How to use Guard of the Citadel ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I mean this card is so weak and i dont think anyone would add it to his deck…

#2 ooryl2

ooryl2

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

He makes for good cannon fodder.  Sacrifice him when being attacked instead of using a hero to defend or when a treachery card says to damage a character you control, especially if someone has Horn of Gondor to get extra resources.

We've also had plenty of times where that additional one attack would make the difference between being able to kill an enemy or not.

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

he is poor, but hopefully shuold become more useful with more gondor buff cards after HON comes out

and theres also the theme

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Connor McGinnis

Connor McGinnis

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I agree. It works as one of those "filler" cards in a theme deck when you run out of good ones to use.

Cannon fodder works to, and i've used them as such in many situations.

My advice: Look for event cards matching "cannon fodder" card's keywords. GotC doesn't cost much resource, but if you can pump him up with an event card or two, he becomes cheap AND effective.

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

He's also valuable for his willpower. Many "junk" type allies have 0 willpower, but this guy is slightly more versatile.  It means he can survive up on Caradhras.

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

GrandSpleen said:

He's also valuable for his willpower. Many "junk" type allies have 0 willpower, but this guy is slightly more versatile.  It means he can survive up on Caradhras.

Well, not really since Caradhras as active location gives questers -1WP and stage 3 kills anybody with WP0. Throw in the Snowstorm shadow effect and you can't really rely on him to meat shield on the mountain either. But he is a cheap, multi-use, non-unique Leadership ally, something that sphere still doesn't have that many of in comparison to other spheres.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I was thinking more about quest card 3b.  You would not be questing with this guy, but he can survive up there while many other allies are discarded as soon as you flip to that card. Like you say, not reliable, but not an auto-discard either.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS