• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Breaking news.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/disney-buying-star-wars-maker-lucasfilm-17601095

#2 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Surely this is a hoax… right?  We do not need more movies.

#3 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thunder_Chicken said:

Surely this is a hoax… right?  We do not need more movies.

More and more sources are reporting it.  If it's a hoax, it's taking off quickly.  I'll wait for more information before I decide to believe it.

#4 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Dog Solitude said:

Could be a giant hoax, but if not…it's definitely interesting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/disney-buying-star-wars-maker-lucasfilm-17601095

Disney has a "kiddie" reputation because of their theme parks and channels but they are pretty good at managing brands. Look what they managed to do with Marvel so far.

It can't be worse than what George Lucas has done with the franchise. I don't think Disney would have let the Vong happen, or Luuke, or any of the other terrible stuff that is now cannon.

#5 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

I wonder how they will treat the canon.  Will they expand on previously published stuff, or just branch out with new stuff and leave the existing material alone?  Will they change the Spaceship Earth ball at EPCOT to look like the Death Star?  

I also wonder how it will effect licensing agreements with companies like FFG.

#6 Vagabond Nomad

Vagabond Nomad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

After the mess George made with the prequel trilogy, is this where he turns to the bartender (Disney), tosses them a coin, and as he walks out says, "Sorry for the mess…" ???

#7 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Dog Solitude said:

I wonder how they will treat the canon.  Will they expand on previously published stuff, or just branch out with new stuff and leave the existing material alone?  Will they change the Spaceship Earth ball at EPCOT to look like the Death Star?  

I also wonder how it will effect licensing agreements with companies like FFG.

Usually licensing agreements stay the same. When Disney bought Marvel, Universal didn't remove all the Marvel super heroes from Universal Studios.

#8 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

"Star Wars Episode VII, to be followed not just by VIII and IX, but “a new Star Warsfeature film every two to three years,” according to Disney CEO Bob Iger."

#9 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

WHat does this mean for FFG Licenced Star Wars Products??!!! Holy ****…

#10 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Atraangelis said:

WHat does this mean for FFG Licenced Star Wars Products??!!! Holy ****…

Not much most likely. 

#11 Captain Mayhem

Captain Mayhem

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Just heard that Disney bought the Star wars rights et al for 4 billion dollars? does that seem right? 

#12 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

That's what I've seen.  Didn't they buy Pixar for $7 billion?  Who would have guessed that Pixar would be worth more than Star Wars?  They also got Indiana Jones, ILM, and Skywalker Sound.

#13 Captain Mayhem

Captain Mayhem

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Dog Solitude said:

That's what I've seen.  Didn't they buy Pixar for $7 billion?  Who would have guessed that Pixar would be worth more than Star Wars?  They also got Indiana Jones, ILM, and Skywalker Sound.

Look at what Pixar has done though, I would think they would bring in more than Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Pixar is THE cash cow for Disney

#14 Prathin

Prathin

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

4.05 Billion I read.  Half in cash, half in stock. Also with such a long relationship between the two, with rides and shows in the parks, it makes more sense than partnering with James Cameron for Avatarland. I am all for this.

#15 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Captain Mayhem said:

Dog Solitude said:

Look at what Pixar has done though, I would think they would bring in more than Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Pixar is THE cash cow for Disney

True.  But tell that to someone 10, 20 years ago, and they'd never believe you.

#16 Xploiter

Xploiter

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Its offical

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Embedded link for ease of use. Lucas explains the decision and talks future movies.

www.youtube.com/watch

#18 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

If it wasnt the horse speaking I wouldnt beleive it

#19 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Torresse said:

If it wasnt the horse speaking I wouldnt beleive it

I can't find the article off hand, but this was fairly predictable for the past year.  He announced his 'retirement' a around a year ago, and LFL has always had a healthy relationship with Disney that had been building even more steam in the last couple years.  I say this, mostly, for those with fears about the effect on the gaming license.  The philosophy of placing the franchise in good hands so he can step back seems to have been underway when it came to the current license with FFG.  Granted, I doubt any of us have any insight into whether or not the great talent at FFG is concerned, but I would think, considering the timing, that this was all part of the bigger plan. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#20 Captain Mayhem

Captain Mayhem

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Kind of strange that on the day Disney gets Star Wars, Chapter VII is announced! Makes me wonder just when the negotiations had started.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS