Effect of the 12 turn counter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

So I checked out some of the demos played and since they were just that, demos…I couldn't get a grasp of some of the questions I have.

The game looks really fun, I love some of the concepts, and I'm a big star wars fan. My question is this for anyone who may have a better grasp of the game currently or more info, how balanced is this game in terms of the empire player getting the 12 turn counter. Can this game not be played between say a Jedi deck and a rebel or smuggler deck? It just seems odd that the goal for both teams is the same, to destroy the opposing objective cards..but one player has to accomplish that before the other. Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying the game out upon it's release.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

From what we have heard the Light side should have ways to dial back the counter possibly. Hard to say for sure until we see the rules in full.

The game is played Dark side vs Light side so you could not have smugglers vs Jedi.

#3 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I see. I guess the counter is just the one idea I don't like so far…at least until it's explained more thoroughly. It's imo giving the darkside two ways to win, while the lightside only has one way to win. Even if the lightside has ways to turn it back….turning it back doesn't make them win. Just puts off the other player winning. So unless their deck is that much better than the darkside it doesn't seem balanced.

#4 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

You know the dark side doesn't win by destroying three objectives, right? They have one way to win (out side of possible card win conditions), and that is to get the death star counter all the way up. Destroying Light Side objectives speeds the death star counter up but it doesn't guarantee a win. 

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#5 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Oh okay. Like I said I'm not too familiar with everything about the game. That makes more sense. Curious to see how it works out in a larger sample size.

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

SuperSoldier said:

I see. I guess the counter is just the one idea I don't like so far…at least until it's explained more thoroughly. It's imo giving the darkside two ways to win, while the lightside only has one way to win. Even if the lightside has ways to turn it back….turning it back doesn't make them win. Just puts off the other player winning. So unless their deck is that much better than the darkside it doesn't seem balanced.

SuperSoldier said:

As shown in the latest preview article, you can win, as the Light Side, by literally blowing up the Death Star dial.  It's not a "built in" victory condition, and is entirely dependant on the Light Side player being able to play "Trench Run", but it's another avenue to victory.  Likewise, there's the "Heart of the Empire" objective card for the Empire that lets the Light Side win the game if they are able to defeat the objective.

So yes, you could turn it back, which stalls for time while you attack the Dark Side Objectives, but you can also win through other card effects, as stated above.

#7 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

It's the little details like these that make this game more and more compelling to me. It's a lot more subtly detailed than at first glance.

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS