 is legal" is not a house rule, but rules as specified by the game manual!  There are TWO exceptions:

1) If playing in a tournament, there is a 50-card specified minimum.

2) In any game, your deck may never contain more than 3 copies of a card.

 

The community has pretty universally interpreted limitation number 1 as applying to any game, fairly well ignoring the "tournament" part.  So everyone constructs decks and plays with 50 or more cards (myself included).  I play with 50+ cards because it feels "valid" if there is some sort of metric to which everyone is restricted.  

But it's not a rule!

 

 

 

oh well….honest mistake….blame the 'community'


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#7 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

    Member

  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

 hey, sorry if that sounded like an admonishment-- it was certainly a rant, but not meant to be harsh

 



#8 richsabre

richsabre

    Moby the Goldfish

  • Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

GrandSpleen said:

 hey, sorry if that sounded like an admonishment-- it was certainly a rant, but not meant to be harsh

 

haha- dont worry it didnt, my last comment was a joke….but thanks for pointing that out….strange how these 'rules' get stuck in my head

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS