Photo

Business clothes in the Imperium, what would they look like?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Riggswolfe

Riggswolfe

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

In other words, what would the 40k equivalent of a business suit be? I have some characters the PCs will meet who will be wearing the equivalent as I picture these guys as sort of 40k Mafia. So, what does the well-dressed man and woman in 40k wear?

#2 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Gaudy Victorian clothing (bedecked with skulls and aquilas, along with some sort of crest representing their noble house or organization) and gilded augmentics, or nice uniforms if you are a member of one of the Adeptus. 

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#3 Riggswolfe

Riggswolfe

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hmmm….so would something like a Victorian-era tuxedo work complete with cape and all top hat and all that? I ask because I do 3d renders of character and npcs for my gaming group using a program called Daz3d. 

#4 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

If that was the custom on the planet/subsector or even entire sector such clothing would be suitable, yes. Remember, the universe is vast and so is it's diversity. 

#5 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Riggswolfe said:

In other words, what would the 40k equivalent of a business suit be? I have some characters the PCs will meet who will be wearing the equivalent as I picture these guys as sort of 40k Mafia. So, what does the well-dressed man and woman in 40k wear?

Depends what you mean by "business" to a degree. If you're thinking "normal office environment attire," then the largest offce in the galaxy belongs to the Administratum, whose Adepts dress like this:-

However, I'd accept that the Administratum are more like the Imperium's Civil servants rather than "businessmen."

Bear in mind that the Imperium regards "business" in a far more feudal sense than we do. There's no standard "uniform" like the two piece suit for commercial or office use. A "businessman" might be anything from a middle-ranking manufactorium scribe to a Rogue Trader who owns whole planets. 

I'd say that businessmen in 40k are going to be far more colourful than your 21st century businessmen. They'll want to flaunt their wealth, much like merchant princes of the Renaissance. Think Warhammer merchants, that kind of thing:-

Of course, as has already been stated, this will vary enormously from world to world. Some businessmen will be sober and restrained in their attire…but in 40k, I'd tend to say that more is more. 

Given the highly visual nature of the 40k medium, I'd say that a merchants or businessman's appearance will depend heavily upon the nature of his business. A goldsmith might wear a gold robe covered in tiny hammers, symbols of his trade guild, and be bedecked in examples of his work. A notary might wear a seal around his neck marked by the sign of a quill. And so on…  

#6 Riggswolfe

Riggswolfe

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Thank you everyone. This has given me a lot to think about and work with!

#7 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

In an Imperium of a million worlds, practically any type of clothing is likely as can be witnessed in the different Imperial Guard regiments. Civilians will similary dress from mediaeval cyberpunk to 20th century style clothing.

The fluff (and its attendant pictures) show that the various adepta (originally the priesthood of Terra) tend to mirror the Roman empire and monks in outfits so think robes and cassocks.

As for nobles, businessmen etc., the general look seems to be consistent with the 18th century (and not the Victorian age as suggested by Plushy). Think Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette but with skulls, cyberware augmentations and big handguns. If you have either the Dark Heresy adventure books or Rogue Trader books, the NPC’s are very iconic with wigs, breeches, tricornes and bicornes etc.

If you wish to highlight the difference between nobles and merchants, you could use historical examples. For example, in some cultures commoners (including very rich merchants) were not allowed to wear certain materials or colours while in others merchants would dress far more lavishly than nobles to show their wealth. And in some cultures where merchants were heavily taxed, they would dress very soberly so as not to attract attention.

#8 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Riggswolfe said:

Renaisannce (sp?) thru 18th-century nobles are a good template for 40K royalty and wealthy magnates, as others have said, but from your original post it sounds to me like you are asking about more 'nondescript' businessmen? In that case, I think Victorian menswear makes for a good template- dark, double-breasted jackets with wide folded cuffs and high colars, possibly knee-length or with tails, and matching trousers. Maybe splice in a few 18th century elements- a cravat instead of a tie, and a tricord hat? Worn with a cloak or greatcoat outdoors. That's how I would describe '40K mobsters' trying to look like businessmen/bureaucrats/factotums/etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS