• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hello!

I am quite new playing the game and I am enjoying it a lot, I had a lot of questions answered from this forum. Thanks for the posts :-)

I have a minor question regarding monster special abilities when they move? Which one resolves first? I could not find any post.

I had an issue last day playing with my friends. 

There is a "Hound of Tindalos" on the Witch house and a "Colour out of Space" on the Graveyard. A mythos card shows square movement, then both move.  There is only one investigator(Joe Diamond)  in Arkham (in Independence square) with one sanity left.  The other investigators are in other worlds. I roll a die for the Colour out of space and it is a 5. Then Joe loses one sanity.

If the Colour resolves first, then Joe Diamond is driven insane and ends at the Asylum and Hound of Tindalos does not move. If it is the other way around the Hound moves to Independence square and Joe ends anyway at the asylum.

We finally  decided that the monster with the highest awareness(lowest number)  move first. Then it was the Hound. Is that correct? I don't like to cheat. The outcome may had been different since Carolyn Fern was returning back to arkham on the next turn  to the Witch House, where the Hound was.

Thanks for the help.

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#2 Thomas Cartwright

Thomas Cartwright

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

I believe that in this kind of situation, where game events occur simultaneously, the players get to decide what happens first. If they can't reach a consensus, then the current starting player decides. So you get to decide whether the Hound or the Color moves first, depending on which (if either) is to your advantage.

#3 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

That is also the way that I would interpret your situation there as well.  Most of the time we will either use a D6 to solve the situation or have the first player decide.  Obviously, drawing the hound away from the gate Carolyn is exiting the next turn is a great idea and that would be what any player would decide.  However, if you D6 it there is a chance that you won't be so 'lucky'.  I don't think it's super important the way that you choose to resolve those issues.  I think it's just important to be consistent in your decision making.

#4 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought I might have skipped a rule I did not know. If anything similar happens again, It makes sense to determine the outcome using a D6

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#5 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

eagermind said:

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought I might have skipped a rule I did not know. If anything similar happens again, It makes sense to determine the outcome using a D6

Actually the rule is as Thomas Cartwright said above. In situations like this, where multiple things happen at the same time, the first player decides. But feel free to house rule as you wish.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS