Short on Dice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alanshotfirst

alanshotfirst

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

In instances when you are playing a game and it calls for you to roll 4 dice (3 attack and within range one), BUT you only have 3 attack dice in your set, how do you proceed?

You guys (and gals - as the case may be) have played far more than just the 3 games I have played so I was curious about how you would best suggest resolving this situation.

I'm not a fan of the app. I prefer a more meta experience with actual dice.  Call me old fashioned if you will.

- Alan

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Per the rules, you remember what one of your rolls was and reroll that dice to get to 4 total. I tend to do that with a hit or evade result personally, but it doesn't really matter.

#3 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

buy another starter set is soo much easier…. but if you dont, the option above is what the offical rules says to do

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Torresse said:

buy another starter set is soo much easier…. but if you dont, the option above is what the offical rules says to do

Very true. Also the dice pack if cost is an issue.

#5 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

or mark one of the blank sides of the evade dice, then you can now use it as either an attack dice or evade dice. evade = hit, focus = focus, blank = blank, marked face = crit

#6 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

The lack of dice is a rather mean-spirited marketing ploy by FFG and almost forces you to fork out more money on dice to save you messing about borrowing other players dice.  If any game uses dice then the right amount should be supplied.

#7 alanshotfirst

alanshotfirst

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Major Mishap said:

The lack of dice is a rather mean-spirited marketing ploy by FFG and almost forces you to fork out more money on dice to save you messing about borrowing other players dice.  If any game uses dice then the right amount should be supplied.

At 36 years young I am new to tabletop gaming. I am loving my experience, but it does seem odd why they wouldn't add just one more of each dice since the need for 4 dice does come up several times per game.  Not sure I feel it is "mean-spirited", but it is sure a tad bit challenging. Obviously I can wrap my brain around rolling another dice twice, it would just be nice to have the 4th attack/defense dice.

- Alan

#8 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I feel like this sort of thing isn't un-common in expandable games. They give you everything that is essential to play and sell more stuff that makes it "easier" to play. I pretty much expect it when going into a new game. I just grabbed one of the dice expansions. Problem solved.

#9 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I think it's the only thing that's chintzy about the core set, having only 3 dice.

That being said….I just bought my third core set today. Playing with a full set of 4 of each dice per side is a lot better than trading off dice every game. And I don't know that I need to have 12 dice…. :)

Be seeing you.

#10 Devlan

Devlan

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

I've gotten the dice pack since my last game, but when it came up that we needed to roll four dice before that we'd just reroll one of the results that wasn't successful, since usually a blank side comes up.  Sometimes it gets tricky, but you should be able to remember what die you rolled long enough to roll it again.  That said, the dice pack isn't exactly a wallet-buster if you're going to invest in the game.

#11 SRG7593

SRG7593

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hi all, I just got the game today and a spare set of dice. Will that be enough or should I have popped for 2 dice packs??

I agree with others that Core sets come with minimalist but enough. If you ever play Arkham Horror there are times you regularly need 2 extra sets of dice and I have played sessions that the player was rolling 9-12 dice every battle.

#12 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

If you read through any of the recurring threads on this topic you will see that the consensus advice will be to buy 0 dice packs, but rather buy one or two extra core sets, if you plan on playing the game with many ships and not sticking to the basic set.

I have 3 core sets, so 9 of each color dice. That means a full set of 4 red and 4 green for each side, with one spare left over. That's the true sweet spot as far as I'm concerned.

Be seeing you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS