At least we aren't the Magic Community

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kr4ng

kr4ng

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler/article/280396/58/Friendship-money-greed-meet-in-fantasy-card-game-Magic

The HoD whining and the Damonfold discussion aside, at least we aren't killing each other over the cards. 

Ahhh, the benefits of an LCG format--low card value.

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Wow. Just…….wow :(

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

WTF. That is just not right on so many levels. 

#4 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Holy crap is that crazy.

#5 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I read about this earlier today…so, so sad. :/

#6 pt3

pt3

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

That is unbelievable.  One of the big reasons I started moving away from Magic was that the cost of cards was becoming frighteningly expensive to stay competitive.  It is disappointing to see that escalate to something this tragic….

#7 Mykel The Vile

Mykel The Vile

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Absolutely shocking.

#8 Ignithas

Ignithas

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

I don't get what the cummunity has to do with a murderer, that happenened because of the value of cards in a CCG. That's like the persons that say that every videogamer is bad because of children running amok in schools. Seems like a symptome of "Mine game is much better than yours, so I have to bash it, until everyone knows how right I am".

#9 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Ignithas said:

cummunity

Now there's a name for an adult social network if I ever saw one.

#10 BBSB12

BBSB12

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

After some thought, I 'd say that it's not the issue of the Magic community itself. You just take any random 12 million people on this planet and at least a few would be crazy above average. =/

#11 phoenixember

phoenixember

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

It's not just Magic either. A YuGiOh kid recently got mugged outside my local store by one of his fellow players and got his cards stolen. They've actually had to threaten to stop holding YuGiOh events for reasons of theft, among other crazy reasons (one kid decided to throw chicken all over the store's gaming space).

#12 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

BBSB12 said:

After some thought, I 'd say that it's not the issue of the Magic community itself. You just take any random 12 million people on this planet and at least a few would be crazy above average. =/

Too true, unfortunately. smh

#13 mardukch

mardukch

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Well, that's what happens when there's so much money involved in a game. 

#14 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

phoenixember said:

It's not just Magic either. A YuGiOh kid recently got mugged outside my local store by one of his fellow players and got his cards stolen. They've actually had to threaten to stop holding YuGiOh events for reasons of theft, among other crazy reasons (one kid decided to throw chicken all over the store's gaming space).

When I was in middle school, I had my Pokemon cards stolen. Silver lining, it wasn't a mugging, just taken from my backpack while I was away for a moment, but it was pretty devastating for 12- or 13-year-old me.

#15 Thanos Voidseeker

Thanos Voidseeker

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

I've had a few Magic cards stolen from me while I was not watching for a while too, a few rares that I had just exchanged with some friends. But this…

#16 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

This has nothing to do with the community but the game itself. People walk around with thousands of dollars in their bags/boxes and then take none of precautions that they would take if it was actual cash. It is cognitive disonance.

Like all death it is tragic. No better or worse than any other senseless lethal act of violence. It is shocking because of what was stolen and so any of us are or were or know magic players.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS