Photo

Ten Sets limited, or an optional number. Which is better in your opinion?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hello Guys.

When I read this article;

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=175&esem=1

I saw that they referred to "ten or more objective sets"

"Each player chooses an affiliation card and a stack of ten or more objective sets. Each objective set includes six cards: one objective and five corresponding cards that go into a player’s command deck. The compositions of players’ command decks are automatically determined by the objective sets they choose. This brand new model makes deck-building more accessible to new players, as they have only to select ten objective sets and combine them rather than assemble an entire deck, individual card by individual card."

In the recent article building preview it sort of sounds like they mean ten objective sets, period. 

Both offers interesting challenges, the ten objectives limitation forces careful priorities while the unlimited objective alternative means careful balancing between quality and quantity.

Which of these options do you like the most?

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Might want to read again, in the newest article it says: 

"In Star Wars, instead of selecting each card individually, players build their decks by choosing ten or more objective sets and dividing them into objective and command decks."

#3 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Personally I wish they had just put a 10 limit on it. But since you can lose by decking out I suppose there is some advantage to including more than 10.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#4 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Oooops. Dangit 

Oh well… um, in my defense, it was pretty late :P.

Seeing as you seem to be playing a lot of cards every turn in this game, what with edge battles, extra draws and so on, I'd say it's probably a good thing we can have more than ten objectives. The game does go on for a maximum of twelve turns, and five plus cards spent per turn doesnt seem to be impossible :)

#5 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

One thing I'm still wondering about: Will it be possible to build a deck made of 5 objectives, 2 copies of each., or will it have to be at least 10 unique objectives + optional copies. I would like the second option more.

#6 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Some objectives will be unique (i.e. one per deck) while others won't.

#7 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

ChaosChild said:

I understand that. What I would like to know is if it wil be possible to creat a deck with only 5 different objectives, 2 copies of each, or will I have to use at least 10 different objectives with optional copies.

#8 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Fbaranow said:

ChaosChild said:

I understand that. What I would like to know is if it wil be possible to creat a deck with only 5 different objectives, 2 copies of each, or will I have to use at least 10 different objectives with optional copies.

Our collective understanding is the following;

1)Minimum of 10 Objectives per deck

2)Objectives can be taken twice

3)Some Objectives have a "limit 1 per deck" restriction

So as far as we know, yes, you can run 2x5 Objectives in your deck.  Since we have no official rulebook or access to the entire card spoilers of the Core Set, who knows how this will all play out in practice on release day, so take the above with a grain of salt.

#9 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

I'm curious about how multiple copies of an Objective work in Set-Up, or whatever this game will call that phase. As I recall, you shuffle your Objective deck, draw five Objectives, and choose three to start with. Can you pick the same Objective twice, or are they unique? I'd imagine one copy in play, particularly as the rules currently guarantee that you'll always draw at least three different Objectives in that opening five.

#10 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

alpha5099 said:

I'm curious about how multiple copies of an Objective work in Set-Up, or whatever this game will call that phase. As I recall, you shuffle your Objective deck, draw five Objectives, and choose three to start with. Can you pick the same Objective twice, or are they unique? I'd imagine one copy in play, particularly as the rules currently guarantee that you'll always draw at least three different Objectives in that opening five.

I doubt that 2 copies of the same objective could be in play. What I wonder is how many copies of one card will be possible in one deck, given that one card can probably be a part of several objective sets.

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Fbaranow said:

alpha5099 said:

I doubt that 2 copies of the same objective could be in play. What I wonder is how many copies of one card will be possible in one deck, given that one card can probably be a part of several objective sets.

My understanding is that there is no limit like that in this game. You could have ten or more of Darth Vader if you wanted to, and had the right objectives to support it (in this case, there would need to be at least five different, non-unique objectives that contained at least one copy of Darth Vader).

#12 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

Well there's a preview tournament at the FFG World Championships this weekend, so hopefully we get a full rulebook sometime soon and a lot of our questions will get answered.

#13 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Some nice video reports from that event would certainly be awesome! :D

#14 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

minimum deck size tends to be the way to go, but with this game, who can be sure? A larger deck with a lot of card draw might be great for the rebels…assuming they can beat out the death star dial.

#15 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Fbaranow said:

From what I gathered, once you have one of your Objectives defeated by your opponent, you draw the next one off your Objective deck and place it with the remaining ones.  So in theory, could you not have 2 copies of the same Objective in play in that case?  It seems clumsy to force a redraw if you already had one out on the table, especially when you consider an Objective deck that might be built as 2 copies of 5 different cards.

I think that's why the "limit 1 per deck" restriction exists on some cards and not others.  If you're trying to imagine what the abstract representation of having 2 copies of the same Objective out on the table, let's say 2 copies of "Mobilize the Squadrons", then imagine that those squadrons are really mobilized.

Strategically, that would provide some nice resource generation for the Rebel player in that game, as you could pull 2 a turn off each card, then completely refresh them the following Refresh phase.  As the Dark Side opponent, I might look at that and make it my business to shut down one of those Objectives pronto to put a hurting on the Rebel player's cash flow.

Then, you have your third Objective, which might also be of some specific value, but gets an indirect "shield" from Dark Side attacks, because they want to try and stop your resource generation deal over on Mobilize the Squadrons.

This is all speculation, based on the limited information we have, naturally, but I can't see them not letting you have both copies out at once, as a rule, unless a specific Objective prevented this in its text, similar to the "limit 1 per deck" text we have seen before.

#16 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

MarthWMaster said:

Fbaranow said:

alpha5099 said:

My understanding is that there is no limit like that in this game. You could have ten or more of Darth Vader if you wanted to, and had the right objectives to support it (in this case, there would need to be at least five different, non-unique objectives that contained at least one copy of Darth Vader).

That makes sense, and I imagine sometime down the line the cardpool might have enough cards to support a Vader-only deck, though whether such a deck would make any sense to play is another matter. FFG seems to love new versions of existing major characters in their LCGs; AGOT has a ton of them, virtually every major character from the series has at least a couple versions printed, with a couple characters even having up to five different iterations (I believe Robert Baratheon and Joffrey hold that distinction), and it's happening a fair amount so far in LOTR with multiple versions of Aragorn, Gandalf, Bilbo, and a couple others. I would be shocked if we didn't see multiple Vaders and Yodas and Lukes over the course of the game.

In fact, I'm feeling like I may have even heard that there might be two Lukes in the core set, a Rebel Alliance Luke and the Jedi Luke we saw in the GenCon decks. I think it was in a video, probably one of Team Covenant's, an FFG rep explaining the different emphasis you might see in different versions of the same character. Though maybe that was just someone's speculation and I've gotten it mixed up with official word from on high.

#17 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I lost count of the different versions of the main characters in the old Decipher version.  Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando experienced so much character growth that different versions are a must. I love random Stormtrooper 7 as much as the next person, but the big names are what drive the story.

#18 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

cleardave said:

Fbaranow said:

From what I gathered, once you have one of your Objectives defeated by your opponent, you draw the next one off your Objective deck and place it with the remaining ones.  So in theory, could you not have 2 copies of the same Objective in play in that case?  It seems clumsy to force a redraw if you already had one out on the table, especially when you consider an Objective deck that might be built as 2 copies of 5 different cards.

I think that's why the "limit 1 per deck" restriction exists on some cards and not others.  If you're trying to imagine what the abstract representation of having 2 copies of the same Objective out on the table, let's say 2 copies of "Mobilize the Squadrons", then imagine that those squadrons are really mobilized.

Strategically, that would provide some nice resource generation for the Rebel player in that game, as you could pull 2 a turn off each card, then completely refresh them the following Refresh phase.  As the Dark Side opponent, I might look at that and make it my business to shut down one of those Objectives pronto to put a hurting on the Rebel player's cash flow.

Then, you have your third Objective, which might also be of some specific value, but gets an indirect "shield" from Dark Side attacks, because they want to try and stop your resource generation deal over on Mobilize the Squadrons.

This is all speculation, based on the limited information we have, naturally, but I can't see them not letting you have both copies out at once, as a rule, unless a specific Objective prevented this in its text, similar to the "limit 1 per deck" text we have seen before.

I'm not sure why, but I always imagined once one of your objectives is destroyes you do not replace it. You would just lose the recources and benefits it gives you. I'm even quite sure there is a specific objective that gets replaced after being destroyed, as an exeption. 

#19 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

For what it's worth, Eric Lang's preview article says re: deckbuilding, "Choose at least ten different objectives, each linked to a set of five more specific cards…" (emphasis mine)

This would lead me to believe that running duplicate objective sets will require you to play a larger deck. Seems like an interesting wrinkle to me, as you obviously won't want to run 2x *all* your objectives, but you will certainly want to play a duplicate of at least one. If you really want Vader swing his lightsaber, then you play 2 of the Vader/lightsaber set. If you really want Vader and the Emperor on the table, then you throw in a duplicate of your favorite Emperor set. But you have to stop somewhere or you won't find that Vader. How bad do you need General Veers?

I am assuming that eventually you'll be able to use more than one objective to get a character in your deck, but I wonder if it will be that way initially? 

#20 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Interesting catch there, but I doubt that'll actually be the case. Here's how the AGOT core set rules describe plot decks, which are very broadly equivalent to objectives:

"Your plot deck must consist of exactly 7 different plot cards."

There are three plots that you can include twice in a plot deck, but these cards don't mean you can bump your plot deck up to 8. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS