5 Y-wings

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

First let me say I haven't tried this out yet (as I only have 3 Y-wings), but has anyone out there tried to play with 5 Y-wings? Here's what I'm thinking:

5 Gold Squadron pilots=90 pts, and for the other 10 I'd go with R2D2, Ion Cannon, and R2 Astromech

I mean, yes, I know offensively it wouldn't do much, but you're looking at 40 hits to take this squad out, and that's without R2D2 replenishing shields. Do you know how long it would take to get 40+ hits? I guess that's the downfall of this build. You're looking at a VERY long game.

Mainly I'm just tossing around squad-building ideas in my head, and I find this build intriguing. Not that I'll ever play it, I just think it could last a while vs a TIE swarm or something, and if I brought it to a tournament , the looks I would get. :) Like I'm crazy…yet genius…:P

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#2 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

From a what if standpoint, this might be fun, but from a competitive one I have to ask…

Why would you want to roll as few dice as possible in this game?  No matter what else a Y-Wing can do to make it awesome, that 1 agility die is a weakness that 5 hull and 3 shields can't completely make up for. 

Maybe try 4 GS all outfitted with ion cannons and R2 Astromechs? Play to stay out of as many firing arcs as possible while staying at range 2?  You may not win, but you'll kill more TIES than with 5, R2, R2D2 and an ion cannon.

#3 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

doublepost!

#4 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

5 Ywings would work if you have 2 ion cannons instead. Then you'd try to ion TIEs and get as many Ywings within range 1 of that poor bastard as you can and blast away, while trying to keep the 2 Ywings with ion-Cs alive. If you manage to take down TIEs faster than you are taken down, then you do stand a pretty good chance I guess. Maybe you'd like to try 2 Xwing 3 Ywings or 3Ywings 2 Xwings instead? Either way, with so many Ywings you will be eating shots left right center nonstop, so you better have some asteroids in play.

if you ever meet a rebel opponent, good luck, especially with wedge. He will tear up your entire Ywing lineup as if they only had 1 hull and 1 shield each

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, I was thinking 2 ion cannons originally, so that's probably a little better. And yes, I know there are other better Rebel Squads out there, but I just wanted to bring this one up for discussion.

Assuming tournament rules, so 6 asteroids. Some thing to consider:

1. Y-wing primary weapon attack value is 2, the same as a generic TIE. The TIEs strength is in numbers. So, 5 Y's should help to either cancel out or mimic that advantage.

2. TIEs can only take 3 hits, a Y can take 8, almost 3 times as many.

3. Yes, I have no doubts that a Wedge/Biggs combo would likely obliterate this squad, but it's still fun to consider.

4. The Gold Pilot value is 2, so moving first to intentionally cause collisions (which I liken to football "blocking") is a strategy that is definitely in play with this squad.

5. Ion cannons on 2 Y's can also be very effective for not only causing some damage, but also for throwing opponents formations out of whack. Or possibly causing someone to crash into an asteroid, which is even more fun. :)

I dunno, I just thought it would be a fun squad to discuss.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I agree, it's a fun squad to discuss. Somehow I didn't realize that with 5 Y-wings you still have 10 points to play around with. That makes it a little more interesting to me.

My thoughts on the squad are that it's a great squad against the Imperial swarm. If you can maneuver right, you'll really challenge the TIE's to be able to take out any of your ships. That is to say, people usually expect slow Y-wings, but if you use your Speed 3 straight maneuvers you could blow past them and leave them flat footed. This is because they'll be eager for that Range 1 attack bonus. Why would dodging them be good? Because at tournaments, games are only 90 minutes, and you stand a decent chance of destroying more of their points than they can of you. If you want to really increase your chances of stayin' alive you could load 'em up with R2-D2, R2-F2 and R5-D8. That'll have your opponents desperate for hits.

Probably won't make for the most exciting matches of all time, but it might stand a chance. Okay, I've just talked myself into wanting to give it a try! Now where can I find 4 more Y-wings…

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Another reason for wanting to blow by the initial wave is because Ion Cannons can still do damage to ships not in your firing arc. And it keeps them going straight 1, whereas a ywing can koiogran afterwards and have a clean shot on the ion-ed ship.

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

you will have big problems if your opponent decides to use evade on all TIEs by default, making the ion cannons pretty much your only confirmed way to deal damage, apart from catching him when he's unable to make any actions. I have no doubt the early part of the game would be in your favour, but once it gets do to say about 2 Ywings vs 2-4 TIEs, that is when you will have major problems, especially if you do not have ion cannons.

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

hothie said:

Yeah, I was thinking 2 ion cannons originally, so that's probably a little better. And yes, I know there are other better Rebel Squads out there, but I just wanted to bring this one up for discussion.

Assuming tournament rules, so 6 asteroids. Some thing to consider:

1. Y-wing primary weapon attack value is 2, the same as a generic TIE. The TIEs strength is in numbers. So, 5 Y's should help to either cancel out or mimic that advantage.

2. TIEs can only take 3 hits, a Y can take 8, almost 3 times as many.

I dunno, I just thought it would be a fun squad to discuss.

It is a fun squad to discuss, but in a one on one fight, a single TIE will beat a single Y-Wing  most of the time, and it will do so while costing 6 points less. 

Both of your points here fail to take agility dice, ship maneuvers and TIE actions as factors. 

#10 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

let's just say there's a reason why the rebels developed the Xwing to replace the Ywings in their fight against the imperials.

if it's any consolation, a Ywing with ion cannon can pretty much kill anything under a 1v1 setting with no problems whatsoever. They are one of the best elite pilot nullifier avaliable in the game so far, the others being missiles/torpedoes and another elite pilot

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Duraham said:

let's just say there's a reason why the rebels developed the Xwing to replace the Ywings in their fight against the imperials.

if it's any consolation, a Ywing with ion cannon can pretty much kill anything under a 1v1 setting with no problems whatsoever. They are one of the best elite pilot nullifier avaliable in the game so far, the others being missiles/torpedoes and another elite pilot

So it takes 23 points to take out 12 ;) assuming the 12 points can't stay at range 3. 

#12 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

His point was that Y-wings are effective against ELITE pilots, which as you know cost much more than 12. And TIES will have a harder time knocking down the 8 HP on a Y-wing at range 3 where they are rolling 2v2 dice. In the time it takes to do that there ought to be enough chances to knock down the 3 or 5 HP on a TIE or TIE adv. even with the more limited maneuvering of a Y-wing. Nothing's a sure thing of course.

Be seeing you.

#13 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes, Evade action on a TIE, that would be the kicker. True, 1 on 1 is a losing battle for the Ywing. You'll just have to defeat them all before you get down to 1 on 1…(looooooong shot, I know. :)

Thanks., :)

#14 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

hothie said:

Yes, Evade action on a TIE, that would be the kicker. True, 1 on 1 is a losing battle for the Ywing. You'll just have to defeat them all before you get down to 1 on 1…(looooooong shot, I know. :)

Thanks., :)

I really wish the Y-Wings could do it. They just feel expensive for what they are.  Try the 4 with ions and r2s.  The ability to fire 360 at range 2 with an ion cannon is the best thing about these ships. If you can avoid enough firing arcs, you MIGHT win due to time. Asteroids are probably the Y-Wings next best friend.

#15 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, somebody posted on another thread about 4 Ywings, and that's what got me to thinking about 5. But without a lot of power-ups, 5 just won't cut it.

#16 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I sort of want to try 5 with ion  cannons vs 100 points of TIES to see how it turns out. Might give some insight into the cost of the ship and the upgrade. If 5 with cannons were to have been scaled at 100 points, would it be somewhat balanced or ruinously overpowered?  It's such a weird ship. The Imperials have two good ships to choose from, and dice advantage in nearly every match up, and it seems the rebels have a good ship and this sort of red headed stepchild. People seem to like Salm, but I think Dutch may be the most useful in a squad even without an ion cannon.

#17 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

Mostly theory (My Y-wings are still in the mail) but I think 4 Gold squadron, two ions, and one rookie X wing pilot might work better in a sort of "set 'em up knock 'em down" strategy. I think at least one X wing is needed to get the firepower you need to really take advantage of the ions.

#18 RUOKBustaWolf

RUOKBustaWolf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Vonpenguin said:

Mostly theory (My Y-wings are still in the mail) but I think 4 Gold squadron, two ions, and one rookie X wing pilot might work better in a sort of "set 'em up knock 'em down" strategy. I think at least one X wing is needed to get the firepower you need to really take advantage of the ions.

sounds good to me, but unfortunately you could only take one ion cannon. the build you listed is 103 =/

I'm not sure only one ion would cut it, but you could use the remaining two points for some R2's or uprade the x-wing to red squadron.

#19 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Personally, if I were going to do anything like this, I would have to go with  a maximum of 4 Y-wings. I was contemplating putting 4 Ion cannons and 2 torpedoes on them. It would give you that extra fire power to take out any good T-swarms big nusances, aka howlrunner and/or  vader, while allowing plenty of movement dictation with the cannons. You would have to do some slick maneuvering to make it so you dont lose any y-wings in the initial barrage, but in the end it could very well have a chance.

#20 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

atmsalad said:

Personally, if I were going to do anything like this, I would have to go with  a maximum of 4 Y-wings. I was contemplating putting 4 Ion cannons and 2 torpedoes on them. It would give you that extra fire power to take out any good T-swarms big nusances, aka howlrunner and/or  vader, while allowing plenty of movement dictation with the cannons. You would have to do some slick maneuvering to make it so you dont lose any y-wings in the initial barrage, but in the end it could very well have a chance.

I'll say it again. 4 R2 Astromech droids. 4 points of these droids is simply more valuable than 4 points of proton torpedoes on a generic Y-wing.  They allow the Y-wing to be more aggressive, even when on the run, which is something the Y-wing will always be when fighting TIEs.  The added unpredictability of the maneuver following a 4S or K-turn also adds value. This droid, when combined with an ion cannon really opens up the map for the Gold Squadron. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS