• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Daredevil

Action: Execute a red [LTurn1] or [RTurn1] manuever.
Then, if you do not have the [Boost} action icon, roll 2 attack dice. Suffer any damage [Hit] and critical damage [Crit] rolled.

Cost 2?

I was able to make out the text from the Wave 2 announcement page. I'm sure of the text but not sure of the cost.

It seems to be really good for ships with boost and terrible for ships without it. What does everyone else think?

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

If its red, then I don't think it is something I would do a bunch.

I try to avoid the U-turn with my TIEs doing the 1-turns instead.

When ever I do a red manuver my friend's ion turrets always hit me.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

would be a tad more useful if it was simply roll 1 evade dice, then do not suffer 1 damage if you rolled an evade. the potential of 2 self-inflicted damage is very very scary.

For now, I can't think of much situations where that would come in handy, maybe after doing a forward 4-5 alongside another enemy ship? It's not like a barrel roll that could easily get you out of an enemy ship's firing arc, and because it's an action, you'd still have to do your normal moves first, then the hard speed 1 turn, so it may or may not help when everything is clustered together 

#4 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Duraham said:

would be a tad more useful if it was simply roll 1 evade dice, then do not suffer 1 damage if you rolled an evade. the potential of 2 self-inflicted damage is very very scary.

For now, I can't think of much situations where that would come in handy, maybe after doing a forward 4-5 alongside another enemy ship? It's not like a barrel roll that could easily get you out of an enemy ship's firing arc, and because it's an action, you'd still have to do your normal moves first, then the hard speed 1 turn, so it may or may not help when everything is clustered together 

So, you don't see where being able to basically rotate your ship's facing 90 degrees in the action phase would be useful?  Please play me.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#5 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Duraham said:

It is much better than barrel roll:

Barrel roll doesn't allow for much change in the firing arc. After a move action, you'll have the option of facing any direction except for backwards. This allows for a major change in the arc and still allows for possible movement out of enemy firing arcs.

It also allows for a U-turn that doesn't move your ship 3-4 away. 

You can zig and zag around asteroids with ease. Performing a daredevil move after taking a hard turn is like moving diagonally while still facing the original direction. Yeah, barrel roll acts similarly, but the diagonal movement isn't as far to the side

The ships that have boost also have barrel roll so it opens up tons of options for movement and who knows what boost is going to do.

This is one of the few elite pilot upgrades that isn't just used as a point filler. When the TIE Interceptor comes out, I am definitely trying out this card. I usually never run elite pilot upgrades because they are generally terrible wastes of squad points.

#6 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

CaptainRook said:

Duraham said:

So, you don't see where being able to basically rotate your ship's facing 90 degrees in the action phase would be useful?  Please play me.

im sorry my opponents are generally painfully predictable

anyway, that 2 potential damage still sounds very very painful for such an effect though, even if you get to shoot first you'd still need to already have some sort of advantage or lead over your opponent. I really cant visualize this to be some tide-turner until i try it out first.

EDIT: although if you do plonk it on an Xwing and toss a R2 astromech on, it'd be rather scary being able to pull off those tight U-turns. still, 2 attack dice = ouch.

#7 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

I wouldn't put it on anything that didn't have the boost action icon or above a 6 pilot skill. It's a completely reactionary ability, and needs at least some of the opponent's ships to be moved.  It is one of the first upgrades, aside from two or three, that doesnt seem to be frosting.  You can just about guarantee I'll never have Tycho Celchu without it. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#8 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Duraham said:

CaptainRook said:

Duraham said:

anyway, that 2 potential damage still sounds very very painful for such an effect though, even if you get to shoot first you'd still need to already have some sort of advantage or lead over your opponent. I really cant visualize this to be some tide-turner until i try it out first.

EDIT: although if you do plonk it on an Xwing and toss a R2 astromech on, it'd be rather scary being able to pull off those tight U-turns. still, 2 attack dice = ouch.

Never put it on anything without boost. They put on that 2 dice penalty just so it can't be easily used by every ship with an elite slot because it is so powerful. It makes all the other elite upgrades released so far look even more like total trash (they are already almost all overpriced).

#9 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

ShadowJak said:

Duraham said:

CaptainRook said:

Duraham said:

Never put it on anything without boost. They put on that 2 dice penalty just so it can't be easily used by every ship with an elite slot because it is so powerful. It makes all the other elite upgrades released so far look even more like total trash (they are already almost all overpriced).

actually I was thinking more along the lines of Wedge + R2D2 + daredevil

#10 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

Duraham said:

ShadowJak said:

Duraham said:

CaptainRook said:

Duraham said:

actually I was thinking more along the lines of Wedge + R2D2 + daredevil

That'd be a good combo but I'm a bit too cautious to risk taking hull damage has less than 2 shields. With only 1 shield, there is a 25% chance of taking a hit (or crit) to the hull. I'd just stick with putting it on an A-Wing. Sure, they have much less attack but they will also cost a lot less (about 4 or 5 less points I think).

#11 Hdnggrnchrg

Hdnggrnchrg

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Tycho plus this is going to be big, I can see it.

#12 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

The 2 damage is a nice balance for such an ability, since there is a risk involved in pulling such a maneuver. 

#13 Stacysensei

Stacysensei

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Do you still have to take the stress token if you use this?

#14 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

If it is a red maneuver, then yes. You will recieve a stress token.

Also, most ships are given the option of an upgrade that will grant them the boost action. I think they are ment to be bought together.

#15 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Duraham said:

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Wedge + R2D2 + daredevil

Actually, I would say Wedge + R2D2 + daredevil + BOOSTED ENGINE (which allows you to do boost actions).  It does add a lot of points, but you could be quite agile with him.

#16 tinnitus

tinnitus

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Sure, you could point him in almost any direction and then blast away! But I am also thinking about Darth. Together with barrel roll, daredevil will be a beast - since he can do them in sequence. More fun than good, I guess, because of all the ion cannons out there.

#17 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

This one is great for guys like Vader or someone getting a second action from squad leader. If you K-turn you have a stress token. Using this you wont get one but for a standard ship you can reverse direction but you still have no offensive or defensive action left. Vader just has one action to spare and will most definitely be well-positioned.

Soontir fel is ridiculous with this too. Turn 90 Degrees, then do it again and take the stress token, giving you a free focus. Gotta love this guy!

#18 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

ForceM said:

This one is great for guys like Vader or someone getting a second action from squad leader. If you K-turn you have a stress token. Using this you wont get one but for a standard ship you can reverse direction but you still have no offensive or defensive action left. Vader just has one action to spare and will most definitely be well-positioned.

Soontir fel is ridiculous with this too. Turn 90 Degrees, then do it again and take the stress token, giving you a free focus. Gotta love this guy!

And, as a bonus, the hard 2 turn for the TIE/Int is a green maneuver. This lets you clear the stess token and be able to use the Daredevil ability in the next action phase.

#19 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yeah this combo is just awesome. But i doubt if Fel is not even better with Push the limit. 2 Actions plus a free focus token. Thats just ridiculously good!

#20 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I cannot wait to put this on Soontir Fel, to get the unbelievable maneuverability boost with the free focus icon.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS