Dark Eldar Psykers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdynick

Nerdynick

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Quick question.  It is my understanding that all Eldar are latent psykers.  Now, I've only given Soul Reaver a cursory look thus far and when I played the tabletop game, I never knew anyone who played Dark Eldar, but I don't believe I've ever heard reference to a Dark Eldar psyker.  Why is that?

#2 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Because they are scared as hell that psychic screwup could make their webway realm vulnerable to a daemonic invasion. That's why use of psychic powers is one of the few things strictly forbidden in Commorragh.

#3 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Dark Eldar don't have psykers, to the best of my knowledge. Whether every Eldar is really latent-psychic is not something I'm sure has ever been said, though it is something I do believe, but having a trace of the power is not the same as the quantity to do anything with it, and the skill to shape it. To borrow from Mass Effect, I'd think every Eldar is slightly psyker (biotic), but most cannot actually shape and direct that power. Perhaps it helps augment them, giving them their fluid grace, and their enhanced lifespans, but they can't USE it. Eldar Seers are more like those with amps. They have more power in them, and they are trained to harness that power to do stuff, like see the future, or rend someone apart.

Dark Eldar are the same. The difference is they actively probe their own for those with the greater capacity, and they shank them, eliminating them, or using them in profane rituals to make terrible weapons. They never allow these individuals to actually become powerful. Doing so allows for walking "Daemon doormats", just waiting to let something terrible into Commoragh, and the DE don't want to put up with it; they might have to start wearing Soulstones, again. Slaanesh might find them intriguing enough a group of assholes to not swig them all, yet, but they are actively hiding in Commoragh, and the Warp has difficulty getting into the Webway, due to the thick walls that support it; with no psykers to make holes, they don't have to worry about their terrible excesses attracting Slaanesh right to them, through said psyker's nosebleed.

#4 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I have been operating under the impression that the dark eldar psychic potential was withered away with their souls. Either that or slaanesh bent their psychic potential to form the conduit through which they feed it the suffering of others. Honestly there could be lots of explanations, but as far as I know, the dark eldar no longer have that capability.

#5 Obetor

Obetor

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Dark Eldar are trained to suppress there psychic potential, and different drugs to make sure that they can’t use their power. 
In short eBarbarossa is right  

- Erik

#6 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Psykers in Commorragh would be like putting up a neon sign to a Slaaneshi late-night all-you-can-eat buffét.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

Fgdsfg said:

Psykers in Commorragh would be like putting up a neon sign to a Slaaneshi late-night all-you-can-eat buffét.

yet eldar psykers travel through the webway without such issues

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#8 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

HappyDaze said:

Fgdsfg said:

yet eldar psykers travel through the webway without such issues

Craftworld Eldar deal with the soul-sucking of Slaanesh in an entirely different way, disciplining themselves and anchoring their souls. Craftworld Eldar doesn't just have psykers, they're famous for them.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#9 Geom

Geom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

I don't remember how it is precisely, but Dark Eldar do not have any psykers, but instead there skills in closecombat and there speed should be better, then the rest the eldar race. 

#10 weaver95

weaver95

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Cryhavok said:

I have been operating under the impression that the dark eldar psychic potential was withered away with their souls. Either that or slaanesh bent their psychic potential to form the conduit through which they feed it the suffering of others. Honestly there could be lots of explanations, but as far as I know, the dark eldar no longer have that capability.

oh they have the capacity for psychic powers, probably on average moreso than most humans (although that's slowly shifting)…but dark eldar have an extremely strong cultural bias against developing/using powers of the warp.  which stems from the very real self interest they all have in not having their souls stolen and eaten by Slaanesh…a fate that terrifies even the dark eldar, even if they won't admit it in public.

craftworld eldar, on the other hand, have a different approach to the use of psychic powers.  they teach their people how to use such powers with (arguably) reasonable amounts of safety and tie their more powerful examples of psychic power to the betterment of their communities.  Eldar farseers are a good example - they don't use their powers for selfish gain, they use them to guide their craftworlds to safety, both in the webway and through prophecy.  

#11 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

weaver95 said:

Cryhavok said:

oh they have the capacity for psychic powers, probably on average moreso than most humans (although that's slowly shifting)…but dark eldar have an extremely strong cultural bias against developing/using powers of the warp.  which stems from the very real self interest they all have in not having their souls stolen and eaten by Slaanesh…a fate that terrifies even the dark eldar, even if they won't admit it in public.

craftworld eldar, on the other hand, have a different approach to the use of psychic powers.  they teach their people how to use such powers with (arguably) reasonable amounts of safety and tie their more powerful examples of psychic power to the betterment of their communities.  Eldar farseers are a good example - they don't use their powers for selfish gain, they use them to guide their craftworlds to safety, both in the webway and through prophecy.  

This has already been covered. Please catch up before you continue to argue with someone who has already been shown to be in error.

#12 weaver95

weaver95

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Cryhavok said:

This has already been covered. Please catch up before you continue to argue with someone who has already been shown to be in error.

how about no?  does no work for you?  'cause it's working out GREAT for me!

ye gods…its like you've never actually met a real live gamer before.  like that lame ass bitchy comment would scare anyone away…

tsk.

#13 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

weaver95 said:

Cryhavok said:

how about no?  does no work for you?  'cause it's working out GREAT for me!

ye gods…its like you've never actually met a real live gamer before.  like that lame ass bitchy comment would scare anyone away…

tsk.

wait, your saying that you are going to participate in an arguement that is not even happening lol. Dear lord we have a genius here… Aparently with the maturity of a twelve year old.

FYI scaring you away was not the goal, the goal was to get you to actually have a clue. Sadly it is obvious that you have the mental capacity of a giant, retarded sphincter.

#14 weaver95

weaver95

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Cryhavok said:

wait, your saying that you are going to participate in an arguement that is not even happening lol. Dear lord we have a genius here… Aparently with the maturity of a twelve year old.

FYI scaring you away was not the goal, the goal was to get you to actually have a clue. Sadly it is obvious that you have the mental capacity of a giant, retarded sphincter.

feeling a tad insecure are we?  that was quite the reaction I managed to pull out of you.  Imagine if i'd actually tried to be insulting….THAT would have been an epic breakdown! 

#15 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

weaver95 said:

Cryhavok said:

feeling a tad insecure are we?  that was quite the reaction I managed to pull out of you.  Imagine if i'd actually tried to be insulting….THAT would have been an epic breakdown! 

Not even slightly. I think this is entertaining actually. Also I am somewhat curious if these forums are moderated. But if thats all you've got, I'll never find out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS