Elite

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

For those old timers out there, I thought you might be interested in this news story about the potential rebirth of classic space trading videogame, Elite.

For you young 'uns, Elite was a game in which you travel from planet to planet, trading materials and goods. You could act within the law, or engage in acts of piracy. You could carry out mercenary work. You could war with alien races. In fact if there was ever a videogame which was close in spirit to Rogue Trader, it's this one.

The graphics are laughably primitive now, but the core gameplay mechanic was very solid, and the size of the in-game universe (largely procedurally generated) was vast, especially given that the computers of the day were hundreds of times less powerful than the average modern mobile telephone. 

Last time I mentioned Elite, some years ago, Andy Hoare (of GW fame) popped into the forum to mention what a fan of the system he was. Given that the creators of Elite are looking for funding to resurrect the game, wouldn't it be a dream collaboration for the original Elite Programmers to work with GW and FFG to produce a Rogue Trader game set in the 40k universe with the core mechanics of the old Elite game? 

One can dream, I suppose!

#2 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

That would be awesome, but unfortunately, the license for making 40K games is already taken. 

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#3 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm no expert on licensing, I must admit…but isn't it possible for more than one licence to be issued? (Unless the original contract issuing the licence specified that the licensee is the only party authorised to produced licensed games I guess, thinking it through. But I don't see why GW would agree to such an exclusive arrangement.)

Haven't there been simultaneous (or roughly simultaneous) games set within the GW IP from different companies on different formats?

Anyway, I accept it's almost certainly a pipe dream on my part…   

#4 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

If I recall correctly, the license is held by publisher THQ, which contract with various developers to create games based on the GW IP.

For example, Relic is the developer for the Dawn of War series, but someone else is making the Online game. But the devs. are making this for THQ, who is the only one who can legally sell it.

THQ could pay someone to develop some Elite-like game, unless it was already covered by the scop of contract it has with one of its existing devs. I'm no expert, so this might all be hogwash :)

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#5 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Seeing how I was once set to become an Elite Trader, so much so that 2 weeks later I got busted for forgetting that school required u to attend or they send out the trudant officer.

I would love to see it come back!!

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#6 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Lightbringer said:

I'm no expert on licensing, I must admit…but isn't it possible for more than one licence to be issued? (Unless the original contract issuing the licence specified that the licensee is the only party authorised to produced licensed games I guess, thinking it through. But I don't see why GW would agree to such an exclusive arrangement.)

Haven't there been simultaneous (or roughly simultaneous) games set within the GW IP from different companies on different formats?

Anyway, I accept it's almost certainly a pipe dream on my part…   

I'm pretty sure the licence issued to THQ is an exclusive licence, and they then contract the developers to make the games. GW wouldn't legally be allowed to issue another licence if that is the case, so you'd have to get THQ to contract the Elite guys to make that game, rather than GW.

A lot of game companies/producers won't get involved into IP licencing unless it's an exclusive licence, as another person having a licence would mean competition, and also severely devalues a licence.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#7 lurkeroutthere

lurkeroutthere

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Didn't THQ just hit a spot of financial trouble/fold?

#8 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Yep, but they still hold the licence, which means that, unless something happens that means they have it removed from them, they'd still be the ones to talk to about getting an Elite-style 40k game.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#9 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think they also had a buyer lined up already to keep the company going, not sure though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS