• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Diocletian

Diocletian

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a long time GM of Deathwatch and am finally getting a chance to play. However, I am having trouble deciding on a character. My favorite Chapters are Ultrmarines, Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, and Carcharadons. I want to play something very group oriented so I know I probably will play a Tactical Marine for all of the Squad Mode goodies. There are so many chapters with so many good looking squad mode abilities, but which are really the best? Thank you.

#2 steg51

steg51

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Define "best".  Do you mean best like does the most damage, takes tactical control of a gun fight, or what? 

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Go with whatever fits your concept and whatever is your favourite chapter. That's really all there is to it.

Otherwise every powergamer and his mother would go Imperial Fists for their psykers (+10 Willpower? Wooooo!).

I'd got with a Carcharadon for a Tactical Marine.

A Tactical Marine with stabby-stabby.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 BrotherTenparo

BrotherTenparo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Depends on what you want to specialize in: Ultramarines have good abilities in regards to leadership and the fact you can choose which stats to raise leaves room for some tactical flexibility, Imperial Fists specialize in defensive ability and their high WP can be very useful for a psyker. Carcharadons tend to favor stealth tactics, and intensive close combat. Think like if a Blood Angel and Raven Guard combined. Dark Angels have some good defensive abilities combined with some the heaviest firepower in the game especially the Deathwing terminator. Really it's a matter of what playstyle you like

#5 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm a sucker for the Ravenwing alt rank, so my vote goes towards Dark Angels.

However, you really should choose whatever character sounds most interesting to you, more than mechanics.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#6 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I went for Space Marine Poster Child and I'm super happy with it.

I rolled up an Ultramarine Tactical Marine and just spent everything on making him the ideal leader (eventual Watch Captain very likely). So, when we go on a mission where I'm the leader - whcih almost always - our cohesiion is 12. And of course I have loads of abilities to regain cohesion. I'm having a blast "coordinating" our assaults.

#7 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

yeah, what Plushy said….unless you really like to min/max yer character (and that seems unlikely as you are asking us for tips instead of already knowing what uber combo is the unstoppably bestest).  Pick something that will be fun to roleplay with your group - good stats can get tedious real quick unless that's ALL you want…usually, it's the failed rolls that make for the most memorable rpg moments.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS