Because it's Star Wars related news…

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

And it definitely has a possible impact on this game since there's a 2+ year planned release arc for the products…

It seems the rat is acquiring LFL.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#2 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

“It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Ep 7 slated for 2015. 

I can only see this as a good thing (for the films). After Ep1-3, it's only up from here.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#3 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

At first - I didn't know how to feel about this.  It's DISNEY, for yoda's sake.

BUT… they did acquire both Pixar and Marvel in recent years.  And they've held the IP torches of those companies very high - and been very successful with them. 

Maybe this ain't such a bad thing.  And… oh yeah - EPISODE 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#4 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

GM Chris said:

At first - I didn't know how to feel about this.  It's DISNEY, for yoda's sake.

BUT… they did acquire both Pixar and Marvel in recent years.  And they've held the IP torches of those companies very high - and been very successful with them. 

Maybe this ain't such a bad thing.  And… oh yeah - EPISODE 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This. I was extremely worried when Marvel was acquired by Disney, but the big D has let Marvel do some REALLY phenomenal stuff! Here's hoping SW gets the same treatment.

Does this mean FFG can revise the contract to get PDF rights?

-EF

#5 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Now we're back to where Star Wars was in the 80s… no GL directing or writing scripts (alone)… this might actually be mediocre stuff, I LIKE IT!

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#6 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Interesting.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#7 Exalted5

Exalted5

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was actually just down in Disney last week… 

.. if the Star Wars ride is any indication of how they'll do with the movies, I'm happy.  :)

#8 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I hope Disney will release restored original version of the original trilogy. Let Han shoot first again!

Curious what impact this will have on FFG though. Probably none, other than giving them more material to tap into. Hopefully when the license is up, FFG can renew it and make even more cool games. I can't think of a game company that I'd rather see holding the Star Wars license.

#9 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Apologies for the double post

#10 EngageEight

EngageEight

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Venthrac said:

I hope Disney will release restored original version of the original trilogy. Let Han shoot first again!

Curious what impact this will have on FFG though. Probably none, other than giving them more material to tap into. Hopefully when the license is up, FFG can renew it and make even more cool games. I can't think of a game company that I'd rather see holding the Star Wars license.

Umm Han was the only one who shot. Just saying.

#11 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

EngageEight said:

Venthrac said:

Umm Han was the only one who shot. Just saying.

Yep, very glad I got dvd copies of the theatrical releases - which they aren't but at least they're pre-1997 mess up. But its nice to see old school fxs and only models, no modern (even 90s) cgi.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Venthrac said:

As nice as it might seem, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Other than a lack of direct Lucas involvement, I get a feeling that Disney is going to take a similar approach to how they handled things when they purchased Pixar and Marvel.  In short, let them keeping doing what they are doing, so long as it's successful.  It's an approach that worked pretty darn well in regards to Pixar, and Avengers has pretty much become the measuring stick for successful superhero action movie (I'd contend that Dark Knight is less a superhero movie and more of a character-driven psuedo-noir piece).

Since the Blu-Rays are the "definitive vision" of the property's creator, I doubt Disney is going to release the theatrical versions.  Heck, there may even be a clause in the purchase contract that prohibits going back and undoing the changes.

I also doubt there's going to be any short-term changes for FFG, as the details of their contract with Lucasfilm were set and signed off on for well over a year now.  Maybe some things might change when it comes time to renew/renegotiate the contract, but that's likely to be several years off in the distance.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#13 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Initial thoughts:

What will an Episode 7 do to EU? I'm not an EU fan myself and so hope Ep 7's plot isn't restrained by the EU. But for those who do love the EU, this could throw things all into chaos.

I don't think Disney + Star Wars is necessarily a bad thing. I don't think Disney is so stupid to have a plot such as Young Princess Skywalker and the 7 Ewoks. I don't think it will be G Star Wars, hopefully PG-13.

What does this do for FFG? Good or bad? PDF's will become available? Did someone at FFG already have an inkling this was coming? The 2015 could fit nicely into FFG's schedule, for example. Three Core books released around the settings of Ep 4-6 in time for new releases for Ep. 7.

#14 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

There is, I believe, an official Marvel branded superhero roleplaying game out there at the moment, so it would seem Disney owned companies are not impossible for RPG makers to work with.

Er, Marvel are a Disney owned company these days aren't they?

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#15 Corradus

Corradus

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I see some remakes.  IMO, they'll get all new casts and start at Epsiode IV.  You can't make any movies with the old cast.  Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher very much look their ages, so you'd have to set Episode VII waaaaaay out past the Vong Invasion and I am not so sure that would work.  Not to mention the fact that I am pretty sure at this stage in their lives stuffing Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker back into their costumes would be really hard on them physically.  Also, new actors cost less.  Episodes I, II and III have been rendered radioactive so I doubt they'll be touched.

You know what would be intriguing though?  A brand new story, with brand new characters.  Set anywhere, anytime, free of the baggage of expectations and entitled fans.  Just take it and run with it.  I bet they haven't the stones for it though.  Sad really.

#16 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'd actually be fairly happy if they got in J.J. Abrams to do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek. That movie was a lot of fun. About the only things I didn't like were the links to the old continuity and the, er, plot.

#17 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sturn said:

Initial thoughts:

What will an Episode 7 do to EU? I'm not an EU fan myself and so hope Ep 7's plot isn't restrained by the EU. But for those who do love the EU, this could throw things all into chaos.

I don't think Disney + Star Wars is necessarily a bad thing. I don't think Disney is so stupid to have a plot such as Young Princess Skywalker and the 7 Ewoks. I don't think it will be G Star Wars, hopefully PG-13.

What does this do for FFG? Good or bad? PDF's will become available? Did someone at FFG already have an inkling this was coming? The 2015 could fit nicely into FFG's schedule, for example. Three Core books released around the settings of Ep 4-6 in time for new releases for Ep. 7.

Sturn said:

Initial thoughts:

Well, considering that the 360 odd star wars book titles that do exist have sold about 160 million copies, bad math and all things considered, means that that there's not many people who have read (all) these books (some people buy a book, don't read it, some people buy many copies and so on), compared to people that have watched the films… someone somewhere said 30%, I think its much less of the fan base that have read or kept up to date on the Expanded Universe's various molestations of the universe - I am one of those people though. Most people have a relationship to the films - this is what they're going to take into account, I think…? fear…? hope..?

So I don't think (hope?) we're getting the Thrawn Trilogy - not even in a Shamalalamalalamaman messed up way like that dreadful film Avatar: the last airbender, which was a complete cockup of the animated series - random scenes where included, but there was no continuity and all that… I seriously hope they stay away from such a collage of the various (70 odd) authors' visions of somesuch Star Warsy thing and story.

#18 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Corradus said:

You know what would be intriguing though?  A brand new story, with brand new characters.  Set anywhere, anytime, free of the baggage of expectations and entitled fans.  Just take it and run with it.  I bet they haven't the stones for it though.  Sad really.

Well, the six films that do exist are the Skywalker saga (see starwars.com "trailer") - anything beyond that could be about someone else, its what GL wanted to do with that tv-series that has disappeared (for now).

#19 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I trembled when I read the news.

Whether out of excitement or fear (or some combination of the two), I don't know…

I'll be hoping for the best and expecting the wor… who am I kidding - I'll be expecting the best as well, but prepared for disappointment.

:)

Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Beta test) resources

Reference Sheets | Combat Reference Sheet | Critical Cards | Talent Tree Reference

#20 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

A Star Wars remake could do a lot to help Star Wars gaming.

More Jedi in the Rebellion period for a start. Limit hyperspace jumps to set routes and jump points possibly.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS