Photo

My Best Decks Ever - two decks which together killed Smaug but still looking for critiques

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Stenun

Stenun

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Here contained are the deck lists for two decks that were designed to be played together and are, I believe, my best decks ever.

Please note that the title of this thread is “MY best decks ever”. I am most definitely NOT saying that these are the best decks in the world, they are simply the best decks I think I have yet built.
They were designed to take on The Battle Of Lake-Town and Smaug and were slowly tweaked over several games until we finally managed to beat it and him. We then took these decks against other scenarios and beat our best score on every one of those scenarios on the first or second attempt.
Those scenarios were: Passage Through Mirkwood, Journey Down The Anduin, Escape From Dol Guldur, The Hunt For Gollum, Conflict At The Carrock, The Hills Of Emyn Muil, The Dead Marshes, The Seventh Level, Into The Pit and Flight From Moria.

You will possibly have noticed that the list of scenarios above contains every Scenario from the first cycle other than: A Journey To Rhosgobel and Return To Mirkwood. The reasons for this bring me to the next point I want to make: known weaknesses.
These decks contain no Ranged or Sentinel keywords, minimal healing (just two copies of Warden Of Healing) and no Threat Control other than Gandalf. Thus, we avoided the heavy Threat and Healing scenarios and relied purely on Gandalf and the Warden for such help against the others.

Thirdly, Deck One only used Thalin when not going against Smaug as his text is next to useless for The Battle Of Lake-Town (other than Dwarf synergy) and Elrond was used instead. Against all other Scenarios, Thalin replaced Elrond.

Fourthly, I didn’t actually build Deck Two. It was built by my friend using my cards to compliment Deck One which I did build. As such, it’s not exactly as I would have constructed it but I’ve decided to post it as my friend built it seeing as it did end up doing so well.

And finally, I do own two Core Sets …

My reasons for posting these decks are two-fold. Firstly, I was wondering what the better players might change and why; secondly, I thought someone might possibly maybe possibly get some benefit from seeing how others have beaten Smaug. I hope I’m not displaying too much hubris with my second reason. :-)

I look forward to your critiques!

DECK ONE: Lore and Tactics

Heroes:
Bifur
Gimli
Thalin (or Elrond)

Allies:
Erebor Record Keeper x3

Erebor Hammersmith x3
Miner Of The Iron Hills x2
Veteran Axehand x3
Warden Of Healing x2

Dori x3
Erebor Battle Master x3

Veteran Of Nanduhirion x3

Gandalf (core) x3

Beorn x2

Attachments:
Boots From Erebor x2

Horn Of Gondor x2
Legacy Of Durin x2
Protector Of Lorien x2
Song Of Battle x2
Song Of Wisdom x2

Dwarven Axe x2

Citadel Plate x2

Events:
Khazad! Khazad! X3
Stand Together x2
Ancestral Knowledge x2

DECK TWO
: Leadership and Spirit

Heroes:

Gloin
Dain Ironfoot
Eleanor

Allies:

Zigil Miner x3

Bofur x2
Fili x3
Kili x3
Longbeard Elder x3

Erestor x2
Faramir x3
Northern Tracker x3

Gandalf (core set) x3

Attachments:

Song Of Travel x2

Steward Of Gondor x3
Unexpected Courage

Events:

Parting Gifts x3
We Are Not Idle x3

Dwarven Tomb x2
Hasty Stroke x3
Sneak Attack x3
A Test Of Will x3
Will Of The West x2

Stand And Fight x3

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS