• 3,132 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

#2 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

It was really great to hear from the designer Eric Lang on why he feels the LCG evokes Star Wars. There has been some discussion on the boards that the game is "generic" - a sentiment I don't share personally, but have seen. I'm not sure if is article will change anyone's opinion on whether the game is generic, but it is clear that Eric Lang had "Star Wars" in mind when he designed the game, not "generic space opera." also, while there is little "new" information in the article, it did have one effect on me.

The articles really stresses the deck building aspect of the game. Love it or hate it, the designers keep talking about it. While I was previously pretty neutral on the idea, the more the designers talk about it and how great it is, the more excited I get about the idea. Am I just drinking the Kool-aid?

#3 gokubb

gokubb

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Did anyone catch the mention of 'at least ten objectives'. I think it shows that there will be flexibility for larger decks if that's anyone's style. I'm still where I was at with the deck building mechanic though. Its fine for what it is, a quicker, easier way for casual players to prepare for a game. They keep trying to make it seem like it will be more of a challenge for an experienced deck builder, but I still just don't see that being possible.

#4 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

gokubb said:

Did anyone catch the mention of 'at least ten objectives'. I think it shows that there will be flexibility for larger decks if that's anyone's style. I'm still where I was at with the deck building mechanic though. Its fine for what it is, a quicker, easier way for casual players to prepare for a game. They keep trying to make it seem like it will be more of a challenge for an experienced deck builder, but I still just don't see that being possible.

It's forced variance.

Other games can sometimes fall into the trap of 4x of all the good cards and then a handful of tech for the meta. Decks are more consistent and matches tend to play out the same way everytime. 

In SW every card is essentially a 1-of meaning that each decision of when to use that card, especially for the edge battles, will carry much more weight. The challenge in deckbuilding will be to find complementing obejctive sets that include cards with similar game text to reduce variance or adding objecitve sets that inlude tech cards against popular opposing strategies. The same principles as other games are there, just presented in a different manner

#5 Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I don't know if I'll like this or not from a deck building perspective, I suspect I won't until the card pool is reasonably large.  I do however see where it brings a "different" challenge even to experienced CCG / LCGers.  Deck building is fundamentally about card evaluation in context.   Evaluating the relative power and synergy of a given card relative to other choices in the card pool with what you are trying to do, that is why you end up with allot of 3-4 of's because the optimal choice tends to be just that, the optimal choice.

Evaluating groups of cards for relative power and synergy is something that presents a completely different challenge.  Add to that the need to balance resources / factions / life points from the objectives, I can see the point of each decision you make being more complex and critical vs an individual card choice.  I am not saying this is overall more of a challenge or better, but it is fundamentally different then each other LCG / CCG out there, which I think is at least in part the point here.

I always thought Pod building was an interesting dynamic for a game like this, from the first bits of info I got on the game, my concerns were / are still about the ability for characters to battle capital starships as an example, it seems to be like something that could have been rather easily avoided from a design standpoint, and it appears to me like an attempt to simplify the game to appeal to a broader audience.  Honestly, I don't see a broader audience getting into something like an LCG for the long run, so I hope the mechanics hold up for the more core gamers…

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

These previews are getting me psyched up. I'm really starting to regret buying so much into X-Wing. I'm excited to try this game and see if it really plays as cinematically as the designers are hoping.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

On a less analytical note: I flippin' love that trash compactor art that they included in that art collage. Wonder what it'll appear on, presumably an Event or a Fate card.

I'm thrilled that we got this preview just a few days after the last one. It's a bit harder to evaluate what it tells us about the game, as its more subjective and about thematics. I'm happy to see this kind of content, but unlike the last one which provided some key details on mechanics that we could evaluate and debate about, particularly as it highlighted specific cards and their interactions, we can say even less about this preview without having the cards in hand and seeing how the game actually fleshes out these cinematic experiences.

Of course, I'm also far less concerned with the thematics of this game than I am with its mechanics. But that's just my two cents. Hopefully we'll be seeing previews this frequently from here on. Can't wait!

#8 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm the same, I wish we'd seen more content, but it's always good to have attention paid to the game in any way. 

I am really interested by the way the previews so far seem to have undertones of justifying why they have stuck with this deckbuilding mechanic. I've been excited by it since that GenCon video came out, so haven't really been foaming at the mouth in anger over it. Traditional deckbuilding, card-by-card, is fairly easy after all. The idea now of having to make cards fit into a deck in blocks of five is a great twist, and I think something that will help to shake up the card game world. I still hold to the belief, though, that the pods will contain cards that, 9 times out of 10, would have been put together in your deck if you'd had total control over it, anyway. Didn't Nate say they aren't trying to trick people into including cards they don't want, or something? 

Anyway, fingers crossed for more previews on a weekly basis! I too just wish I hadn't bought so many ships for X-Wing now…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#9 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

For me the second preview addresses the concerns many people have about heroes vs vehicles combat. I see it a s a way of seying " the fact that a rancor is able to destroy a star destroyer is our thought-through decision and we are stickigh with it to keep the game flowing".

Fans of SW should have no problems imagining a way for a Jedi to get on board of a star destroyer, ride a tauntaun through the coridors, and stick his lightaber ino one place that will make the whole ship explode. For me the cards in play represent elements that shift the tides of battle and play key roles in the "scene". If I have only two X-wing cards on the table it doesn't mean that the rebels atack using only 2 ships. It means that the "camera" follows these two ships while they make an attack run. A great battle rages in the background, represented only by the objective cards. I play another card and one of the pilots uses his jedi powers to dodge attacks. Only when i play another card next round it's revealed that this pilot is in fact Luke. 

Btw: Can Fate cards be be used inly in Edge Battles? It surely looks like it to me. 

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

You know, that's a very valid point on the whole Rancor vs Star Destroyer debate. The films are unrealistic at times, so we shouldn't expect the same from this! 

Anyway, yes, I believe Fate cards are only used in Edge Battles. Their effects happen before the result of the Edge Battle is determined, from what I recall.

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#11 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Fbaranow said:

For me the second preview addresses the concerns many people have about heroes vs vehicles combat. I see it a s a way of seying " the fact that a rancor is able to destroy a star destroyer is our thought-through decision and we are stickigh with it to keep the game flowing".

Fans of SW should have no problems imagining a way for a Jedi to get on board of a star destroyer, ride a tauntaun through the coridors, and stick his lightaber ino one place that will make the whole ship explode. For me the cards in play represent elements that shift the tides of battle and play key roles in the "scene". If I have only two X-wing cards on the table it doesn't mean that the rebels atack using only 2 ships. It means that the "camera" follows these two ships while they make an attack run. A great battle rages in the background, represented only by the objective cards. I play another card and one of the pilots uses his jedi powers to dodge attacks. Only when i play another card next round it's revealed that this pilot is in fact Luke. 

Btw: Can Fate cards be be used inly in Edge Battles? It surely looks like it to me. 

Very good point, I hadnt seen it quite like this. Card play equals "camera focus". Hm. I like it. 

Perhaps the star destroyer had rancors in bio containment, with hits from x-wings they fail and the rancor goes rampaging through the ship while fighting occurs outside, ultimately making the SD list and loose control. :)

#12 Meaxe

Meaxe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Fbaranow said:

I was not sold on the ship vs people like a lot of people here… but if they wanted a game that played fast, there was no other options.  With your "camera focus" theory, I'm sure I'll love it now, and my game experience will be enhanced by that.  

Thank you, now I will not see a ewok "killing" a star destroyer single handly, but maybe a ewok getting on the star destroyer and finding a way to destroy it, or a ewok on Endor running to a turbo-laser turret and shooting the star destroyer… the possibilities are endless.

Now I can't wait to play that game.

#13 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

When I played at GenCon, Yoda got his lightsaber.  A nicely timed event card later and Yoda was chopping down the Rancor.  I don't care what else there is to say.  This game has style.

#14 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

When I played at GenCon, Yoda got his lightsaber.  A nicely timed event card later and Yoda was chopping down the Rancor.  I don't care what else there is to say.  This game has style.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS