Storm of Chaos Timeline

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

Storm of Chaos (SoC). Warhammer world shattering event, Archaon as Everchosen, THE Chaos Incursion ever… or not……….

Many fans hated SoC, probably equal amount were neutral (didn't like it, but it is part of fluff), and MAYBE there even were few who did like it. But some even liked to erase the entire event. Either way - It is still part of the Warhammer timeline, and this topic is not to evaluate if the event was badly done or not.

Years ago - when WFRP2 came out I started to build more detailed SoC timeline (because none was really given ever), but never did finnish that one. Now, with WFRP3 timeline set just prior the SoC, and new The Enemy Within -campaing coming (who knows if it has connections to the SoC. Some main protagonists were already presented in the Hero's Call…) I had new inspiration to gather the timeline together again. And here it is! To be used as background info for any campaing set in the Storm of Chaos timeline.

You find the Storm of Chaos Timeline pdf document from my site's Rule Expansions. Link here: Kalevala Hammer

enjoy

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Great work Jackdays.  This will help GMs plan their campaigns.

In regards to Storm of Chaos, I chalk the dislike up to pure immobility of GMs   ;) (No offense to you immobile GMs out there ;) 

In nearly the same circumstance, when Carl Sargent was hired away from WFRP to write for TSR, he did up FROM THE ASHES for the World of Greyhawk.  Oh, there was much complaining.  The world became too dark for the princess, unicorn, and WIN-BUTTON players out there and it all happened too fast (I think that "war" was 2-3 years as well).  Too many of the complainers however felt they, and they alone, OWNED the world and that anyone who would step up and update it was somehow peeing on their fire hydrant (ARF!).  As far as I was concerned, I was simply thrilled to get new campaign material for an otherwise dead game world, and Carl has always been one of my favorite authors.  Now, if the same situation was the case for Warhammer, then I chalk it up to the tendency for GMs and fanboys (I mean this in a good way), to desire only what they want for the campaign because they fear change, and anything produced will never be good enough to compare to "the good ol' days when we used to play on the schoolbus."  Good heavens, if we only had recordings of those days…

In comparison, what happens when you don't expand the future history of a world, we need only look at what George Lucas did to star wars, to see what happens when the fanboys run the show and a new braintrust is not instituted.  Not only did he not update canon, they degenerated it (IMHO), and George was the ultimate GM not wanting his world updated..and it went south.  Disney bought it up now, and you will get "whatever you get from Disney." People will be mad, and crazy, and there will be insults on the internet.  Does this relate to where wfrp currently is on it's timeline?  Vaguely :)

My entire post is purely pulled from my behind, so feel free to tear it apart with abandon ;)

jh

#3 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Emirikol said:

In regards to Storm of Chaos, I chalk the dislike up to pure immobility of GMs   ;) (No offense to you immobile GMs out there ;) 

My entire post is purely pulled from my behind, so feel free to tear it apart with abandon ;)

jh

What you posted, Emirikol, was well said - Didn't even cause any firestorm (as SoC posts have caused few times in the past)

I just hope the timeline-project gives some inspiration to GMs running campaings during the event. I think SoC gives good possibilities for various campaigns. And who knows - Maybe the coming "The Enemy Within" could be connected somehow to the event (don't know). Either way - WFRP3 timeline, which is set before the SoC, is closing the war fast. So, if you campaing timelines get there, then there is little more to use (even the war would be something that just happens in the background).

By the way - Info for the timeline is gathered from large number of sources. But I do know there are even more info, which I haven't read or even know. So, if anybody have any ideas, please post them. For example - I havent had time to read Ambassadore novels and I think those happen sometime during the SoC…

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS