What is the future of Arkham Horror??

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 diablo666

diablo666

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

I wish I was a fly on the wall in the offices of FFG and knew the answer to this question.

It seemed pretty clear from there report at Gencon that Arkham Horror is going to have more things for it but what is that going to be??

Where is this FAQ that was talked about YEARS ago???

Questions that I hope will get answers sometime soon.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

diablo666 said:

Questions that I hope will get answers sometime soon.

That's a shared desired, I think :-)

Something small, I guess. Maybe thematically tuned to the new Yig? Who knows. I hope before Yule something good is announced. Not that I'm in a rush: the game offers endless hours of fun as it is, but still, I'd love to see something new coming :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

I hope they are not planning to revise everything or make a Second edition of the main game. That would suck as I am trying to get everything Arkham-related right now…

#4 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Wondering if they are aware of that as well.  I feel the same way.  New board expansion would be fun and of course, new AOs are always fun!

#5 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I actually hope they will never release the FAQ, I have so much fun discussing the rules on the forum.

And I agree that a new edition would be disastrous.

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

MH caps off the main Arkham material, but I would like to see a pack containing all the Arkham Nights material and the published scenarios.

We've also got a new Ally coming in the new book.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 LordZardoz

LordZardoz

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

With all of the existing game materials, adding even more expansion material is probably somewhat unlikely.  Playing with every expansion would already require 2 kitchen tables.  If they keep going your going to run out of closet space.

I think there are a few things worth considering though.

Arkham Horror Deluxe super box:  Every expansion (large and small) in a single box.

Revised Kingsport Horror:  Maybe add some unstable locations, and possibly some varients for the way rifts are handled.  Kingsport gets a number of complaints for being like unpaid baby sitting;  ie, the person keeping the rifts under control by visiting locations in Kingsport doesn't have many opportunities to fight monsters (except fliers, swimmers, and the like) or enter other worlds.  Justified or not, fixing that perception may be worth trying.

More Small Box expansions:  If they do put out more small box expansions, I think that FFG ought to continue to do what they did with Miskatonic Horror, and add elements that interact with older expansions.

END COMMUNICATION

#8 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

@Tbla - You do realize that with a game this big, they could probably publish 3 FAQs and not cover all of the situations and rules questions that come up on this forum alone?  Sure they'd get the big ones, but there are a myriad of situations that are so obscure.  The discussion is nice but I'd rather have some more solid answers about how to interpret phrases on cards that cause the discussions.

I have a tendency to not mix expansions as much as I think people do and while I have my list of favorites (like everyone), I find that adding 1 board with a group of 4 investigators is enough.  That's why another board expansion would be fine with me.  Playing with all of them now would be just too much of a pain.  I also don't think FFG cares about your closet space.  They care about whether or not you'd actually by the product.  The real question is, how many people who actually read this forum would by another expansion (good or bad)?  I know that I would!  :)

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

LordZardoz said:

Revised Kingsport Horror:  Maybe add some unstable locations, and possibly some varients for the way rifts are handled.  Kingsport gets a number of complaints for being like unpaid baby sitting;  ie, the person keeping the rifts under control by visiting locations in Kingsport doesn't have many opportunities to fight monsters (except fliers, swimmers, and the like) or enter other worlds.  Justified or not, fixing that perception may be worth trying.

This perception is due to the fact that most of the peope truly believe that they have to have an investigator in Kingsport for the whole game, dealing with rifts, and this is clearly *wrong*. You need an investigator there when you start having three tokens on a rift track. So, most of the times you have to send an investigator there only in the very last part of the game. Plus, I don't see many difference in having an encounter in an unstable location or in a stable one (in case there are no clues on either location): I'd personally prefer having an encounter in a stable one, in order to avoid "a gate and a monster appear" encounters. So, this perception can be easily fixed by playing in a strategically correct way that board. Adding unstable location can easily screw completely the dynamics of the board: a gate can block you from closing a rift once opened.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Julia,

You'll read about her exploits in my latest story/write-up, but I have to tell you…Wendy is the BEST Investigator for Kingsport duty.  She can Evade every monster in the streets and usually has the stats to really do well in that city.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#11 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

One option for Kingsport duty is to have an extra player who is played by the 1st player for that round. Any team-player investigator like Leo (prevents damage), Mandy (reroll) or George (prevents arrest) is good as you can still benefit from their special ability even when they are in Kingsport. It goes without saying that this will make the game easier for you.

Some of the Leads and Music of Erich Zann cards in Lovecraft Country deliberately point to Kingsport to make it more visitting Kingsport more profitable.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#12 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

For me a reasonable fix for Kingsport is to release a monster on a stable location each time a rift marker cannot be placed due to the spots being full. This gives Kingsport some life and prevents over tactical play of completely ignoring whats going on there.

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

The Professor said:

Julia,

You'll read about her exploits in my latest story/write-up, but I have to tell you…Wendy is the BEST Investigator for Kingsport duty.  She can Evade every monster in the streets and usually has the stats to really do well in that city.

Sure, Wendy is brilliant. But sadly, she's brilliant on *every* board, especially to stop monsters diving into vortices (you can simply park her in front of a vortex and nothing will move after entereing her street area / location, plus she doesn't even have to roll the Evade, because she auto passes all the rolls). Plus, her starting 8 clues (ES + 3) it's amazing. Half of the sealing work can be done by her very very soon in any game.

#14 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Been playing a few Kingsport games recently, and I'd agree with Julia.  The first few games with the expansion it really did feel like someone had to be up there all the time just have encounter after encounter.  It made me not want to play it.  But we kept at it.  At this point, we rotate investigators in and out of Kingsport so no one is permanently on "kingsport duty" and it actually works out better this way because the investigator in Kingsport will be 'needed' in Arkham for something 'important'.  You CAN afford to let the rift track go for a bit unless the game becomes long.  We have also sent 2 investigators up to Kingsport to spend a few turns and return to Arkham after the track was back under control.

As an example: our game last night against Yibb-Tstll saw three of the four different investigators spend time in Kingsport.  At one point we had 2 in KS working rift tracks down at the same time.  Yibb almost spawned but thankfully, we were able to get our 6th (7th because of a gate burst) with Charlie Kane (of all people).  Lily was devoured trying to establish the 6th seal in R'lyeh (2nd pannel) because she only had 1 stam.  Over all a very exciting game.  The key point being that I don't think anyone felt as though they were 'stuck' doing KS duty.

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I like visiting Kingsport. It does feel like a small break from the insanity elsewhere.

The key, though, is recognizing that an investigator doesn't need to be there straight from the beginning of the game. Typically, I don't send anyone up there unless one rift is just about to pop.

#16 LordZardoz

LordZardoz

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Tactically, it may very well be the case that you do not need to spend much time in Kingsport.

However, compare that to the other two 'big board' expansions.

Dunwich Horror:  Gates will open here very often.  Monsters can feed Vortex and awaken the Horror and also feed the terror level.  If Dunwich horror wakes up, you need to go there and kill it to keep Doom Track from accellerating because every time the horror moves, you add a doom token.  Killing the Horror is a fun challenge.  Sealing a gate in Dunwich will add to the victory conditions of the game.

Innsmouth Horror:  Gates open here very often.  Monsters will feed vortex and cause a Deep One uprising and awaken the GOO immediately as well as feeding the terror level.  You need to spend clue tokens to get the feds to raid the place.  There is also the added challenge / risks from Marshal Law and having to draw Innsmouth Look cards.  If you go out to the reef, you need help to get back.  You go to Innsmouth both because it is needed and because it is fun.  Sealing a gate in Innsmouth will add to the victory conditions of the game.

Kingsport Horror:  Gates never open here.  If a rift opens, it open where the gate opened.  No monsters show up in Kingsport except monsters with special movement rules.  Rifts will accellerate the doom track so there is a reason to go out here.  You can also try to get 'Changed' or 'Captain of White Ship'.  This will require monster or gate tokens, neither of which you are likley to get in Kingsport.  And getting the 'Changed' state will take up yet more time (at least 3 turns).  However, time spent in Kingsport cannot advance progress towards winning the game.  it might help, but most likely it will be time spent not sealing gates.  At best, your just buying time to keep the doom track and monster population under control.

Kingsport takes up just as much table space as Dunwich or Innsmouth while adding a whole lot less fun.  It is not a bad expansion, but out of the 3 'big box' expansions, it is arguably the weakest.

I just cannot see how arguing 'Kingsport might not be interesting to explore, but at least you do not have to spend much time in Kingsport' is a good selling point.  The entire location is just a timesink with minimal incentives to visit.  Innsmouth kind of sucks to visit with the crazy number of chances to get devoured or arrested, but it is interesting and you are given reasons to be there.  it adds more strategic choices to manage.  Dunwich is not nearly as brutal but there are positive incentives to kiling that monster.  And after dealing with a Deep One Uprising or killing the Dunwich Horror, you do not have to spend 2 or 3 turns going somewhere else to get back to the business of sealing gates.

Kingsport can be improved.

END COMMUNICATION

#17 Captain Clegg

Captain Clegg

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hello everyone!

I know it has been already suggested but I'd like to expand a bit…

I would gladly welcome a small box or a book publication (or a POD even) containing the Arkham Nights scenarios and maybe some bonus material in the form of allies or mythos cards ecc. They could even come up with new similar campaigns requiring and intergrating various parts of the AH collection and possibly adding a few new components to enhance the stories and make an even more appealing product. (not that it would not be otherwise! :))

This way they could also easily add  corrections/improvements to aspects of the game that need any, avoiding dreaded new editions. (I got a TShirt with the script "I am a victim of the new Dark Pharaoh").

Cheers!     

#18 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

LordZardoz said:

And getting the 'Changed' state will take up yet more time (at least 3 turns).

I'd say 6 turns. Three to climb the Kigsport Head up, three to go back to the city. Which means that technically no one ever goes there for the Changed card, unless you draw the Mythos card allowing you to go directly to the Strange High House in the Mist.

The main point about the Kingsport board is that, as you said, no gate will ever open there. But if they did, it'd be almost impossible sealing any open rift. In some way, with these rift mechanics, you cannot have gates. But I'd not say that a board is good because it has locations where gates can open, and it's bad on the countrary. Plus, Kingsport board offers you encounters to get Allies, items, clues as all other boards. Plus, it's something new: if you look at the dynamics behind Innsmouth and Dunwich, they're rather similar: monsters entering into vortices induce something bad to happen. Rifts are a completely different mechanic that never suffers dilution: you can play how many expansions you want, and they'll always represent the same threat. Try a Dunwich game with all small expansions in and no Miskatonic Horror: you'll see how you can ignore easily the Dunwich board for the whole game. But in the same game, with the same expansion combo, you cannot ignore Kingsport in the same way.

Plus: between buying Kingsport and Innsmouth, I'll go certainly for Kingsport as second big expansion: there is much more content for everyone (new items, new spells, new allies: Innsmouth does not have Investigator cards but the Personal Story, which is a cool variant but it's not mandatory). So, even if the board could seem a turn off (which is not for me, but that's only my personal opinion), the box content of Kingsport is much more appealing than the one from Innsmouth. Innsmouth is *difficult*. But that's another story

#19 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Maybe I'm just biased against Kingsport, but honestly, its Allies are the only small-card content I have much interest in.  Okay, Ancient Language, Credit Rating, Makeup Kit, and the pay-to-refresh weapons are kind of cool, but most of the cards seem either cheap (Eltdown Shards, Crystal of the Elder Things, Livre d'Ivon), redundant (most of the skills and spells), or unmentionable (Massa di Requiem).

On the other hand, I still adore Personal Stories despite all their imperfections, but that is probably my secret theme player side showing (don't tell Avi).

#20 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

subochre said:

Maybe I'm just biased against Kingsport, but honestly, its Allies are the only small-card content I have much interest in.  Okay, Ancient Language, Credit Rating, Makeup Kit, and the pay-to-refresh weapons are kind of cool, but most of the cards seem either cheap (Eltdown Shards, Crystal of the Elder Things, Livre d'Ivon), redundant (most of the skills and spells), or unmentionable (Massa di Requiem).

On the other hand, I still adore Personal Stories despite all their imperfections, but that is probably my secret theme player side showing (don't tell Avi).

::laughter:. I won't, although I kinda miss his haunting presence here.

Anyway, Messa da Requiem is really… bleargh.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS