Photo

What do you use to store your minis/rules?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Capsaicin

Capsaicin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

I recently bought X-Wing before hurricane Sandy hit so my wife and I would have something to play while we were both stranded at home.  I also bought 1 TIE Advanced and 1 Y-Wing set.

Now I have the desire to get 1 more X-Wing and 2 more TIEs at a minimum.  My problem is that the game box seems to lack any more space to hold my minis and rules securely.

What would you suggest to hold all the rules, templates, tokens, dice, cards, chips, and models safely and securely?

Thanks!

#2 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Box 

The craftmates thing is to store all the tokens and crap used during the game. You can get one from Michael's or Jo-Ann's. You will eventually accumulate way too many of the tokens so just keep about 8 of each in it. All the movement dials and other stuff I keep in a tackle box from walmart. The range rulers and rulebook fit on top of the miniatures themselves.

#3 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

A cheap compartment box like this for all the card bits, so you can sort them:

An the ships and cards can be left in their plastic containers and stored in the Star Wars box.

#4 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

This is pretty much how I store my stuff. Get one of those cheap compartment boxes. then buy lots of cleaning sponges for cheap, and cut away the hard sponge side and cut the rest down to shape.  Non-standard items I've included are some d6 for solo play or conflict resolution, a pile of coloured wooden tabs to use in place of the number tab (because colours are much easier to see at a glance than numbers) and a little notebook to jolt down interesting stuff, usually some nice builds I've come across or tips, mission ideas, people's contacts if your phone is out of battery etc. Range rulers, asteroids, that cardboard transport ship are hidden under that pile of maneuver dials. The whole storage solution costs me about SGD $11, so it is a very affordable solution.

#5 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

A tackle box works wonders, depending in the size of your collection. Go to Walmart, Kmart or target. They are cheap $40 for a box to hold all my collection plus room for bigger ships

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#6 Hdnggrnchrg

Hdnggrnchrg

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I have 1 of each expansion, and I can fit everything in the box!

#7 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

I've stored mine like Hdnggrnchrg said and for now that willbe fine but later I'll go with the plastic tacical boxes.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#8 tjwulff67

tjwulff67

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Maybe it was the pack rat in me but I kept the 2 part plastic insert from the booster pack.  I though it was the safest way to store them until I found a method that wasn't too expensive.  Then after a few weeks I put a few details together.  The issued pilot cars are standard "American Game Card" size.  And when FFG packed the blister/clam shell booster the entire pack was in a neat and simple bundle.  (hey they survived the trek to wintery Canada via dog sled to Ontario)  That meant the insert packaging for the ships should fit into card box.  Guess what… they do!!!  And guess what else?  I also, to pad up space put the pilot cars into a box an have them int the card box as well!!  Simple and cheap solution.

#9 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

yeah,
At the moment I just keep my bits in the box and minis on a shelf.
But I'm looking at all the options.

Battle Foam make a tray that replaces the plastic tray in the X-wing box.
http://us.battlefoam...e-Foam-Kit.html

KR multicase also have trays for X-wing.
http://krmulticase.c...TAR&army=XW&d=1

Panic…

#10 GamerDroid

GamerDroid

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I've gone for a custom case, an old Kenner Star Wars action figure carry case.

Closed case

I carved up the inside a bit to make spaces for the tokens. Most are still in bags, but I want to get some little plastic cases and fit them with foam into the action figure slots. I had to carve up space for the pilot cards and asteroid tokens. I custom made the holder for the movement rules.

Finally the deeper side got a layer of foam board with holes cut into it and the original plastic carry cases inserted into those spots.

Miniatures

There is still room for more ships. The top is reserved for the Falcon.

There is still some work to go on the case. After seeing the KR Foam I want to fill up one side with that to make it easier to swap contents (if I ever get enough ships). I also need to reduce some of the width, the lid for the miniatures and the foam with the movement rulers makes a really tight fit and I don't think the old plastic tabs can take the strain for to much longer.

For those who think it is the end of the collectors world to carve up an old 1980's case like this so did I. I had one that I threw out earlier in the year (gasp) because the tabs were broken and it was in a state not worth keeping. It was an original 1980's case. Then X-Wing comes out and I decided it would make the perfect carrying case. I hit the second hand markets and found one. I get it home to discover a copyright 2004 mark inside of it. This is just a rerun to make money, so I had no qualms of carving it up!

#11 AliciaG

AliciaG

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm using a water-tight file box from the Container store (~$24) and a 11" compartment organizer from Home Depot (~$5). The compartment organizer I'm using to hold most of the punch outs, the turn wheels and ship base tags. The ships themselves I'm storing in one of the starter boxes with the range rulers and the 5 length movement punch (since they are too long to store elsewhere. I'm highly considering getting the Battle Foam box insert someone mentioned earlier in the thread since it would hold essentially the two start boxes and the expansions. 

All my cards I put in a binder with card sheets since I like to peruse them this way rather than individually. 

It all fits very nicely in the box.

Link to dropbox slideshow of images

#12 Carist

Carist

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

These are all great solutions so far, but where is that Slave 1 and Millennium Falcon going to fit?

#13 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Carist said:

These are all great solutions so far, but where is that Slave 1 and Millennium Falcon going to fit?

Ahhh, the boxes they came in?

#14 Fredrik

Fredrik

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

here is my solution:

Tokens etc
Ships

Should be rather future proofe.
I was lycky with the y-wing front. Right in a dent in the upper part of the box.

#15 Hulksmash

Hulksmash

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have a battle foam shield bag from Adepticon last that takes GW sized foam trays. So I'm ordering 3 custom trays during Battle Foams Black Friday sale for it. One is for all possible alliance builds thru the second expansion. One is for all possible imperial builds thru the second expansion. And the last is for all my tokens, cards, manuever wheels, and such. I'll post pictures of the designed trays once I finish making them.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS