Elixir of Life question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Jay

Dr. Jay

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

We played a game last night in which one of the players had the Elixir of Life. He entered into combat and lost, resulting in his stamina dropping to zero. Here is where our question came up.

When you voluntarily choose to take and injury or madness card to prevent losing half of your stuff secondary to unconsciousness/madness, can you choose to take the card, get its benefit (full health/sanity, no loss of items/cash/clues), then play the Elixir card so you don't actually have to take the injury or madness card?

To me, it seems that that card would be used to offset getting an injury or madness card secondary to an encounter or bad roll. It seems kind of gamey to me to be able to voluntarily take an injury/madness card to avoid losing your stuff, get all of its benefits, then say 'oh but I have the Elixir so I don't have to take the card'.

I see the Elixir card applicable to places where you are made to draw and injury or madness card, not where you choose to take it.

Thoughts?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, no probs with that. You can be smashed to zero stamina, choose to be fully recovered and then instead of drawing an Injury, you discard Elixir of Life. Full benefit, no detriment.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Otherwise, I think the Elixir would be too circumstantial to ever see much use.  It'd be different if Madness/Injury encounters were more common, but hanging on to an Elixir "just in case" seems about as practical as always having two toughness worth of monster trophies in anticipation of the day you get that ichor-embossed invitation to join the One of the Thousand Cult 

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Luckily, the Cult accepts blood as payment.

#5 John Bua

John Bua

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I love joining the groups.  I am trying to make it to be a Sliver Lodge, Cult, and Sheldon Gang Deputy myself.

#6 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Tibs said:

Luckily, the Cult accepts blood as payment.

All the more reason to have an Elixir of Life handy, I suppose.

Still, if I have to pay in blood, I prefer to use someone else's. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS