Kenner Blockade Runner - re-paint

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Picked up this Blockade runner for about 30 quid off ebay. Not a bad scale for X-wing and after slapping a little warpaint on it looks quite nice too! I created an experimental base which shows the basic sections of the ship. I figure to keep things simple if you can poke the area with your little range stick then you can choose to target that area and our little group can work on various effects that effect the ship when it takes damage in those areas. Would appreciate anyone who has used the Corvette in games already to shoot me some ideas on shield values etc. Don't want it to be too overpowering. I believe the standard config is 4 x turbo lasers and 2 x dual turbo laser turrets?

Oh…it has lights an sound too!

• Mikael Hasselstein, bsmith13, Cilionelle and 11 others like this

#2 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Btw, the top picture is the out of the box look, nice but a little too clean for the Star Wars universe I felt

#3 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Holy crap! Nice job on the re-paint. And I like where you're headed with the base. Any idea for a movement mechanic for that beast?

#4 odinfellhammer

odinfellhammer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Looks Great! I may need to find one of them.

#5 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hi Geekzap, was thinking slow n ponderous to make the faster agile fighters worth their salt. I would imagine most scenarios involving it would either be Corvetter disabled - protect for x turns until help arrives or it travels from one end of the table to the next while the crew pedal hard enough to get it up to jump speed. the Empire trying to stop it of course

planning on getting one of the old 15 inch long deathstar models too, of course stupidly down scaled but should be nice as a focus for scenarios and down-scaled ship to ship battles while the fighters weave in and out doing their stuff :)

If I ever get the time I do have plans to build a table based on the rear half of a properly scaled star destroyer, I think the bridge, engines, shield generators etc would make for some great objective play and I reckon I can probably build it in such a way as to be able to actually play on the ship itself and step up the superstructures for the ships to sit on. Important thing with this bigger project is to design it to all fold away as storage space is limited in my humble man cave!

#6 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Someone out there has made a down-scaled star destroyer out of cardboard…

I'm in the process of typing up a rules set myself to cover large ships and space platforms (XQ series from TIE Fighter and onward), and how they would work in game. Speed for capital ships has two modes, defined at the beginning of the scenario. Either they move slow (1 template), or fast (1 distance on the range ruler). They can pivot as well, but they aren't going anywhere really fast.

In terms of combat all ships have subsystems (Turrets, radar dishes, concussion missile launchers) that, when all of them are destroyed, destroys the large ship in particular. I think it's an easy and elegant system even if it does raise questions like "but the engine block is in range of my fighters, why can't I shoot the ship?".

Anyway the corvette looks great and kudos to getting it mounted! Looking forward to the scenario reports on how yours is running in your games.

#7 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

The repaint is awesome… Stand is great!

If I were to try any of that, it would look like a kindergarden finger paint project mounted to a scrap 2x4 with duct tape and gorilla glue.

kudos

#8 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Good job.  This looks very nice.

#9 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Awesome job on this :)  Quality paint job, looks so much better than the out of the box ship.  And, where did you have that base made?  That is just icing on (or under?) the cake !!!

I had come up with a mission (that still needs some refinement) which includes cards for the various components, as well as overall stats for the ship.

While the ship looks tough, we are still seeing the Imperials take it out by turn 7 more often than not.

http://boardgamegeek...on-the-redeemer

#10 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Awesome……isn't it great when you can repurpose an old toy…..fantastic job detailing it

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#11 Stone

Stone

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

The repaint looks fantastic.  I have the Blockade Runner as well and have considered doing the same.  How did you make the base?

I have been using a scenario from over at Board Game Geek for the Blockade Runner:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/860628/custom-mission-the-redeemer

#12 TK1625

TK1625

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

Did you use an action fleet blockade runner?

#13 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hats off to you. That paint job is superb!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#14 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

TK1625 said:

Did you use an action fleet blockade runner?

I believe it is a Kenner Toys Product…produced in 1996 for thier 4" figure collectors series…. i think the whole front opens up to put in the figures

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#15 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

It is actually the Collector Fleet model, and does not open up - it is not the Action fleet or Titanium.

#16 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

Justinkase hit the nail on the head, yes it's a Kenner collector fleet with lights and sound! Have a star destroyer incoming too which I will base and repaint too, ok, it's way off scale but I plan on using them in scenarios with the runner and they should make games more fun and who's to say its not a never before seen minimi version of its big brother ;)

the base btw is made from some old clear acrylic I had left after building some shelving, you can buy it from most DIY stores. The clear upright and resin centre block are spares from some Forge world commissions I painted, they are parts of a large decorate base I believe, wouldn't be too hard to scratch up though to be honest, I probably will have to as I plan on maybe two minimi destroyers and another runner converted into he sundered heart style corvette

#17 Tellos

Tellos

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

That was defiantly worth the re paint bulldog,looks awsome.

Would love to play a game with that corvette involved

#18 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Can you provide a detail of how the base was made?

it woud be appreciated.

Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#19 joewrightgm

joewrightgm

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Slow, stunned golf clap . . . 

I used to own one of those, and the original paint scheme was pretty vanilla; this paint job is over the top awesome.

#20 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

is this the STAR WARS ELECTRONIC REBEL BLOCKADE RUNNER 1996 SHIP ?

I see 1 or 2 on ebay now and thinking about getting one

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS