ION Cannon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 skyrmio

skyrmio

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Just aquired the game and its been great fun playing it. I have a question about the ION cannon though, I maybe wrong but in the movies did the ION cannon also have an affect on the enemy ships shield too and if so, should the game reflect this and maybe temporarily reduce a ships shields by one for the remainder of that turn (Obviously only if a succesful hit is recorded!), with multiple ION cannon hits on the same target having a cumalitive affect in knocking down shields but not in length of time knocked down. This may also be handy for when the bigger ships come into play and the possibility of introducing weapons platform ION cannons or planet based ones with a larger affect! Whats your thoughts????????

#2 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

skyrmio said:

Just aquired the game and its been great fun playing it. I have a question about the ION cannon though, I maybe wrong but in the movies did the ION cannon also have an affect on the enemy ships shield too and if so, should the game reflect this and maybe temporarily reduce a ships shields by one for the remainder of that turn (Obviously only if a succesful hit is recorded!), with multiple ION cannon hits on the same target having a cumalitive affect in knocking down shields but not in length of time knocked down. This may also be handy for when the bigger ships come into play and the possibility of introducing weapons platform ION cannons or planet based ones with a larger affect! Whats your thoughts????????

The Ion Cannon already does damage to a ship's shields.

#3 skyrmio

skyrmio

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Ok, thanks but where is that rule? And what sort of damage?

#4 skyrmio

skyrmio

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

Apologies, got my head round it now probably a stupid question! Was just trying to think of a way it could be more of a tactical weapon, for instance if hit by a ION cannon, not only does it set a ship a drift but knocked out its shields (i.e depending on how many hits, 1 hit per shield) instead of doing damage, leaving ship almost defencless for other fighters to attack within same turn.

#5 HooblaDGN

HooblaDGN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Another question about ION:

Does the defending player roll to evade? The text says if you hit do one damage and give ion effect, then "discard all die results." We were uncertain if this meant that the ION just has to roll a single hit and evades were ignored, or if that "discard die results" was just clarifying that ION only does one damage. Thanks for any help!

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

The defending player still rolls to evade.  After that, if there is at least one uncanceled "hit" die, then all results are canceled, one damage is done to the defending ship, and the defending ship receives an ion token.  Note that the one damage done does not bypass shields (if there are any shield tokens, the damage results in removing one of them, not dealing a damage card).

#7 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

so to be clear on things , Lets say that the Y-wing attacks a TIE-advanced with its Ion cannons and the TIE has shields. I understand that a shield token would then be lost on the TIE-Advanced for taking one point of damage from the Ion cannon, My question is would the TIE advanced still suffer the effects of the ion cannon or do the shields on the TIE- Advanced negate the one point of damage as well as the effects of the Ion cannon?

Thanks in advance

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Grave13 said:

so to be clear on things , Lets say that the Y-wing attacks a TIE-advanced with its Ion cannons and the TIE has shields. I understand that a shield token would then be lost on the TIE-Advanced for taking one point of damage from the Ion cannon, My question is would the TIE advanced still suffer the effects of the ion cannon or do the shields on the TIE- Advanced negate the one point of damage as well as the effects of the Ion cannon?

Thanks in advance

The effects of the ion cannon still happen (ie that TIE-ad receives an ion token).

Minor correction to your phrasing (for clarity's sake): the shields do not negate the damage from the ion cannon.  The ion cannon deals one damage to the TIE-ad which results in the loss of one shield token.  If the TIE had no shield tokens, it would instead result in dealing one (face down) damage card.

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

The most tactical use for an ion cannon is to replace it and the Y-Wing it is attached to with an X-Wing. 

#10 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

qwertyuiop said:

The most tactical use for an ion cannon is to replace it and the Y-Wing it is attached to with an X-Wing. 

Hmm. So is this comment from one who plays mostly Rebels, or an Imperial player that is unperturbed by this weapon? I, personally, find ion cannons to be quite effective, especially when you consider that a Y-wing's primary weapon only allows for 2 attack dice. I probably just haven't played against enough Y-wings to exploit their weaknesses. In fact, now that I think about it, in all my games I have destroyed a Y-wing just once. That's it.

But before you comment that I probably need to learn how to fly a TIE fighter, I'd like to point out that several of those games had the 90 minute limit in place, so they simply survived long enough to avoid my wrath. Still, I'd say this clearly indicates their utility as tanks.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#11 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

you need to learn how to fly TIEs

Jokes aside, Ywings can't do much against a TIE poking at it from range 3, and at range 1 it will get sexually violated by pretty much anything with just that 1 agility value, although in exchange the offending TIE is now definitely within range of your ion cannons, which unfortunately only deals one damage. Basically, for the Ywing to be as tanky as it should be and still remain combat effective, it needs to stay within range 2 of your enemies, and really try to prevent people from getting within range 1. If they DO get within range 1, you'd want them to be within your firing arc so you can pummel them with your main cannons and hopefully get in a lucky 2-3 dmg shot.

The Ywing's main advantage is that it can shoot anything within range 2 of it, can mess up your opponent's movement plans, renders TIE's barrel roll useless except under specific circumstances, a lot of health to play with asteroids without worry, doesnt really need action (except target locks) so you do not really need to worry too much about having a stress token stuck on for too long. The main disadvantage is that it cannot tank hits at range 1 despite its hp, inability to deal more than 1 point of damage generally, and it is very very ticklish: with 5 hp and that 1 evade dice, you will start to see critical hits stacking up on it, giving your Ywing a lot of funny funny effects in one go, so while it can tank hits, those hits are going to be irritating. At least for a Xwing or even the upcoming Awing, they do not have enough hp to have more than 2 crit effects going on concurrently.

#12 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Duraham said:

The Ywing's main advantage is that it can shoot anything within range 2 of it, can mess up your opponent's movement plans, renders TIE's barrel roll useless except under specific circumstances, a lot of health to play with asteroids without worry,

I agree with your overall evaluation -- but why do people keep worrying about crashing into asteroids? It hardly comes up in my games, but that could just be my conservative piloting style.

I'm really looking forward to hearing some reports from the upcoming world championships. I wager that the winner will have a Y-wing on his squad.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#13 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

The winner will be an Imperial player, and I'm not just saying that because I am an Imperial player.

My TIE piloting could be better, but it's enough for me not to be too scared of a Y-wing…..in a 3 ship rebel build. A 4 ship build, maybe.  I'm planning to use the rebels more, namely Dutch in tandem with Garven and two generic X-wings. I think the ion cannon is currently more effective against rebel squads. That evade action on the TIES is huge.

#14 skyrmio

skyrmio

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I recently played a 130pt battle with 2 y- wings supporting 3 x-wings from behind with in range 1! Although I eventually lost the battle the y-wings worked very well. I basically used the x-wings as a fighter screen for them, with Biggs in the middle of it all with r2! The x-wings engaged ties trying to swarm a single fighter, the y- wings (with dutch handing out free target locks) destroyed Vader early doors with multiple hits off by y-wings with proton torpedoes along with a good crit card (a bit of luck) and then used their ion cannons to to disrupt the ties movement! Having read other posts I could have used the ion cannons better! Which I will try next time! I really liked this strategy and with better movement with my x-wings too I would have won! Has anyone else tried something similar?

#15 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

We played yesterday and I faced 3 Y-wings!  I had Vader and 4 Black pilots vs Dutch and two Gold pilots.  Imperials won but I lost Vader and two other TIEs were 1 hit away from destruction.

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS