• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vogue69

vogue69

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

So… Fling huh?

You can fling an object weighing 5kg x WP,B it does 1D10 +1 per 5kg. Not that exciting. BUT the overbleed just makes this thing insane IMO.

So Fling has a TH of 14, I go to the extreme and say you have the mastery, this makes it a TH of 9?

You go full on Darth Vader and fling REAL heavy **** at an opponent. So you going to roll 5D10 + 7 (70WP) plus a crapload of boni. Let's say you roll a 6 on every roll. that makes it probably a 40. So…

For every 5 points of overbleed you can ADD 5kg x WPB. with the above roll you have 6 levels of overbleed, adding in this case 210kg. With the base power that is 245kg. Thats like a heavy piano.

So you fling that **** onto an opponent, he can't dodge and he gets:

1D10+49 Damage.

SPLAT

Screw autocannons, mole mortars and heavy meltas. Fling pianos instead.

#2 vogue69

vogue69

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

How do you guys play fling? Does the psyker has to declare an object he wants to fling, you make up a weight in your mind and he has to guess, how heavy it could be, roll some dice and you go NERNERNER, when he doesn't get the number?

Or does he roll for fling, checks the weight he can throw, and then searches for an object in a 10m radius and picks the one which is the heaviest?

Can you fling a missile or a grenade back at an attacker if you delay your action?

Can you fling a piece of paper for 1D10 dmg?

can you fling a powerarmor (with the guy inside lol)?

#3 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't have my book with me currently, but wasn't it a flat +5 kg per overbleed, not 5 kg x wpb?

#4 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I used to move pianos.

A 9' grand piano (typically the largest) weighs approximately 950 pounds, or roughly 432 kg.

A 6'6" grand is approximately 650 pounds, or roughly 295 kg.

Lets say you get really lucky all the way around…
With a WPB of 7 you can fling 35 kg, a successful Invocation makes the Threshold auto, but you're obligated to roll at least one die. For grins, you roll all 7, and all come up 10s. 70 divided by 5 is 14 sets of Overbleed; 14 times 35 is 490 extra kg, for a total of 525 kg. You fling a 9' grand 21 meters.

There is supposed to be a comma in the sentence, making it read thus: "…d10, +1 per 5 kg weight." 525 divided by 5 is 105. Damage is d10+105.

Makes perfect sense to me, based on RAW. You just got slammed by a 1967 Volkwagen Karmann Ghia.

You can Dodge. If failed, yeah, splat. Kinda anticlimactic unless used on a big guy (with Fate to spend/burn). You can also use Catch Projectiles. Or a Field save.

And a piece of paper will only do Damage if it weighs at least 5kg. Not likely, unless it's a REALLY big piece of paper…like the rolls used for newsprint.

You cannot Fling a grenade back to it's thrower. Delay interrupts the Action of throwing, so there's nothing to Fling. And Fling does not have a Free Action or Reaction Focus Time. It's a Full Action. Pick an item, calculate, Fling. Give the Psyker some leeway if he's got excellent math-related Skills. But that's just me.

Lastly…

"You can telekinetically lift an unattended object…" Power Armour with someone inside of it would not be considered unattended, so no, you can't Fling a dude in Power Armour.

#5 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

vogue69 said:

How do you guys play fling? Does the psyker has to declare an object he wants to fling, you make up a weight in your mind and he has to guess, how heavy it could be, roll some dice and you go NERNERNER, when he doesn't get the number?

Or does he roll for fling, checks the weight he can throw, and then searches for an object in a 10m radius and picks the one which is the heaviest?

Can you fling a missile or a grenade back at an attacker if you delay your action?

vogue69 said:

I would say that for simplicity, the psyker knows the estimate weight of items. I would think that asking the GM everytime about the weight and/or rolling an intelligence check would be tiresome and might slow the game. Ask your gm how to do it.

vogue69 said:

missile, I am not sure, but innovative uses for powers are always an option, and if I were a gm, I would say that yes you may fling the grenade back. The trouble is, do you know if the enemy is going to fling a grenade or shoot his gun?

vogue69 said:

By the rules, yes… but I doubt that any gm would allow you to have 1000 pieces of paper which you can fling a 1d10 per piece. Use common sense :)

This brings me to the fact that, among many other things, fling is pretty unclear on various things. What if you fling a buzzsaw? or a sharp iron bar? how about normal throwable weapons, like mono knives or throwing spears?

vogue69 said:

This is based on the fact that you think overbleeding is 5kg x wpb, which I think is only +5kg per overbleed.

EDIT: This was written prior to the previous post, and also, I don't have my book on hand so I cannot check the power.

#6 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

PnPgamer said:

This brings me to the fact that, among many other things, fling is pretty unclear on various things. What if you fling a buzzsaw? or a sharp iron bar? how about normal throwable weapons, like mono knives or throwing spears?

"…an unattanded item…" implies one item. A Mono Knife does not weigh 5 kg. A Spear weighs 3 kg (Inquisitor's Handbook).

The point is, you're flinging an item. Fling a book or magazing. Does it always strike something with the spine? No. So, a buzzsaw might hit, but not necessarily with the turning blade, thus the random Damage.

Fling stuff like manhole covers. Or Smart Cars.

#7 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

did the power specifically say that it needs to be minimum 5 kg to be thrown?

#8 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

You can Fling a safety pin, if you want. If the item doesn't weigh at least 5 kg you get no damage. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS