Casting Call

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

I was reading about Disney buying Lucasfilm and the possibility for new Star Wars movies and I got to wondering…who do you think they could cast in the major roles that could pull it off? Now, if they were going to skip all the way to The New Jedi Order era, they could conceivably use the same cast. But I doubt they want to do that. So what do you think? Who would be the best options to fill the shoes of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia, and Lando? I was watching Terminator the other night and it occurred to me that Michael Biehn would have made a good fill in for Luke if they'd had to replace him. Granted, he's too old now. But surely there are current options out there. The only one I could think of so far, weak as it is, is Bradley Cooper for Luke. I know I know. But he looks a bit like him to me.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

The EU stuff will likely get ignored or skipped. This will be something new using the old cast and likely a passing of the torch to a new generation.

#3 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

I don't know… Hasn't most of the original cast been outspoken in the desire to leave the Star Wars universe behind?  I thought that Harrison Ford was especially against a reprise as Solo.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

I am sure some will come back, and some won't and likely be written off as dead or just away. And this is all assuming it is set close to the original and not in a totally different time and setting. There is a lot of possibilities.

#5 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

I think it said that the new episodes would be the continuing adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, etc. But it didn't specify how long after the OT the timeline would be. So who knows. I am not sure what to think of all this.

#6 cert13

cert13

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

The Zahn trilogy is what really blew new life back into a failing Star Wars line. His books are the only ones Lucas even acknowledges, after all he was the one who came with Coruscant and Lucas kept and used it in the cannon. That and the fact the Bantam has been pushing the trilogy really hard at all the conventions this year when the books were published back in 1991. The books have all the original core players and flesh out more of the background favorites which all have subplot adventures. The books could be easily divided up into serials for the live action proposed format.

Wedge Antilles: The only character from the original series that appears in all three movies, has only one costume, and still manages to help destroy TWO Death Stars.

#7 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Toqtamish said:

I am sure some will come back, and some won't and likely be written off as dead or just away. And this is all assuming it is set close to the original and not in a totally different time and setting. There is a lot of possibilities.

None will be back. The movies were made more than 30 years ago. Harrison Ford is 70 years old (literally); he couldn't be Han Solo again even if he wanted to.

Edit: Unless you are talking about the fictional characters, then yes, you are totally right.

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Who says it has to have anything whatsoever to do with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie etc? It's a GALAXY, and even if they go with Rebellion era there's a lot of stories to tell. Hell, they could even go with Dash Rendar or something.

One reason my excitement is at a low level is that my hopes were already crushed by the whole T.V. show debacle. I got my hopes up so much for that, and it just went down the drain. So, I'll get excited a couple years from now when/if something actually starts to happen that probably won't suck. I honestly feel pretty let down by the whole franchise - and that's because I love it so. So for now, the Deal barely exists as far as I'm concerned.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

They have said it will continue their stories. As a friend of mine pointed out the actors are currently at the age that they could fill in the 60 year gap in the timeline of the EU stuff where nothing was allowed to be made. 44 ABY to 104 ABY is currently available for stories.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history

#10 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

news.moviefone.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-plot_n_2048998.html

The statements that current EU materials will or could be adapted somewhat implies that they will be respected, but that this trilogy is not about them, means the trilogy is going to take place somewhere that we haven't seen.  Which would probably be somewhere between the Fate of the Jedi and the Legacy series.  I'm not standing by this solidly, but a lot has been done by the Content Management Director to maintain continuity and canonicity in the past several years.  The only real failure in continuity lately was moronic pacifism of the Mandalorians by the cartoon that was a slap in the face to the wonderful culture that Karen Traviss developed in the Republic Commando series and her contributions to the Legacy of the Force series. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#11 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

I am sure quite some time back the Mandalorians were originally portrayed as a long extinct culture, the only remnant of which was Boba Fett's armour, which he had found (or stolen) somewhere. Frankly them being made into some honourable warrior culture which still exists just irritates me, especially with the whitewashing of Boba Fett (who is the character who Darth Vader, one of the most evil men in the galaxy, singles out to warn "And no Disintegrations").

#12 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Honestly, I think it would sort of ruin the entire series if they don't skip forward far enough that Luke & friends aren't all dead.  The old actors either want nothing to do with SW (Ford) or look nothing like they used to (Hamill, Fisher) or both.  If they tried to replace the original actors with new actors…well, that would just be sad.

The best bet is to jump forward 40 years, call the original cast dead, and focus on the 20-30 year old children of our heroes.

#13 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

kmanweiss said:

Honestly, I think it would sort of ruin the entire series if they don't skip forward far enough that Luke & friends aren't all dead.  The old actors either want nothing to do with SW (Ford) or look nothing like they used to (Hamill, Fisher) or both.  If they tried to replace the original actors with new actors…well, that would just be sad.

The best bet is to jump forward 40 years, call the original cast dead, and focus on the 20-30 year old children of our heroes.

Agree 100%

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS