65 replies to this topic

#1 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3701

Does anyone have it yet? I'd love to hear the Table of Contents…

#2 Delacross

Delacross

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Can't seem to find it anywhere. Barnes and Nobles doesn't even list it. I know I can order it online, but I like frequenting brick and mortar establishments.

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I picked up a copy yesterday. Abbreviated ToC would be:

ToC, intro, etc. - pages 1-5

The Dead Cabal (Deathwatch forces in the Outer Reach) - pages 6-47

Lost Worlds of the Jericho Reach (locations and story seeds) - pages 48-99

A Dynasty Returned (Necrons) - pages 100-141

Appendix on condensed vehicle rules - pages 142-144

Probably a bit too much Necron crunch for my tastes - especially since I also own Black Crusade and am drowning in Necron crunch - but whatever.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#4 Mkall

Mkall

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

How do the Necrons compare to their appearances in the Black Crusade books?  When I read about them in the Tome of Fate, they didn't strike me as tough enough to take on a Deathwatch Team.

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Mkall said:

How do the Necrons compare to their appearances in the Black Crusade books?  When I read about them in the Tome of Fate, they didn't strike me as tough enough to take on a Deathwatch Team.

They seem pretty tough to me. The basic Necron Warrior comes in Hordes and everything else is considerably harder. Lots of Elites in here, ranging from the Lychguard with their 2d10+20 damage melee weapons to the Deathmark snipers. There are also about a half-dozen Master baddies (Lords, Overlords, Destoyer Lord, Canoptek Spiders, some others) that don't initially seem as nasty as some of the daemon princes and such, but when you look closer at how their special rules work they're pretty badass.

OTOH, there is a specialty career for Space Marines that fight Necrons that gives them the ability to cut through many of these guys (along with Tyranids and Daemons) much more easily, so perhaps that's what's intended.

As I'm primarily a RT GM, I appreciate that these stats are more compatible with RT than those from Black Crusade, and in RT, even a few Warriors are a nasty opponent.

#6 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

There was a section on Necrons in Tome of Fate.  Are the stats the same or are there any differences?

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

many minor differences, but generally about the same

#8 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

The Dead Station Vigilant is a fun advanced speciality. My DSV, Brother Onesto Salvatore of the Blood Angels, has had a lot of success.

peterstepon said:

There was a section on Necrons in Tome of Fate.  Are the stats the same or are there any differences?

The all follow the same lines. They were both written by the same guy.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Mkall said:

From our experience it comes down to the mix of Necrons you face rather than individual Necron types. A Warrior isn’t dangerous, but a Horde of them is extremely dangerous. Oddly the safest place to be when facing Warriors is in melee with them.

Immortals aren’t all that scary, but occasionally they get lucky with the Gauss rule and cause decent damage. Destroyers are similar in that their gun doesn’t do a heck of a lot of damage, but it fires so many shots that the Gauss rule is bound to kick in eventually. Heavy Destroyers are very dangerous, akin to Rail-gun toting Broadsides. Try not to be on the business end of that thing’s Gauss Cannon.

Overlords never posed a problem unless they had a Warscythe. I hope that’s been changed, as they were a bit too easy to assassinate. Scarabs were dangerous if you didn’t deal with them immediately, as they mess with your armour. Tomb Spyders were ok. Flayed Ones didn’t really do a great deal, but that could change.

Wraiths were the amusing ones. Most of the time they did nothing. Occasionally they caused a fair amount damage. Between these times they avoided almost every attack thrown at them. Interesting things to fight, and a challenge for most Marines simply due to their evasion and phasing abilities.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#10 TechVoid

TechVoid

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

HappyDaze said:

Lots of Elites in here, ranging from the Lychguard with their 2d10+20 damage melee weapons to the Deathmark snipers.

Which brings me back to the old question: Is this damage supposed to fit with the DW Core Rules or with the errated weapon stats?

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

Lots of Elites in here, ranging from the Lychguard with their 2d10+20 damage melee weapons to the Deathmark snipers.

Which brings me back to the old question: Is this damage supposed to fit with the DW Core Rules or with the errated weapon stats?

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

How would it matter since there is only one set of damage values for Necron weapons?

#12 TechVoid

TechVoid

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

HappyDaze said:

How would it matter since there is only one set of damage values for Necron weapons?

I am not sure, if I fully understand your comment. But it matters, since the threat level of an enemy is based on the assumption that the weapons follow the same guidelines. Thus, for example, if the authors had in mind that an enemy weapon should be equal to a Heavy Bolter than you know that the enemy weapon is weaker, if played according to the Errata. Which makes the enemy weaker.

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

#13 Mkall

Mkall

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

I am not sure, if I fully understand your comment. But it matters, since the threat level of an enemy is based on the assumption that the weapons follow the same guidelines. Thus, for example, if the authors had in mind that an enemy weapon should be equal to a Heavy Bolter than you know that the enemy weapon is weaker, if played according to the Errata. Which makes the enemy weaker.

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

I believe that everything published since the weapons were revamped are scaled using those revamped stats as a balancing point.

#14 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

Errata is.. well.. errata. Errata is Core. Errata effectively replaces whatever any book said before. So I don't see how this can even be a discussion.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Fgdsfg said:

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

Errata is.. well.. errata. Errata is Core. Errata effectively replaces whatever any book said before. So I don't see how this can even be a discussion.

The changes to Deathwatch weapon stats in Appendix I are not really true errata. They are called out as an optional rule that GMs can use or not as desired.

#16 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

yes, we the general public know that 'errata' = 'core'; but the question is:  does ffg?  Because, as the previous poster mentioned, ffg's stance seems to be that errata = optional….

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

HappyDaze said:

Fgdsfg said:

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

The changes to Deathwatch weapon stats in Appendix I are not really true errata. They are called out as an optional rule that GMs can use or not as desired.

That's… really odd and of course you are entirely correct now that I check. That said, since it's "optional", I would say that "Core" is.. well, Core.

Beats me.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#18 TechVoid

TechVoid

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

HappyDaze said:

Well, that is true. This leads me to the simply conclusion that FFG has to consider that some GMs use the optional weapon stats and must state in any upcoming books: "If you use the errata, the weapon stats have to be changed like …".

Of course, this is only true for "new" weapons. Another imperial soldier in another book with his lasgun does not need any changes, because you find new weapon stats in the appendix of the errata.

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

#19 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

TechVoid said:

HappyDaze said:

Well, that is true. This leads me to the simply conclusion that FFG has to consider that some GMs use the optional weapon stats and must state in any upcoming books: "If you use the errata, the weapon stats have to be changed like …".

Of course, this is only true for "new" weapons. Another imperial soldier in another book with his lasgun does not need any changes, because you find new weapon stats in the appendix of the errata.

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

no weapon needs alternate stats, if there is only one line of stats for a weapon then you use that statline regardless of whether appendix i is being used or not

#20 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

are you sure about that?  because the errata weapon rules are a significant change from Rules As Written….heavy bolter RAW is most definitely NOT heavy bolter errata….

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS