• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hiyas!

As a (hopefully) soon to be WFRP GM I was wondering, besides the Big Black Box, what's essential to buy (I'm mazed by this)?  I will probably have up to 6 players…

Thanks!

L

#2 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Have a look at this recent thread 

#3 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I assume you're going to play with cards and tokens?

In that case, and with 6 players, you will need 2 core sets (or 1 core set + 3 adv toolkit) to get basic cards for all your players. You may of course use one core set and photocopies of the basic cards, but if you really want everyone to have cards you will need the above. There are also sheets on the support page available for copying actions on paper.

If I were you I'd talk to the players a bit before to find out what kind of careers they want to play. If there's more than one dwarf, wizard, or priest I would probably buy the supplement that offers options for that particular career. If any of them really really want to play careers from The adventurer's toolkit I'd let them on the premise that they buy the product themselves. I also like Omens of war a lot, mainly because of the Serious injury rules (and cards) in it. If you plan on having social encounters and/or nobility involved in the adventures Lure of Power is a must. Hero's call can safely wait until your PC's have reached rank 3 (unless you want them to be able to play halflings, ogres, or have different racial backgrounds).

If you go with one core set it would probably be wise to buy one copy of The Player's handbook as well to have at least two copies of the rules to use while playing and making characters. If you have computers/tablets at the table you could buy it in pdf format. 

All in all, it depends on how much money you have to spend. For source material (i.e., pure adventures excluded) I would buy stuff in this order (or priority):

1. Core set + Player's handbook (or double core set) + more dice if you don't want to share.
2. Omens of war
3. Any one of Signs of faith, Blackfire pass, or Winds of magic to allow more options for PCs. If no PCs have those careers, I'd go with Signs of faith (because Nurgle is just such a nice guy)
4. Lure of power
5. Fill in whatevers needed
6. Hero's call

#4 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Just want to point out that purchasing two core sets is a great way to get a lot of dice fast, basic actions and creature standups. Also, you get two sets of books, making it possible for the players to borrow a books if they want to read up on rules or something, while you still have one. As the dice packs are hard to get and the game runs smoother if you have lots of dice avaliable for the players it should be considered.

The Adventurers toolkit is a great way to add some new, interesting careers and actions. It's easy to include in the core set as it doesn't contain any new rules or book, which also makes it relatively cheap. So this would be my second purchase. This would be a good starting point and you can certainly play for a long time with only the core set(s) and the adventurers toolkit. My group and I (4 players+GM) played with a single core set, an adventurers toolkit and a few dice packs for about 3 or 4 months before we expanded further.

After the initial purchases it's more up to what you and your players like (plus how much money you want to spend on the game).

I'd start by collecting the chaos powers, picking up the boxes corresponding best with what chaos god I like best as a GM + if any player(s) will be playing wizards/priests. The order I'd purchase them in would be: Signs of Faith (Nurgle + Priests), Winds of Magic (Tzeenesh + Wizards), Lure of Power (Slaneesh + Social) and last Omens of War (Khorne + Combat).

When you have all the above, you have a very complete game. Obviously, if you have many dwarven characters Black fire pass should be picked up quite early on. If you like written adventures you should consider picking up one or two of them.

#5 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Just my two cents.  If u r going to use components, I would recommend two core sets.  I have the hard back books, and they do make things a bit easier to understand,  but if I had it to do over, I would not buy the hard back books.  The real value for me was the basic action cards, character keepers, character sheets, dice and big box for storage, that buying a second core set provided.  I have to agree with many others above that omens of war is amazing.  I would also recommend the creature vault, however the creature guide, aside from cool fluff I think it is unnesassary.    Now.  If u plan to play without components, get the hard back books, the gms toolkit for the gm screen, and dice.  Then u can puchase the expansions as u identify what u want out of the game.  This hard backs will actually cost u more $ in the long run as the dice u need get pricy very fast!  Each core set provides about $53 in dice.  I can't imagine playing with less, twice that much is better, especially with a group of 6 + a gm.

Again just my 2 cents, hope this helps.  It's a great game!

#6 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Oh, I totally forgot about the Creature vault in my post. I like the vault a lot, probably even more than Omens of war. A must-get unless you play only pre-made adventures. The creature cards make a world of difference in the amount of time it takes to prep a session. gmanjkd two cents are dollars worth ;)

#7 Smogg

Smogg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

Apart from the Core Set I would just reccomend:

- Adventureres Toolkit

- 2 x Extra Dice

- Download and print a couple of extra sheets with the Basic Actions cards.

The core set has everything you need (including mage and priest classes) and with the Basic Action Cards sheets you can easily go more than 4 players. The core set has a great adventure to start out with, that can easily take a few sessions to run. Chances are if your group enjoys the game, one or two of them will want to buy their own rulebooks or core sets. See what your group are willing to buy and get a feel for the character they play, by then you will know which expansions to go for, and if you really need to buy a second core set yourself.

#8 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi:

I'm not sure if there's a starting adventure in the Core set, or if it's any good, but I wanted to know which is the best "starting" adventure out there, so I can get this thing jamming Gagnam Style from the get go…

Thanks again for your incredible input!

L

#9 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi:

As I peruse the responses more deeply, (it seems I'm missing some brain cells) I get the impression one can run the game w/out the "components (ie., cards & such)", like a "traditional RPG".  Is this totally true or to what degree?  I've always thought that the game was quite difficult to run w/out its "components".

L

#10 HopefulHammerer

HopefulHammerer

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

You can absolutely play the game without the components.  About the only custom piece you would still need would be the set of dice.

You can find out more about running the "Lite" version of the game by checking out the Player's book instead of the Core set.  Keep in mind, as mentioned above, that going completely "Lite" will mean a lot more writing down of things.  In my game, we've gone only partially "Lite" by still using the cards but using pencil marks instead of tokens for things like fatigue and stress.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your game.  Make it your own and have a blast.

#11 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Not to repeat anything but Beginner's Guide to WFRP-type of post can be found from Daily Empire. You can also find all kinds of interesting downloads from there - including one-sheet adventures and a flow sheet of what to by! It might be outdated a bit but it's still funny. ^_^

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS