• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SirFrog

SirFrog

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

First things first, hello FFG-forums!

I'll be to the point. We were having some thoughts in our group on exactly WHEN the official material of Rogue Trader is supposed to take place. Now, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure no official date is in the corebook, and I haven't read all the supplements. Is there an official date, or is it simply up to the specific GM to decide when (or roughly when) it all occurs? My guess was that 999.M41, but I really have no idea.

Thoughts?

#2 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

The official time line is 816.M41 (according to the Epoch Koronus web supplement, available on the Support page here listed as "A History of the Koronus Expanse"). It's free for an individual GM to shift as they see fit, though.

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I believe the entire FFG line starts/takes place in 816m41/817m41.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I've always struggled with the 40k time system. What does the time period really mean for the setting? Are there major events that haven't happened yet?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#5 Tequila

Tequila

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Well fluffwise:

"A Sisters of Battle fortress-convent, Sanctuary 101, is completely destroyed by Necrons. This raid is the first recorded contact with the Necrons."

and that was/ is going to be 897.M41

#6 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

The Second Tyrannic War (Hive Fleet Kraken) is due in 990.M41-993.M41, with the Third (Hive Fleet Leviathan) arriving in 997.M41. (the First Tyrannic War didn't really affect this area of the galaxy, but happened in 745.M41).

As has been said, first recognised contact with the Necrons happens with the Massacre at Sanctuary 101 in 897.

The Eastern Fringe is occupied with the Damocles Gulf Crusade against the Tau (been ongoing since 742.M41), and likely will be until Kraken or Leviathan.

In local news- the 13th Black Crusade is due at the end of the millennium, with an upswing of raids in the run-up.

The Badab War is due in 901.m41, as Chapter Master Lufgt Huron of the Astral Claws revolts and secedes from the Imperium. He is joined by three other chapters of Astartes.

941. M41, 2nd War for Armageddon. First major incident involving ork warlord Ghazgul Mag Uruk Thraka.

Basically, see here for a rundown of key events.

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#7 Emperor Castaigne

Emperor Castaigne

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Tequila said:

Well fluffwise:

"A Sisters of Battle fortress-convent, Sanctuary 101, is completely destroyed by Necrons. This raid is the first recorded contact with the Necrons."

and that was/ is going to be 897.M41

I believe the current retcon is that Sanctuary 101 marks the first "official" contact with the Necrons, with earlier conflicts either leaving no survivors, being covered up by the Inquisition, or the information simply not becoming widespread for any number of reasons. This gives writers some leeway for using the Necrons before that date, as long as they don't become common knowledge. It's part of how FFG can use the Necrons in Black Crusade (the Imperium don't know that the Screaming Vortex is inhabitable) and Deathwatch (the Achilus Crusade is covered up to hide the existence of the Warp Gate between the Calixis Sector and the Jericho Reach).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS