Photo

Full Doom Track: Arkham Horror Podcast - Goes Live!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to announce that my free podcast show, Full Doom Track: Investigating Arkham is released and available for download!  This show is dedicated to FFG's Arkham Horror board game and its expansions and I'm excited to present it to you!  At this point, listening off of the FDT website would be best as I believe iTunes takes a couple days to update the feed.  I'm happy to hear comments on the show in this thread along with questions and suggestions!  Thanks for reading!

FDT

fulldoomtrack[dot]podbean[dot]com

#2 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Nice!  It was perhaps a little harsh to front-load all that negativity--not that it all didn't ring true--but you pulled it out at the end: "We wouldn't be here if we didn't think the game was awesome."  Came off rather triumphant, really.

I liked the game session, although I must admit my attention did wander a bit in the middle.  Maybe it's too much like a "giant wall of text" to do a whole session all at once.  Not sure how to fix that, though.  Maybe try the old Batman routine?  Break dramatically somewhere in the middle, do an intermission, then a "When we last left our Investigators…" finish?

You covered the question pretty thoroughly.  I always throw down Clues anywhere (except open Gates, of course), because of a few cards that could get to them.  (You hit on Yibb and Vision Quest, but there's also the Student Newspaper.)

As far as dilution: I think it really comes down to this.  Either you avoid it entirely and only play with minimal expansions at once (like I do), or you play with as much as you want and always include Miskatonic Horror.  Pros: The former only has to deal with one or two mechanics at once, usually focusing the theme on the expansions; the latter has true chaos in that you can never predict what craziness will happen next.  Cons: Technically, the former is going to neglect a portion of your collection every game, but the latter puts theme, and often mechanics, in a blender on frappe, which could result in a sludgy coffee.

What was that noise?

#3 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

No, first off I love the fact that this Podcast even exists. 2ndly I love the music. Is it "loops" or full original compositions?

Kinda "skimmed" thru it (at 2am) but will give it the full listen tomorrow…. I think you could consider having guests or a co-host. Not that anything's lacking at all, it's just that all sorts of insight etc can come thru dialogue with a second brain. I'd love to hear heated Arkham Horror discussions between various players.

I love that you're willing to read some lucky listener's Session Reports- that's awesome! Would you consider doing a dramatic reading of a partial write- up, ie where a few turns are fleshed out into short-story form?

Can't wait to hear where this Podcast goes in the future!

#4 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the podcast. I liked how you reviewed the game and your style analizing the game insights.

I would like to suggests that you split the session since it feels too long . You could  for example split it up in two:  the game recap in one and your reviews or comments on several aspects of the game in another one. Or maybe in several chapters: 1) recap, 2) review (expansions, ancient ones,investigators,…) and 3)analysis (in your next chapter would be for example game dilution). That would add more structure.

I am myself quite new. I bought the base game 3 months ago and since I loved it that much I bought  already two expansions recently (CodtDP, DH) and planning buying the next expansions in the near future. I also agree with you with the dice. They are awesome.

Well,  great job and looking forward to hear your next chapter :-)

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#5 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Time to stroke my goatee, adjust my little round glasses (or monocle), and give my Smug Critique of FDT#1…. (cause you axed for feedback on the podcast)

Loved the whole thing.

Course I'd have done things differently- more spooky sound fx and melodramatic readings of the Session Report, for example- you don't really capture the spookines and Lovecrafti-ness of  AH, but maybe that's best left for the game. (The various COC RPG podcasts I've heard aren't very "spooky" either) I thought the session report was going to be boring cause you're very matter-of-fact and barely jazz it up at all, but I wound up listening intently all thru my walk. 

I hope you address at least one Fiddly Rules Question every episode- cause no matter how obscure or unlikely a question seems, sooner or later the whole game WILL hinge on it.

I hope you do interviews in future episodes. Maybe discuss fan creations with the fans who created them? It's amazing how many potential topics there are, how involved this boardgame's "world" has become- this podcast could go on for a long time and I hope it does!

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

FullDoomTrack,

Thank you very much for kicking this off!  Love the music and the whole feel of the program.  Others have pointed out that it feels a bit long…not bad advice to trim it back in some areas or stop the flow, talk about an issue or combination of cards which has caused a variety of interpretations, and then back to the action.  There's much you can do with this one as you have thousands of players ~ and right here hundreds of gamers waiting for more…more of anything about one of their favorite games. 

I'm excited to share it in a few weeks while in Philadelphia for the Thanksgiving.

All the best!

Cheers,

Joe/the Professor

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hey everyone!

I'd like to thank you all for your kind words and constructive posts in regards to the first episode.  I'm very excited about the second round which should be ready the first week in December (if I can manage to beat all of my finals without triggering the bad epic battle cards).  If everything goes as planned we'll have another episode and, as always, if you have anything to say, positive or negative or constructive, I'd love to hear it!  I will likely create a thread here for EP2 for people to discuss and respond, unless of course the mods aren't interested in that sort of thing happening.

I've noticed that several people indicate that the show feels a bit long.  My initial plan was for a 30-40 minute broadcast.  Obviously this didn't work out even after the fact that I cut 10-15 minutes from the show during the editing process (I'm actually happy about this because I was worried I wouldn't have enough to say).  Either way, the review of the game came off as too long, after listening to it again and again.  My plan for this episode is to have more segments with shorter thoughts and ideas instead of 1-2 really long segments.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Holiday Season, no matter what the weather is doing in your part of the world and thanks for listening!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS