Falcon and Slave 1: Medium or Large

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

I could have sworn that when I was first reading up on the Falcon and Slave 1 that they were referred to as Medium ships.  Leaving me the hope that FFG might produce larger ships later.  Not that I'm looking for capital ships exactly, but larger… 

Just noticed though that the Falcon now says it is a large ship…

javascript:void(0);/*1352223357589*/

Anyone know where the original Medium size description was, or is it a figment of my imagination?  I know that capitol ships are a bit out of the scope of this game, but who wouldn't like to see some bigger sentry ships or small cruisers?

#2 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

They did mention the "medium" size in a press release somewhere but they've since said that was a mistake. The Falcon and Slave-1 are large.

#3 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

GeekZap said:

They did mention the "medium" size in a press release somewhere but they've since said that was a mistake. The Falcon and Slave-1 are large.

Most disturbing.  I guess I'll just have to come up with some scratch built stuff.  I had also been thinking about doing capitol ship rules, but handling them more like dangerous terrain is handled in other mini games…

The big ships are just such a part of SW there has to be some effort to add them to the game, even if it's all fan effort.

#4 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Practicalty means that "Capital ships" can't be too big… not at the scale and size established by X-Wing.

Frankly the largest workable ship I can think of is the Nebulon-B. The Corellian corvette has a template that seems to work. I wanted to introduce XQ platforms as well. Star Destroyers and Star cruisers are right out unless you're walking on the playing field.

#5 Devlan

Devlan

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

As much as I think that capital ships would be neat, I'd much rather FFG preserve the scale of the game, which they've stated is a fairly big priority for them.  Not that I'm normally much for immersion in spaceship games, but it is pretty nifty to have everything to scale.

#6 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Devlan said:

As much as I think that capital ships would be neat, I'd much rather FFG preserve the scale of the game, which they've stated is a fairly big priority for them.  Not that I'm normally much for immersion in spaceship games, but it is pretty nifty to have everything to scale.

I agree 100%.  I would like to see the scale preserved as well. That's why I was thinking more along the lines of making capital ships more like a terrain feature than a model.  Sort of like all of the Death Star boards this game has already inspired, complete with special rules and such.

That said, I'd love to see ships that were a bit larger than the Falcon and Slave 1.  I know that based on current pricing that would make them pretty expensive, but It would still be cool to see some smaller frigates or something of the sort.  Maybe just a few with cards that allow them to be used on either side. 

#7 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

The scale of this game is one of the most appealing features to me.  The absolute maximum size ship I think they could pull off would be corvette size, like so many people have already done with the old Kenner toy.  Nebulons, ehhh I would think that's getting a little too big.   I would not be against a Corellian gunship for Rebels and Lancer frigate for Imps.   Dang, the more I think about it, the more that sounds cooler and cooler .

#8 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I would be equally excited and worried if FFG announced larger ships as an addition. 

Excited because it would be more awesome ships models.

Worried because they would cost a small fortune :)

Still I like the current scale they are using and the idea of larger ships being used as a terrain feature could add new rules like avoiding stray turbolaser fire etc.  I wouldn't be opposed to a capital scale wargame with fighter squadrons being represented as tokens due to be being too small. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS