Edge of Darkness [Spoilers inside]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Madok

Madok

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

So, yesterday I ran a second session of a disastrous Edge of Darkness (EoD or Edge from now on) adventure. My party is composed of a Forge World Assassin, Imperial World Scum, Hive World Psyker and a Schola Progenium Arbiter.
Sorry for the wall of text, if you are not in the mood for reading all skip to the end there is the main issue I have right now thanks!

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

The previous session they were briefed and sent off to coscarla division undercover as mercs to investigate on the death of Saul Arbest, I drop the not so slight hint not to trust anyone and to keep a low profile and off they go starting off by going to talk to the sister, not before having some incredible fumbles with some vapour rats they stumbled on (no injuries taken on their side thou, but combat last waaay longer than it should have) back to habstack 7-17 they of course act like douches and she just tells them that he used to drink at the workers house (no mention to his friend or her conversation with the chief of police) but she adds that she will leave because she is scared (they didn't press her further on that).

With those poor results they head to the drinking place and no one is really willing to talk so they order something to drink, only two actually drink the stuff and get tipsy (fatigue point) the other two casually throw the drinks on the ground, the arbiter tries to bribe the bartender with a few coins, the bartender doesn't answer to nicely and the arbiter gets mad and plans on doing nasty stuff to him once the bar closes, they try to get some info off of the patrons but none talks to them, so they head off and the Scum on the way out drops a "bring my best regards to Saul Arbest, b1tc*e$".

Outside the bar the arbiter suggests that they should wait for the bartender and beat the crap out of him (yeah he is a hot head), so they split and divide into two groups and wait at two different ends on the square where the workers house is, hours go by, chem lights go off and its night cycle, of course I do my rolling and after 2 or 3 hours 5 Body Snatchers ambush the Scum and Assassin, in three rounds they manadge to get the Scum unconcious and the Assassin to just a few wounds remaining, so he runs off leaving the Scum fainted behind, (in the manwhile the arbiter and Psyker were running from the other part of the square to aid them, they warned them via vox) so when they get there they find the Scum fainted in a pile of trash with 3 critical wounds to the chest and a fate point burned but the snatchers are gone.

That was the previous section, a nice mess, I ran Shattered Hope with them before this and I gave them 300xp for completing that, so they are all about rank 2, with a hundred thrones burned in poor equipment choices.

The last session begins from them picking up the Scum and heading off to hide in the Arbests hab-stack, the psyker tosses a Healing power on the wounded with poor results ( I warned them that using sorcery and the immaeterum powers to heal their arses is not a thing to do so light hearted ) and 3 of them sleep off while one stays guard, of course they get ambushed again, only two this time, that manadge to get the psyker by surprise and drop him off to 1 wound (actually the scum had a part in that, he shot in the melee combat and gave him 7 damage) the arbiter goes to the rescue and gets dropped off to 5 critical damage to the head, but the assassin gets a couple of shots in and blows a hole in one of the snatchers chest, the last one is dropped after a few rounds of combat.

To recap the situation:
Psyker 1 Wound
Arbiter 5 Critical Damage to the Head
Assassin 4 Wounds
Scum 2 Critical Damage to the Chest

Now only the Scum has the bright idea to examine the corpses and gather a sample (they didn't take pictures thou).

So they barricade the door and try to sleep off, the next morning they look for a doctor, and they find a lousy one that asks 55 thrones to mend off some of their wounds, the arbiter borrows the money from the psyker and then after he gets only 1 critical damage healed, pissed off the pulls an autogun and shoots the doctor dead and carves his corpse with his knife (-.-) he immediately recieved 10 corruption points and a nice demon will get to visit him in his sleep, the other lads got 1 corruption point too (should like a 1d5 be more adequate?) no one (damn rolls) heard the autogun burst so the cops are not coming, so they ransack the doctor's place get a few thrones (their thrones back too) a medikit too and head off to find another doctor.

They get direction to the Alms house, where they were told that should be some kind of…"doctor" but they get turned down at the entrance, there is only a queue for the food handout, so they decide to leave the subsection and come back once healed, althou they find the exits shut and guarded by the enforcer, that suggests they should head to the station to ask for further info, they head there and demand to speak to the chief, the man at the desk is reclutant at first but then the smart ass arbiter says that he has some info about last night's shooting, he gets him self arrested because he acted like a **** and then the rest of the party give up their weapons and wait to get questioned, one by one they leave the room to be patted down and handcuffed and put in a cell.

After a few hours, (night time) Moran comes to question them one by one, firstly they try to avoid saying to much bu a few of them give up the details of their encounter with the snatchers and eventually the Psyker spill the beans and admits to them being Inquisition operatives and so they never leave that place alive again..

It was a bit disappointing because EoD is a great adventure and they had some poor decision and terrible luck with the rolls, they asked if they could play it again but now they know about the "enforcers" not being the real deal (they don't have a clue about the Alms house thou).
I could change the adventure a bit to have the enforcers be just normal lads but the warden still a crooked puppet that tries to help Moran, what do you think? any suggestions? Think its doable? Any hints would be awesome.

Thanks for your time :D

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

From the way you explain it, I wouldn't trust your players to effectively rollplay this scenario again, pretending that they don't know what was discovered in the previous attempt. My advice: create a new scenario, with the new characters investigating the disappearence the previous team, and make adjustments accordingly. For instance, your players will certainly make a b-line for the Precinct, so have that be abandoned (the fake Enforcers think the Inquisition is coming and have gone into hiding) when they arrive.

#3 Madok

Madok

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, thats a nice idea, but the players wanted to keep their characters, at least 3 of them did, so I was ok with having a little rewind and giving them back their wounds and the scum burned fate points (still a little doubt on that) but I say they keep the corruption points gained, have to see that through.

You think I should have them reroll new characters or I should allow them to keep the ones they have?

The Scum is really fond of his character, because he ended up rolling a look-alike to Wesley Snipes in the Demolition Man film :D

#4 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Madok said:

Yeah, thats a nice idea, but the players wanted to keep their characters, at least 3 of them did, so I was ok with having a little rewind and giving them back their wounds and the scum burned fate points (still a little doubt on that) but I say they keep the corruption points gained, have to see that through.

You think I should have them reroll new characters or I should allow them to keep the ones they have?

The Scum is really fond of his character, because he ended up rolling a look-alike to Wesley Snipes in the Demolition Man film :D

It's your game, and there are no rules stating that you have to kill off those characters.  You can rewind it, or can have them create new characters, or……. you can just continue the campaign they are on.    Who is to so say they are not dead at all, but were put unconscious and then dragged over the the Alms House.  They can wake up here, find the truth, and then try to excape.  Or maybe the Inquisition had them followed and watched incase they messed up, and have sent a small strike force or maybe another Inquisitor cell in order to retrieve them and assist them in the mission.  It could be one person, a two man team, all the way up to a squad of Kill Troopers.  A heck, maybe one of them is a medic.    Or, you can just rewind it, but I would think this would take the fun from the game.  You don't always have to kill the PC's just because they thought they were doing to right thing by surrendering to the "police."  I mean, heck, as a GM I would of played this part out in full force.  Obviously if I thought they needed help, I would give them a little help, whether that is the calvary showing up or just a twist of luck.  The only way I kill my PC's off is if they purposely commit a suicidal/insanely ignorant act that they were warned about.  They have FP's for a reason. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#5 Madok

Madok

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Awesome, great ideas, ok, Ill discuss things with my players and we will decide what we will do.

#6 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Well, that sounds sort of similar to what my PCs did all these years ago (we also started with EoD after the introductory Shattered Hopes). My players wanted to leave the district via mono rail to inform Interrogator Sand about the situation, but when they reached the mid of the queue on the rail station, they realized the citizens, who were on their daily trip to the manufactorum via mono rail, were checked for their ID by the Enforcers. My players panicked and a shootout erupted between them and the Enforcer. To cut a long story short, most of the PCs fled via a leaving train, while one player slipped away unnoticed and another (the group's Psyker) was caught alive by the Enforcers.

This resulted in the Logicians beginning their exit-strategy, though not without interrogating the Psyker thoroughly first at the Enforcer station and later in the Alms House. I let him burn a Fate Point and survive to escape the then burning Alms House (started by the departing Logicians to destroy evidence).

Finally, I used the Gateway 17 scenario from Dark Reign as a sequel to EoD and put the interior of the Alms House (i.e. the Churgeon etc.) in one of the warehouses there to have some sort of EoD/Gateway 17 mixture. As mentioned EoD is too worthy to leave out most of it because players botch it…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS