Disney aquires starwars?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 faetheor

faetheor

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Do you forsee Disney getting its mitts on Star Wars having much affect ( or is it effect) on the game license?

#2 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

It hasn't had any real effect on the HeroClix license, positive or negative.  These purchases usually have to be done in such a way to protect any current standing licenses.  Once those periods are up, though, I'd say all bets are off.  Which is why I would be curious what will happen with the Star wars Comic license when it is up for renewal. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#3 lokirising

lokirising

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I just hope Disney doesn't ruin the franchise.

#4 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

lokirising said:

Yeah, because look at what they did when they bought Marvel.  That has been one major disaster after another. 

#5 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

George seems to be really excited about the deal.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#6 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

not sure how I feel about it. I agree that since they bought Marvel, there have been some great Marvel movies, but there were also Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the first Hulk movie that everyone tries to forget. How would they handle episode 7? Recast Han, Luke and Leia? Follow the Thrawn Trilogy? Guess only time will tell

#7 faetheor

faetheor

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm not sure it will affect the comics at all after all they already own marvel which has always had the comic rights.

#8 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Daredevil was an ok movie. The hulk movie had just been done too many times for the movie to get any good marks. Ghost rider 1 and 2 sucked….

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#9 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

faetheor said:

I'm not sure it will affect the comics at all after all they already own marvel which has always had the comic rights.

faetheor said:

To my knowledge, Dark Horse still holds the license for Star Wars, and Marvel does not currently own Dark Horse according to any research I've done.  So, as Disney owns Marvel in it's entirety, not just it's film licensing, and while it may never happen, I would just not be surprised to see the Star Wars license transferred to Marvel once this contract is up. 

#10 faetheor

faetheor

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

HMMM… Lucas originally sold the rights to Stan Lee prior to the release of Star Wars hoping to get the comic nerds ( raises hand) on board for a prehyped audience I wasn't aware that it had gone to dark horse. I may need to get my head up off the gameing table and computer more often …..hmmmm.. nah not gonna happen.

#11 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

faetheor said:

HMMM… Lucas originally sold the rights to Stan Lee prior to the release of Star Wars hoping to get the comic nerds ( raises hand) on board for a prehyped audience I wasn't aware that it had gone to dark horse. I may need to get my head up off the gameing table and computer more often …..hmmmm.. nah not gonna happen.

Yes, it's been a very long time since Marvel had anything to do with Star Wars.  Which is odd, because the Star Wars license and comics actually saved Marvel from bankruptcy in the 80s.  I've never really read them, because they were always a bit too weird until Dark Horse took it over.  I felt DH did a better job, anyways, but regardless, I think DH is a bit concerned according to the language in that article. 

#12 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

lokirising said:

No worries. Lucas took care of that long ago.

#13 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Darkjawa said:

not sure how I feel about it. I agree that since they bought Marvel, there have been some great Marvel movies, but there were also Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the first Hulk movie that everyone tries to forget. How would they handle episode 7? Recast Han, Luke and Leia? Follow the Thrawn Trilogy? Guess only time will tell

Those were all made before Disney bought Marvel. Ghost Rider 2 is about the only sub-par Marvel film since Disney bought them.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#14 cert13

cert13

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

This is the reason i will ALWAYS own VCR just to remeber when Han shot first and just how special it was when I saw the way it used to be…

Wedge Antilles: The only character from the original series that appears in all three movies, has only one costume, and still manages to help destroy TWO Death Stars.

#15 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

cert13 said:

This is the reason i will ALWAYS own VCR just to remeber when Han shot first and just how special it was when I saw the way it used to be…

Amen!

#16 dashrendar

dashrendar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

cert13 said:

This is how I remember Han shot first.

#17 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

lokirising said:

As apposed to what Lucas did with it.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#18 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Chairborne said:

lokirising said:

No worries. Lucas took care of that long ago.

This. 

I honestly can't understand how anyone would view this as anything but a possible positive. It's like when we're working on broken equipment at work and want to try something experimental to fix it. My famous saying, "Well, it's already broken, right?" 

I mean how much worse could Disney possibly  make it? I already don't care as a result of the new trilogy. I can't not care again, y'know? I've already gone through that disappointment of being excited for new Star Wars movies then get let down. It can't really happen again. 

Lastly, in the interest of full disclosure, Disney bought Marvel in 2009. To somehow hold them responsible for Daredevil, the first Hulk movie, etc. is a bit disingenuous. Not saying they will definitely knock it out of the park with a new Star Wars movie, but knowing a little bit about how the entertainment industry works, Disney will probably not have a lot of say in what actually goes on in a Star Wars production anyway. It's not like Bob Iger drives over to ESPN and says, "Hey guys, that LeBron James Decision media stunt was really silly. Let's not do that again.", or says, "Hey Gore Vidal, let's get Keith Richards to play Johnny Depp's dad in Pirates of the Caribbean 2."

Just guessing, but I'd say it's all going to be 10,000 foot view kind of stuff that Disney has say-so over- big budget approvals, distribution deal, merchandising tie-ins, stuff like that. The nuts-and-bolts stuff is still going to be Lucasfilm. 

#19 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Ha, Gore Verbinski, obviously. Sorry about that. Where's the edit button? :)

#20 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

I'd love to see something from the Dark Empire series from Dark Horse or the Jedi Academy stuff.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS