I used a Nero-Altar combination, and confirmed its use with Damon, on October 22, as follows.
Please confirm that I have understood the following situation correctly:
1. Altar of the Blessed is in play. (The text box Reads: "Characters you control get +1 skill".)
2. I legally attach The Necronomicon: Olaus Wormius Translation to one of my characters that is in play. In particular, to a Ghoulish Predator (whose skill is currently 4+1=5).
3. I initiate the Necronomicon's action: "Sacrifice attached character and shuffle The Necronomicon back into your deck to put into play all characters from your discard pile with less skill than the attached character."
4. There in no disruption and there is no Snow Graves on my discard pile, etc.
5. The Necronomicon's action resolves and I put into play all characters from my discard pile with skill 4 or less, including the just sacrificed Ghoulish Predator (whose skill after being sacrificed and entering the discard pile is 4).
It take the crucial fact to be that while the Ghoulish Predator is in play under my control, he has skill 5 (due to the Alter). After he enters the discard pile, he has skill 4, since he is no longer a character that I control.
"There was a small change to the rules roughly two months ago, for timing purposes, that has made this the way the cards works.
The cards involved are under examination to see if it creates an unbalancing effect on the game."