Jump to content



Photo

Deadeye


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Duraham

Duraham

    Member

  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

 roughly reading off the very blurred image provided:

 

you may treat the [ATTACK: TARGET LOCK] header as [ATTACK: FOCUS]

 

when an attack requires you to spend a target lock, you may spend a focus token instead

 

1 cost



#2 Duraham

Duraham

    Member

  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

 rather weird effect at first glance, so far I could only think that it would be useful if you have missiles/p-torps and a target lock on somebody when Biggs appears out of nowhere all of a sudden, or some other nicer juicy target decides to appear. Would be rather good for Ywings carrying 2 p-torps if they had the upgrade slot for it, too bad they don't. Possible combo with Garven too



#3 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I am trying very hard to wrap my mind around the usefulness of this and all I can think is the answer will become more clear as the swarm of upgrades of Wave 2 come released, because as it stands I can't figure out it's value whatsoever.  It just doesn't seem beneficial with any existing combinations, and even then, it still feels like it's upgrade that only supports other upgrades.  Which, to me, makes it particularly useless in pretty much any scenario.


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#4 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

    Member

  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

CaptainRook said:

I am trying very hard to wrap my mind around the usefulness of this and all I can think is the answer will become more clear as the swarm of upgrades of Wave 2 come released, because as it stands I can't figure out it's value whatsoever.  It just doesn't seem beneficial with any existing combinations, and even then, it still feels like it's upgrade that only supports other upgrades.  Which, to me, makes it particularly useless in pretty much any scenario.

The usefulness is it allows you to keep the current target lock while using a torpedo on another target. Also, sometimes the enemy ship you want to hit is out of target lock range after your move but within torp range after his move. Also, it isn't bad with torpedoes. Torps will benefit a lot more from a target lock than a focus because the torp ability already changes one Eye icon to a crit.

Here's a combo with the card (that isn't particularly good):

Wedge (or any high skill pilot) - Swarm Tactics
Garvin
Luke (or any other pilot with a skill lower than a swarmed garvin)- Torpedo and Deadeye

Luke will have a target lock on an enemy from a previous round and a focus token from this round. Wedge gives Garvin 9 skill so Garvin attacks before Luke. Garvin uses his focus token and gives it to Luke. Luke now has a target lock and 2 focus tokens. He will use one focus token to shoot the torp and still have the ability to spend a target lock and focus token. That's a whole lot of planning for a small increase in damage.

 

It is only a 1 point card. It isn't supposed to be very good. I like it better than determination on ships carrying torpedoes. 



#5 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

    Member

  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

 I think this will turn out to be better than initial opinion in the long run. Beyond the reasons already stated by ShadowJak, it simply allows for a marked increase in flexibility. A target lock can only be used against a particular opponent, whereas the focus token can be used against anyone. There have been a number of times that I've wished I had chosen to lock onto a different target because of either maneuvering or dice rolls. If you're hoping your first two shots can take down Biggs and leave you open to hit Wedge, but you don't want to bank on it…focus token. Then you're not forced to target a particular pilot if you want to use your missiles/torps. Spend one point and open up a lot more targeting options for myself? Yes please. Also…not all ships have target lock options.



#6 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

    Member

  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

KarmikazeKidd said:

 I think this will turn out to be better than initial opinion in the long run. Beyond the reasons already stated by ShadowJak, it simply allows for a marked increase in flexibility. A target lock can only be used against a particular opponent, whereas the focus token can be used against anyone. There have been a number of times that I've wished I had chosen to lock onto a different target because of either maneuvering or dice rolls. If you're hoping your first two shots can take down Biggs and leave you open to hit Wedge, but you don't want to bank on it…focus token. Then you're not forced to target a particular pilot if you want to use your missiles/torps. Spend one point and open up a lot more targeting options for myself? Yes please. Also…not all ships have target lock options.

There is also the possibility there will be secondary weapons that use target lock but don't get discarded. This upgrade would be excellent in that case.



#7 Torresse

Torresse

    Member

  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

 this will be a must have for me…


This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4


#8 Duraham

Duraham

    Member

  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

 would be somewhat useful against dark curse too, if you wanted to torpedo him for whatever reason. At least now you do not have to waste a target lock on him I guess. Also makes the torpedo harder to predict, as opposed to being careful with whoever already had a target lock (although I acknowledge you could still switch the lock over to the actual intended target and fire away)

 

If your skill points is a bit on the low side of the battlefield, it also gives you the option to choose focus first, and if you didn't already use it for evading hits, you could now use it for offense, as opposed to choosing target lock then praying very hard that you do not take any major hits and die before that.

 

Hmm, the card seems to get gradually getting better as we brainstorm what we could do with it.



#9 tinnitus

tinnitus

    Member

  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

It's also a great cure for Expert Handling. High skill pilots with Expert Handling are currently (almost) untargetable for torps or missiles.



#10 Capsaicin

Capsaicin

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

It looks simple to me.

Acquire target lock, acquire focus.  Spend focus to get the benefits of a lock.  The lock never breaks unless you choose another target or the current locked target uses Expert Handling.

This seems awesome to me at a cheap price.  Will make the under gunned A-Wings more reliable when shooting and more flexible on how to use the Focus or other action.

Another combo would be that the A-Wing pilot (or who ever has Deadeye) just focuses and Dutch Vander gives them the lock.

This is also a MUCH more reliable way to keep a lock over the R5-K6 and at half the cost.

EDIT - This is going to be a boon for the Rebels as only Slave-I and the TIE/AD can utilize it.  Where the X-Wing, A-Wing, and the YT-1300 can.  Seems silly that no Y-Wing pilots can use the Elite Skills.  Just because they pilot the dumptruck doesn't mean they have 1337 skillz! :P



#11 ArcticSnake

ArcticSnake

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Roughly reading the blurred Homing Missile:

[Attack: Target Lock] Discard this card to…

It does not seem that you have to spend your target lock to fire off a Homing Missile.

Combo that with Deadeye:

[Attack: Focus] Discard this card to…

Boom! You only need to have a focus to fire off a Homing Missile.


Battlescribe X-Wing Miniatures Data file links:
Index.bsi file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.bsi
Index.xml file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.xml

 


#12 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

I think people are playing Chinese Whispers with this thread and not reading the original post, which is:

 roughly reading off the very blurred image provided:

 

 

you may treat the [ATTACK: TARGET LOCK] header as [ATTACK: FOCUS]

 

when an attack requires you to spend a target lock, you may spend a focus token instead

 

1 cost

This seems simple to me in that you can count Target Lock as a Focus if you want, nothing more, nothing less.  The advantage is what has happened to me many times in that you have TL on and roll a pair of Focus and wishing you had chosen Focus instead.  With this ability I can now change 2 Focus dice to hits rather relying on a good re-roll.

 



#13 tinnitus

tinnitus

    Member

  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

You're not adressing the second part.

Duraham said:

when an attack requires you to spend a target lock, you may spend a focus token instead

Bu you're right - it's all sort of Chinese whispers and speculations so far, as the source of this information (i.e. the blurry image) is somewhat, well, blurry.

 



#14 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

    Member

  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Major Mishap said:

I think people are playing Chinese Whispers with this thread and not reading the original post, which is:

 roughly reading off the very blurred image provided:

 

 

you may treat the [ATTACK: TARGET LOCK] header as [ATTACK: FOCUS]

 

when an attack requires you to spend a target lock, you may spend a focus token instead

 

1 cost

This seems simple to me in that you can count Target Lock as a Focus if you want, nothing more, nothing less.  The advantage is what has happened to me many times in that you have TL on and roll a pair of Focus and wishing you had chosen Focus instead.  With this ability I can now change 2 Focus dice to hits rather relying on a good re-roll.

 

No. Absolutely not. Treating [Attack: Target Lock] as [Attack: Focus] doesn't change target locks directly into focuses. You are commenting without knowing the current rules or wording on the cards. Please learn the current rules before speculating and especially before posting.

[Attack: Target Lock] is used on Torpedoes and Missiles. It has nothing to do with spending a target lock to reroll attack dice. Treating [Attack: Target Lock] as [Attack: Focus] doesn't mean treating target locks as focus tokens.

 



#15 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

    Member

  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

 If anything I'm thinking it makes focusing a tad better. Although I liked he increased chance of critical with target lock I'm beginning to worry focus may be better..specifically if you can have this 1 pt card.



#16 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

ShadowJak said:

CaptainRook said:

 

I am trying very hard to wrap my mind around the usefulness of this and all I can think is the answer will become more clear as the swarm of upgrades of Wave 2 come released, because as it stands I can't figure out it's value whatsoever.  It just doesn't seem beneficial with any existing combinations, and even then, it still feels like it's upgrade that only supports other upgrades.  Which, to me, makes it particularly useless in pretty much any scenario.

 

 

The usefulness is it allows you to keep the current target lock while using a torpedo on another target. Also, sometimes the enemy ship you want to hit is out of target lock range after your move but within torp range after his move. Also, it isn't bad with torpedoes. Torps will benefit a lot more from a target lock than a focus because the torp ability already changes one Eye icon to a crit.

Here's a combo with the card (that isn't particularly good):

Wedge (or any high skill pilot) - Swarm Tactics
Garvin
Luke (or any other pilot with a skill lower than a swarmed garvin)- Torpedo and Deadeye

Luke will have a target lock on an enemy from a previous round and a focus token from this round. Wedge gives Garvin 9 skill so Garvin attacks before Luke. Garvin uses his focus token and gives it to Luke. Luke now has a target lock and 2 focus tokens. He will use one focus token to shoot the torp and still have the ability to spend a target lock and focus token. That's a whole lot of planning for a small increase in damage.

 

It is only a 1 point card. It isn't supposed to be very good. I like it better than determination on ships carrying torpedoes. 

That's why I said 'usefulness' because it seems to require an awful lot of planning or at least circumstance. 


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#17 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

    Member

  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

CaptainRook said:

 

 

 

 

 

That's why I said 'usefulness' because it seems to require an awful lot of planning or at least circumstance. 

 

 

Not really. The scenario I posted with the 3 named pilots was just a proof of concept.

Having a focus and target lock at the same time isn't hard. The scenario I posted for getting 2 focus tokens and a target lock is a fringe case but getting 1 of each is easy and being able to use target lock instead of focus to increase torps' damage is a decent improvement.

If they make a secondary weapon that uses target lock but doesn't get discarded, this card could be amazing but seeing that possibility doesn't take any foresight. 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS