Photo

Interest in Competitive Cash Tournaments?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I like the idea of this game, but I'm a competitive card game player, and while it's cheaper than Magic, I really need something to win.

I own a once popular website for a now debunked card game that I'm thinking about reviving for this game. I'm really only interested in starting this up if people we're interested in a player created cash tournament series, similar to that of TCGPlayer.com and Starcitygames.com for Magic the gathering, and if the game play/deck building are there to support it. 

Entry for the tournaments would be about $20-25 - Prizes would dependent on how many people show up and/or if I get sponsors for the events. 

Anyone interested?

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#2 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Definitely not. I play/have played a lot of CCGs/LCGs competitively and I wouldn't go anywhere near anything offering cash prizes. It brings out the worst in the players involved and that filters down into the rest of the tournament scene, even those events that don't offer any kind of prizes.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Never in a million years. Cash prize tournaments ruins games.

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I dislike this idea as well. Giving prizes a direct monetary value will, obviously, attract the types of players who are interested in them. While this is not bad in and of itself, many such players are concerned only with winning, the pleasure of playing being secondary or even irrelevant to their purpose in participating in the event. Such players will tend to build whatever seems to be dominating the environment, rather than something new that is both fun and interesting. On the other hand, if the prizes awarded are aesthetic in nature (such as tokens, alternate art cards, etc.), or there is no prize at all, then the focus is purely on the competition itself, and there is no particular incentive to play decks that lack innovation, or simply aren't fun for opponents to play against.

This is why I will always only play Magic in the casual sphere. My goal is to have fun, and if I can only have fun if I'm winning, I probably shouldn't be playing the game, lest I run the risk of no-fun nights in which I don't win at all.

#5 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

MarthWMaster said:

I dislike this idea as well. Giving prizes a direct monetary value will, obviously, attract the types of players who are interested in them. While this is not bad in and of itself, many such players are concerned only with winning, the pleasure of playing being secondary or even irrelevant to their purpose in participating in the event. Such players will tend to build whatever seems to be dominating the environment, rather than something new that is both fun and interesting. On the other hand, if the prizes awarded are aesthetic in nature (such as tokens, alternate art cards, etc.), or there is no prize at all, then the focus is purely on the competition itself, and there is no particular incentive to play decks that lack innovation, or simply aren't fun for opponents to play against.

This is why I will always only play Magic in the casual sphere. My goal is to have fun, and if I can only have fun if I'm winning, I probably shouldn't be playing the game, lest I run the risk of no-fun nights in which I don't win at all.

From my experiences with AGoT, prize or no prize, certain players will net-deck or play decks prone to NPE while others just won't.  I've never seen a  strict direct causation in any of the many games I play.  Some people just like competition, and part of that is bringing what they think gives them the best shot at winning. 

Cash prizes, however, do demand a more formal system of judges then FFG tends to keep around.  I don't think the game will support that type of tournament

#6 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

I would like a competitive scene for this game.

I hate magic and I miss VS

People worry about Net Decking and skum but the good thing about that is that it drives a metagame and get alot of decks and more people envolved and more play then just my buddies at the kitchen table that gets old quick.

I want a game that is around with lots of players not a niche game like Invasion

I would be happy to help organize these in my area if we can get enough players.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Jvirtue55 said:

I would like a competitive scene for this game.

No one has said no to a competitive scene, it is the cash tournaments we are saying no to as per the OP. It is also very unlikely as currently the FFG organized play program is fairly informal for the most part.

#8 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thats what I mean im tired of informal organized play that doesnt bring in new players or drive a metagame or a local scene. Prize Support does it doesnt need to be money look at Yugio

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

There is prize support, all of the LCG's have Game Night kits. Buy them and use them to get stuff going when the Star Wars kit is released. That is what I am doing with the kits. They are similar to what you get from World of Warcraft card game. If needed to you can even charge a small fee and you can recover your cost on the kits easily enough.

#10 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well the invasion ones I read about were a joke to bring new people into the game

Tournaments should do a couple things in my thoughts

1. Increase the amount of people playing
  2. Increase the visability of the game
  3. Drive the Metagame and create new decks and stategies
  4. Be fun and Competitive and enjoyable by both causal and competive players

And the OP support for the other games I have seen from FFG wont do much of this, you can see with the small turn out to some of the bigger US Invasion events

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

LCG's are not the cash cows other traditional TCG's are so it would be very hard for FFG to fund those types of events. However players can easily get things going. Invasion has never been as big a hit as some of the others.

#12 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I think this game could be a little differnt because its Star Wars and people will pay and alot of people will purchase the product.

If they can get exclusive star wars stuff more people will play because it will have value on ebay

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS